Female 

17-06-2005, 09:17 PM
I would put him in the middle, yes....

He's gorgeous
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2005, 09:20 PM
Pip is looking so well Ashlady, I'm no Lab expert but it looks to me like hes got the tail of a show lab, I think they tend to be shorter and thicker, whereas the working lines seem to be more whippy, hes got quite a showy head as well, but hes longer legged than the show type, and not as heavy in the shoulders, which is bound to be easier on his joints in the long run.
Though I am sure one of the others can be more accurate, it is a very interesting subject though, and I am surprised at how many breeds this division seems to be occuring in.
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2005, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by Het
Pip is looking so well Ashlady, I'm no Lab expert but it looks to me like hes got the tail of a show lab, I think they tend to be shorter and thicker, whereas the working lines seem to be more whippy, hes got quite a showy head as well, but hes longer legged than the show type, and not as heavy in the shoulders, which is bound to be easier on his joints in the long run.
Though I am sure one of the others can be more accurate, it is a very interesting subject though, and I am surprised at how many breeds this division seems to be occuring in.
Hiya mate, I'm just finding this fascinating, I've not ever had a dog for showing or working, just as pets and thick as I may seem, had not heard of this 'division' in breeds before.

So here's a question, how can both types of the same breed be pedigree, surely at some stage something else has been introduced to come up with two totally different looks??
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2005, 09:34 PM
I would place him as a middle category too ashlady from the pic you have just shown and previous pics ive seen, he not chunky enough to be show and not skinny enough to be working, so join the middle labs club ashlady!
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2005, 09:35 PM
Well then you should have seen my face, when I joined the labrador site!!

I've never seen sooo many different labbies.. Its really wild
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2005, 09:46 PM
Well before i got oscar i did alot of reading up on them and got a few books so i knew about show and working labs, but until today i never knew which group oscar fitted into now i no!!hes a middle group lab!!
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2005, 09:48 PM
Can't answer this in regard to labs, but with the GSPs , all the show lines trace back to a handful of dogs and obviously they have carefully bred in the traits that were considered breed standard, i know on Islas pedigree the same dogs appear three and four times, on both her dam and sires side. The working lines seem to have a more German influence - going by Murphys pedigree, and that is certainly where his colouring comes from, apparently a lot of black dogs were introduced into this country from Germany to strengthen the working stock, they tend to be much bigger and heavier coated, also longer in the back, more desirable in the field.
However in GSPs there does seem to be a smaller division than in the labs, with a lot of dual winning dogs, Islas sire is twice Best of Breed at crufts and a Field Trial Champ, although again dogs competing in Field Trials may bear no resemblance to the Gamekeepers dogs down the road who still have a good Pedigree in their own right.Of course one of the biggest divisions you see is in the English Springer, and Zack - my springer- is just a total confusion
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2005, 09:48 PM
He he and so is Luna
Page 7 of 13 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »