Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2005, 07:38 PM
Oh yeah about weight...

My Luna is apparently a great deal lighter than most of the labs on the labrador site I am on..

My Luna is 22 inches (about 56 cm) and weighs between 55-57 lbs (25-26 kg) so she's an ickle thing.. Most of their labs weighs 70 lbs or more..

Luna cant run as fast for as long as Bella the gsd, but she catch her
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2005, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by amts
I would have liked to put in two pictures. One of a working lab and one of the show type.
Unforetenally I only have pics of the working type (Ally) and I need to get permission before "steeling" a pic of a showtype and showing it here.
If anyones interested I would be happy to call or write someone and get permission to show their picture of the show lab here.

But its not all about looks really. Its also about if they are able to work as breed for... Some breeders are more interested in showing and the (atleast in DK) judges has supported this division of show and working, so we today have two types of dogs; the smaller, faster and more energetic type of lab and the heavier, slower and more laid back lab that havent done a days work in generations.

Theres no doubt from my descriebtions what I find the "better dog" is there?
And its not to come down on any showlab, its because I find it very sad that this devision of the lab have taken place.
To me its ok that some doesnt want to work their dog, but IMO understanding your dog for what it is, is the first step to have a good relationsship and happy times with it.
A labrador is a retriever and should be treated as such.
See, now you learn something everyday. I, in my ignorance, didn't know there were different types of Lab, so thanks for that Amts, I appreciate you taking the time to explain.

That also solves a mystery for me, in that, there is another black lab in our grove and she is alot smaller than Pip, now I know why!
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2005, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by Lu-1
In relation to Jessicas Overwieght Show Labs, post i promised to post links of the following sites. Here are 2 links to sites that breed the working style Labrador, there were more but these are the eRaze approved ones, anyway have a look.
http://www.gaytonwood.co.uk/
http://www.humblebeelabradors.co.uk/
Thanks for that Luke, very interesting
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2005, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by Gems
Ill try and explain J Im rubbish at explaining so bear with me!

A show type lab :
http://www.ridgewaylabradors.co.uk/y...chloe_show.htm

Will typically have a large blocky head, short coupled (short legged), the dog looks very chunky!

Working lab:
http://www.ridgewaylabradors.co.uk/y...ador_honey.htm
Will have a slimline body, long legged, almost like the physique of a pointer.

Then you have the dogs in the middle of these groups (my fave), luna and oscar, a dog with both working and show dogs in the pedigree, the perfect lab! physically fit but still with the trademark lovely big head, which can be lost in working labs!

hope that helps!
Gems you little star you, that clears it all up nicely. Having seen both types of Lab, I would hope that Pip falls in the middle group, because he is 'tall' and athletic but is still 'fleshy' and with a big head.

If I am wrong, someone feel free to correct me
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2005, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by Gems
Ill try and explain J Im rubbish at explaining so bear with me!

A show type lab :
http://www.ridgewaylabradors.co.uk/y...chloe_show.htm

Will typically have a large blocky head, short coupled (short legged), the dog looks very chunky!

Working lab:
http://www.ridgewaylabradors.co.uk/y...ador_honey.htm
Will have a slimline body, long legged, almost like the physique of a pointer.

Then you have the dogs in the middle of these groups (my fave), luna and oscar, a dog with both working and show dogs in the pedigree, the perfect lab! physically fit but still with the trademark lovely big head, which can be lost in working labs!

hope that helps!
Thanks gems that helped alot!! def in the middle!not to big or small, but perfect we have the perfect labs J just like gems said!
I no oscars mum was a working lab as it was a farm but i think the dad was a middle lab like oscar! thanks for all your help everyone!
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2005, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by bellaluna
It doesnt really matter to me, what Luna is... But it was just interesting to know
Same here J it does not matter to me i like him just the way he is! but its good to no from people that have experienced all labs!
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2005, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by ZoeH
Same here J it does not matter to me i like him just the way he is! but its good to no from people that have experienced all labs!
Definately agree Nat

And Gem knows a lot...
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2005, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by ZoeH
Thanks gems that helped alot!! def in the middle!not to big or small, but perfect we have the perfect labs J just like gems said!
I no oscars mum was a working lab as it was a farm but i think the dad was a middle lab like oscar! thanks for all your help everyone!
Hi Nat, wow what an excellent thread, I've learnt so much. Having read the info I now understand the title better. If 'show' labs are kinda fat anyway, what does a fat show lab look like!

Line up folks, the rep points are on me!!
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2005, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by Ashlady
Gems you little star you, that clears it all up nicely. Having seen both types of Lab, I would hope that Pip falls in the middle group, because he is 'tall' and athletic but is still 'fleshy' and with a big head.

If I am wrong, someone feel free to correct me
Do you have a pic of Pip standing? I saw the one in the pool but its a ībit difficult to see with the water and all..
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2005, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by bellaluna
Do you have a pic of Pip standing? I saw the one in the pool but its a ībit difficult to see with the water and all..
Leave it with me, I'll have a look, if not I'll take one tomorrow.
Page 6 of 13 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »