Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jofelicia
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-11-2010, 09:56 AM

Little and Large dogs- Poops!

I am struggling to get my 1 yr old Pug x to understand house training and would appreciate any input that could be given.

I have 2 dogs, a 3 yr old lab who is the most wonderful, well-behaved dog I could wish for. He has no problems with his toileting and understands where and when to do it.

The problem is Bryan, my 1 yr old Pug x. He always had problems understanding as it was very cold weather when we had him so we attempted paper training. This resulted in him doing his business anywhere but the paper!! We had more luck when we showed him the garden and he evenutally seemed to get the hang of things.

Then he discovered that he was a boy!!! He started cocking his leg on everything and sometimes everyone and this was also accompanied by little presents nearly everyday!!! When we had him castrated that has all but put and end to the watery accidents in the house but he is still pooing whenever the mood takes him. He never asks to go out, he will just toddle of and do it! Last night he did it on the door mat when I popped out to the shop so when we came back and opened the door it smeared all over the hall way! GROSS!

He is fed twice a day on a generic dog food, and was wondering whether a more expensive food would help as less waste product would be produced.

Any ideas greatfully received.

Jo xx
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 11:38 AM
Firstly, hi!

OK, setting aside food for the moment, you need to go back to treating Bryan like a puppy again for the purposes of toilet training.

Make sure he is taken outside after eating, after playing, on waking up etc; this should be at least once an hour.

However, don't just let him outside in the garden - ensure you go out with him and use your toilet word - this can be 'toilet', or 'be clean' or 'poo-poo' - whatever you want really. When he has done his poo's, make a big deal out of it and give him a treat. If he poo's in the house, just clean it up. Don't tell him off, don't use the 'toilet' word. Do it quietly and calmly (though you might be frustrated etc inside).

This could take weeks before Bryan realises he has to poo outside!

In terms of food - what sort of generic dog food - Pedigree? Bakers? Supermarket own brand?
Do you feed both dogs on this?

A better quality food will often produce less waste. I swapped foods earlier this year and can't get over the difference!
Jofelicia
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-11-2010, 12:30 PM
Hi and thanks for you reply. I think it is a good idea to start Bryan from the beginning with regards to toileting. It is becoming quite a problem for my husband and he keeps threatening to sell him!! (He won't!)

I will try him on a better food but really cannot afford to spend a huge amount on high end foods. Both dogs eat the same food which is usually the own brand from the local feed merchant. The older dog is fine with whatever he has ( on a diet!)

The only other thing that the little one has is cat food whenever he can steal it from cats!!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by Jofelicia View Post
I will try him on a better food but really cannot afford to spend a huge amount on high end foods. Both dogs eat the same food which is usually the own brand from the local feed merchant. The older dog is fine with whatever he has ( on a diet!)

The only other thing that the little one has is cat food whenever he can steal it from cats!!
I used to buy a working dog food from the local agri-store and the dogs did fine on it; however, I decided to change to Arden Grange and although the food itself costs more, I'm not feeding as much of it at every meal; and the dogs are doing better on it generally.

Often, you need to feed quite a bit of the cheaper foods to fill your dog up, whereas with a better quality food, you won't be feeding as much.
Jofelicia
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-11-2010, 12:51 PM
A good point. I also have been thinking that I maybe feeding too much. TBH I don't really measure it and just give him a cup full. He is full of energy (and poop!) and his weight and condition are perfect for his size. He has stayed exactly the same weight since for months so I am wondering if he the excess food he maybe receiving is being expelled as energy and poop! I don't want his weight to drop but am fed up of clearing up his presents!!
Jofelicia
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-11-2010, 12:53 PM
Thought I should mention that he weighs 9 kilos! His friend Mutley weighs 40 kilos!
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 01:35 PM
Hi
I never thought much of the dog food pooing thing as my dogs have always eaten the same thing, and I have never had any problems, however one of my year old pups Bryony would always poo in the night.
I have now changed thier food, as a friend that works for a farming store brought me some dog food over from the UK (Dr Johns) when she came to visit, since I started using that no pooing, amazing. (Trouble is I now have to find something the same here.)
So changing the food may well make a difference to your Bryan.
Jenn~n~Luke
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2010, 01:08 PM
I definitely agree that premium foods cost you less in the long run. You feed less because the body digests more thus, less waste and they don't feel as hungry since their body is actually using most of what's in the food.
I'm sorry I kind of chuckle now when small dog owners talk about poop. I never knew what dog poop was until I had Luke lol. And we had many large breed dogs over the years. Good luck with your boy.