Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Spot on.
You see, I can make sence sometimes lol.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 11:13 PM
They are doing it for the successful and healthy survival of the species!
Really!! - not for sport or a good day out - its altruism then
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 08:56 AM
A lot of Posters are intimating this fox was fed by people, how do we know that? Was an autopsy carried out on the contents of the foxes stomach?

Its a free world & if someone decides to feed visiting wildlife to their garden, thats their biz. Its their property etc, i have no issue with folk feeding badgers,
foxes, squirrels, wild birds etc

Personally i don't even feed birds sa
anymore - too many predators in tbe form of domestic cats & yes, I have cats
myself, well kittens

Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 09:03 AM
Feeding wild birds is totally different.

It's necessary because we have moved into and destroyed their habitat. Something Layla was trying to get across with ''man destroying the planet'' stuff.

If you place your feeders carefully then there should be minimal risk to the birds from predators such as domestic cats.

Please don't stop feeding the birds unless you have nowhere safe to feed them, they need it, especially at this time of year.
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2011, 09:11 AM
oh lordy i really wish i hadnt looked on this forum

Foxes attack pet cats all the time.
altho i dont agree with your statement even if i did at the end of the day our foxes are Native predators the cat is an alien species

But dogs are domestic pets who's owners must take responsibility for them.
and cats are also domestic pets and owners should take responsibility for them aswell

and i really dont want to upset all the cat owners here but domestic cats are responsible for more extinctions than any other animal with the exception of man! they cause devestation to wildlife across the globe!...and i find it very odd that some people show an unhealthy intollerance of an indiginous predator like the fox yet see domestic cat predation on wildlife as perfectly acceptable

Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
I think its slightly odd that he would want to stand smiling next to a dead animal hanging off the ladder thing. what persons wants to stand smiling next to any dead animal for a picture..
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I don't think it teaches a child respect for life, I think it does the opposite and hardens them and teaches them that it is OK to kill because they are human.

I would like them to learn that it is not OK to kill BECAUSE they are human.

rune
couldnt agree more with these two statements
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Feeding wild birds is totally different.

It's necessary because we have moved into and destroyed their habitat. Something Layla was trying to get across with ''man destroying the planet'' stuff.

If you place your feeders carefully then there should be minimal risk to the birds from predators such as domestic cats.

Please don't stop feeding the birds unless you have nowhere safe to feed them, they need it, especially at this time of year.
My contribution is not to feed them. When you walk up your garden & find feathers all over it from cat kills - thats when you stop feeding birds. When out in the garden you can hear the anguished distressing cries of a bird having been caught by a cat, you dint make the mistake of feeding birds

I have too much respect for birds, U
used to have outside avairies

I love my kittens but im not oblivious to the havoc (some) cats can do & cause. Ours dont go outside - yet. They have an area at the back of the house to play & be safe in & for the present, they are happy with that
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by NOUSHKA05 View Post
oh lordy i really wish i hadnt looked on this forum
I wouldnt have botherd if it gets to you so much, your choice.

altho i dont agree with your statement even if i did at the end of the day our foxes are Native predators the cat is an alien species
Cats are kept as pets, Foxes are not. Wolves arent pets are they? Some people think its ok for them to live in homes though, your argument falls at the first hurdle Im afraid.

and cats are also domestic pets and owners should take responsibility for them aswell
Dont they already? I do.

and i really dont want to upset all the cat owners here but domestic cats are responsible for more extinctions than any other animal with the exception of man! they cause devestation to wildlife across the globe!...and i find it very odd that some people show an unhealthy intollerance of an indiginous predator like the fox yet see domestic cat predation on wildlife as perfectly acceptable
Like what species? Thats a cracking statement I must say.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
My contribution is not to feed them. When you walk up your garden & find feathers all over it from cat kills - thats when you stop feeding birds. When out in the garden you can hear the anguished distressing cries of a bird having been caught by a cat, you dint make the mistake of feeding birds

I have too much respect for birds, U
used to have outside avairies

I love my kittens but im not oblivious to the havoc (some) cats can do & cause. Ours dont go outside - yet. They have an area at the back of the house to play & be safe in & for the present, they are happy with that
Which is why I said

unless you have nowhere safe to feed them
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Which is why I said
Yes, but where is safe to feed wild birds? Some cats will climb even the tallest trees. I dont have anywhere safe, so in my case, its best not to feed them
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Yes, but where is safe to feed wild birds? Some cats will climb even the tallest trees. I dont have anywhere safe, so in my case, its best not to feed them
How odd. I've said twice now that if you have nowhere safe then I consider that not feeding is the best option.

In terms of where. Nowhere will ever be 100% safe for a bird, but common sense should be used when choosing a feeding spot in a garden that cats are likely to easily enter and kill the bird. It really is a simple as that.
Page 14 of 37 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 > Last »