Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2006, 10:40 AM

Any suggestions on how to make Lokis pen more interesting for him

Loki stays in a pen at work durring the day, it is a pen made from a wooden gate and fencing on one side and walls on the other side and is inside. I hope one day Loki will be calm enough to be in my office with me durring the day but at the moment he is too excitable about meeting new people and would be jumping all over customers and causing a nightmare!
So he stays in his pen, I go and play with him on my breaks, so thats 10-15 mins at about 11am 20-30 minutes at about 1pm and 10-15mins at 3.30-4pm when I let him out for a wee then go into his pen with him and play fetch, have a cuddle and do some training.
His pen is a good size and has a large plastic bed in for him to lie in and some toys, including a treat ball which is filled uop when I leave and often at the moment he has a frozen kong, but Id love to make it more interesting for him! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Also he likes to chew and has started chewing the wood on his pen, theres always splinters all over the floor when I go in, it cant be good for him he loves chews but I am worried which ones are safest to leave with him, he does have a rawhid roll in there at the moment which he eats loads of at home but never bothers with at work! Any sugestions of good hard chews that are safe to leave him would be appreciated too, he is only 7 months old.
ThanksX
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-08-2006, 10:48 AM
If he is teething (which it sounds as though he is) a wet tea towel knotted and frozen will help soothe his mouth.

A huge marrow bone (beef thigh bone) with any loose gristly bits removed from the ends is a good recreational object and would be safer than a rawhide chew.

He probably spends more time asleep than you may think.
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-08-2006, 11:53 AM
Your lucky to be able to take your dog to work with you and that they provide him with a pen ! Where do you work ? Can I join you ?

Only kidding, mine come to work with me, but only one at a time and only when the boss isnt in as it's to crowded in here (my office is a converted bedroom ) and they have to lay under my desk when I have people come in, they are getting much better and just ignore people now.

Back to your post though (I get distracted to easily )

How about a stuffed kong ? Or a kong with peanut butter in it ? They work a treat and I leave them for my dogs occassionally, but like SB has said he probably spends a lot of the time asleep, I leave mine at home for 8 hours a day (OH goes home during the day sometimes) and I know when I have gone home, because they live outside, when I peer out the window they are nearly always sleeping.

I wouldnt worry to much about him, but I would look to provide a bone or something for him to chew on or something interesting so he has something to sink his teeth into and a bone should do that
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2006, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
If he is teething (which it sounds as though he is) a wet tea towel knotted and frozen will help soothe his mouth.

A huge marrow bone (beef thigh bone) with any loose gristly bits removed from the ends is a good recreational object and would be safer than a rawhide chew.

He probably spends more time asleep than you may think.
Thankyou for your reply!
I had assumed he had stopped teething as his gums dont look as red and angry as they did but perhaps I am wrong, what age do they stop teething generally?
He does often have a wet knoted tea towel havent tied freezing it though so will try that!

Is a huge marrow bone to safe to leave him with then I will try to get him one, he has chicken wings a few time a week but havent tried a large recreational bone yet. I assume you mean a raw one not the horrid roast ones from places like PAH?
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2006, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by Willow
Your lucky to be able to take your dog to work with you and that they provide him with a pen ! Where do you work ? Can I join you ?

Only kidding, mine come to work with me, but only one at a time and only when the boss isnt in as it's to crowded in here (my office is a converted bedroom ) and they have to lay under my desk when I have people come in, they are getting much better and just ignore people now.

Back to your post though (I get distracted to easily )

How about a stuffed kong ? Or a kong with peanut butter in it ? They work a treat and I leave them for my dogs occassionally, but like SB has said he probably spends a lot of the time asleep, I leave mine at home for 8 hours a day (OH goes home during the day sometimes) and I know when I have gone home, because they live outside, when I peer out the window they are nearly always sleeping.

I wouldnt worry to much about him, but I would look to provide a bone or something for him to chew on or something interesting so he has something to sink his teeth into and a bone should do that
Thankyou Willow, yes I am very lucky to have him here, it would be horrible not to have him here for my breaks now I am so used to getting to play and train with him through out the day now. I hated leaving him at home before and would worry about him all day particually if he was off colour, but now if I need to I can pop down to check on him every hour or so if hes not well (I dont do this normally because it confuses him if I go in but cant stay and play with him.) He already has a stuffed kong or treat ball to keep him occupied and he does seem to sleep most of the time but wondered if there was anything I could do to make his pen and being in his pen more fun for him.
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2006, 02:47 PM
Is there no one else at work with a young dog that they could bring in?
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2006, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by Donna&Zuki
Is there no one else at work with a young dog that they could bring in?
No fraid not, he would love that! My OH's mum (its a family buisness) takes her two dogs but unfortunatly introducing them didnt go to well, and the younger of the two, initially took to Loki then atacked him for no reason we could see but they were play fighting and Loki was underneath at the time so perhaps Loki caught him with his teeth or claws or something, since Digby OH's mums dog wouldnt take to him and on next attempt to introduce them he went for Loki straight away, which has scared Loki who will now go no where near him, although luckily it hasnt effected his love of other dogs or his confidence.
He other dog is quite grumpy and doesnt really like other dogs, and only just tollerates Digby who is her son!
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2006, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by Hannah
No fraid not, he would love that! My OH's mum (its a family buisness) takes her two dogs but unfortunatly introducing them didnt go to well, and the younger of the two, initially took to Loki then atacked him for no reason we could see but they were play fighting and Loki was underneath at the time so perhaps Loki caught him with his teeth or claws or something, since Digby OH's mums dog wouldnt take to him and on next attempt to introduce them he went for Loki straight away, which has scared Loki who will now go no where near him, although luckily it hasnt effected his love of other dogs or his confidence.
He other dog is quite grumpy and doesnt really like other dogs, and only just tollerates Digby who is her son!
What a shame

Is there room in your home for another pup? Or do any of your friends dogs get left alone why they are at work maybe you could get them to drop their dog to you?

Thats the thing about pups what they love the most is the company of others, Zuki gets bored of toys after a short while, hence getting our second pup
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2006, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by Donna&Zuki
What a shame

Is there room in your home for another pup? Or do any of your friends dogs get left alone why they are at work maybe you could get them to drop their dog to you?

Thats the thing about pups what they love the most is the company of others, Zuki gets bored of toys after a short while, hence getting our second pup
Id love a second dog but dont really have the room and OH is not keen on the idea, Loki loves company is a shame for him to be alone all day may have someone whos dog I can leave him with after xmas will have to wait and see what happens though!
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2006, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by Hannah
Id love a second dog but dont really have the room and OH is not keen on the idea, Loki loves company is a shame for him to be alone all day may have someone whos dog I can leave him with after xmas will have to wait and see what happens though!
Sorry I couldn't suggest any toys and things, I have tried everything to keep Zuki entertained and in the end decided to give up my job although it has done me a favour because I can continue with my studies without the worry of work. I cant leave Zuki to do my weekly shop with out feeling guilty and ending up with a stroppy madam on my return. I feel for you and hope that you can find a solution
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >