Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2008, 03:20 PM

Does Anyone Here Judge?

Just curious if we have any judges amongst our members?

Being nosey really!!! If so, be lovely to see who judges which breeds and how long they have judged etc. Your story so to speak!
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-01-2008, 03:45 PM
I have to say I love judging! There's nothing like giving yourself a headache coz you're trying to decide which of the three or four fabulous dogs you've got in front of you is going to win! The downside is trying to decide which of the dogs in front of you to put up when you have a class of dogs that are - how shall we say - not so desirable

I judge the Hound, Toy, Utility and Terrier Groups and BIS at Open level and award CCs. I've been judging at Open level and above since 1991. I judged at Crufts in 1998 with no CCs (in a breed I had back then) and am doing the breed I've had for 25 years with CCs there this year - something I'm very much looking forward to! I've also done our Club Ch show in this breed too, which was my first ever CC appointment.

Judging is something I feel very strongly about. Judges must judge the dogs in front of them without fear or favour and with total honesty.

My biggest disappointment was withholding a Reserve CC. It was an awful thing to have to do but when you read the writing on the green cards you realise what you're putting your name to! If the quality is not there judges must withhold IMO.

My best moment was finding what I consider to be THE best example of my breed I've ever seen when judging at East of England Ch show one year. All I wanted to do was keep staring at this gorgeous vision as he went round the ring!

Debs
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2008, 06:03 PM
I have judged Malamutes ......... only twice so far but was fun
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-01-2008, 08:04 PM
Yes I've judged a few times, so I'm not an experienced judge as it were. I get very, very nervous, so I spend the week before dosing myself up with Rescue Remedy.

Dawn R.
perrodeagua
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-01-2008, 11:49 PM
Judged Pomeranian's a number of years ago when I was a wipper snapper! At my first show my BOB came fourth in BIS and this was at a time when all the breeds stayed. It was at Newark in one of the old hangers and the breeds went all the way up one side, across the top and back down the other side. My BP was also pulled out in the last 5!!

I must admit judging isn't really for me, though I did enjoy judging Spanish Water Dogs in Spain last year, I was the first British person to have judged the breed at a breed show!
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2008, 09:20 AM
Fascinating, thanks for answering.

Wow, Surannon - weren't you nervous at Crufts with all the cameras and everything! I'd have felt sick! I enjoyed reading your best and worst moments. I guess as an exhibitor you kind of forget what the judge must be going through in the ring too! (not that I have much experience of that either!!)

Finding a great example of the breed must be a thrill, I can well imagine.

Muddiwarx, do you judge at Champ shows?

Dawn - Oh you poor thing, you don't think of judges getting nervous too!

Perrodeagua - being the first British judge to go to Spain to judge Spanish Water Dogs, wow - that is fab, what a lovely honour.

Had to laugh when you mentioned those hangers in Newark - I used to live in Grimsby and showed there a few times at Open level. I used to hate those hangers!!!

It is so interesting to get the 'other viewpoint' on showing. I never thought about what a judge feels when the dog they have picked goes to do well, like BIS.

Thanks for your answers, very much enjoyed reading them.
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-01-2008, 10:26 AM
I've judged Siberians several times and Malamutes twice. Really enjoyed it.

Mick
susanatlasinski
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-01-2008, 10:44 AM
I have been judging since 1995 and I Judge Siberians at CC level and judge the working group at open level. I enjoy judging and get nervous in the run up to my appointment but I'm Ok when I get started.
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-01-2008, 01:25 PM
Yep, i judge several breeds - usually of the spitz/primative varieties though occasionally others in the pastoral and working groups.

I've judged at Open and Limit shows, as well as match meetings which are great fun as a starting out place and you often get breeds you wouldn't usually accept classes for which makes it interesting (says she that got to try and get 4 13 week old westie puppies in the right order (according to their breeder) last month)

I do enjoy judging, but in my own breed, being numerically small I do find it a little odd when I tend to know all the dogs I am going over by their pet names.

K
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2008, 07:07 PM
Judged malamutes a few times.

Mo
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >