Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Keybeagle
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-03-2007, 07:55 PM

Advice Needed For New Dog And Missy :)

Hiya all,

Well the day has come and we now have a play mate for Missy. There has been a few things happening since we got them together and I would appreciate some tips and advice.

The first thing is Missy just wont leave him alone. I am sure that will get better once the "novelty" wears off its just now the poor little mite is so tired. He wont settle in his crate, but we have been through this with Missy so were not that concerned. Mind you, we have neighbours now so they might not be too impressed

What would you do now? He clearly wants to sleep but she just wont let him! I cannot possibly put them both to bed at 8.00pm! I dont want to put him to bed and keep Missy up and again vice versa! Any ideas? Sooner rather than later hopefully lol (I pray someone is reading this now)

I will post this question first and might hopefully get an answer soon. Cheers peeps
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2007, 08:20 PM
Have you just got the new pup today, it sounds as though Miss is facinated with him, i'm not much of an expert but maybe try putting the crate right near to you, then he might sleep and Missy will be able to see the pup but not be able to bother him.

I'm sure someone will come along with a better suggestion soon.
Keybeagle
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-03-2007, 08:21 PM
Things have quietened down for 10 minutes. I put the fire on and it seems to have done the trick, Missy has calmed down but isnt happy about it!!

I am sure it is only a matter of time until she wakes him up again.
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2007, 08:34 PM
Any pics of him yet ?? I'm dying to see him Did you stay with the same name or are you going to change it ?

I would agree with what Janet has said,Alfie did the same when we brought Daisy home :smt002 Only she got quite annoyed with him !!!
Hope he settles well and has a good first night with you.
Keybeagle
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-03-2007, 08:50 PM
Due to the hectic day I havent even managed to take any photos. It is actually nice to sit down and relax.

The crates are fantastically placed in the kitchen. The covers on the crates are adjustable so I have been able to cover the crates but leaving the opening clear along with the side of each cage so they are next to eachother and can see eachother.

So, now everything is quite I have a few questions.

It is the first time we have owned 2 dogs. We have tried to pay slightly more attention to Missy and praised her for her behavior. She is far from jealous of Polo. They are drinking out of the same water bowl, eating eachothers tea out of eachothers crate No animosity at all which I suppose is a good thing.

Is their any tips anyone can offer who owns 2 dogs, ie walking/feeding/playing/fighting. I appreciate all breeds are different but its just tips and advice really we are after.

I am so relieved they have not been agressive as such against eachother. The first few minutes were scary but they made it through once they realised they didnt have the same "bits" lol They might be dogs but we still have many things in common hehe

When we used to walk Missy on her own she had a halter on and a short lead. We have trained her to walk at the left hand side of us at our side. It works 80% of the time but we are still working on it. (worth mentioning "we" didnt train her, it was actually a very good trainer we found who trained her on a halter). Polo is not good on his lead, rather like Missy pre training! What would you recommend, taking them out together one at either side? or both at the left hand side? We have a halter for Polo but like the trainer said, half the trick is getting the dog used to it and needless to say Polo doesnt like his! Any advice would be gratefully received

I think thats it for now. I am sure I will be posting tonight at 2am screaming because of a howling Beagle teehee. Ohhhh he will be worth it though, people have already stopped us in the street saying how gorgeous he is Give it 2 months and he will be stunning

Before I go, thanks for the advice about moving the crate, I only read that after I posted about them quietening down, hopefully I wont have to do that now

Cheers peeps.

Oh and I am 100% convinced Missy is Doberman x Beagle. It all makes sense now!
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2007, 10:22 PM
pics pleeeeease , hope you have a good night.
Keybeagle
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-03-2007, 10:45 PM
Its bed time now and all tears

Sobbing/Howling/Crying you know the usual

I think it will take Polo less time to settle than it did Missy out of the fact that Missy is there with him. It must help in some way.

Well, it worked leaving Missy so it should leaving Polo. I arent going to change anything, just turn the TV up in the bedroom and apologise to the neighbours first thing in the morning. They will surely get mad if he continues to howl like he is but hey theres not much I can do.

I am going to go up to bed, take the laptop and hope he settles.

Its quite bad really, we paid alot of money for what it seems like a rescue dog. Dont get me wrong, it has nothing to do with the breeders. You can only take people at their word when they tell you they can look after the dog, understand how much excerise they need etc etc unfortunately for Polo they didnt keep to it and he has somewhat deteriated over a year. He is very thin and needs alot of attention. Good job he's come to us then

He is a full pedigree with lovely markings. In a month or 2 he will be perfect, providing Missy doesnt eat him first! Is it normal when they play fight to bite? He bites her chops and she bites anything she can. It doesnt seem nasty as there isnt blood etc obviously, I just wondered if it is just a dog thing! Poor Polo was soaking tonight because of Missy mouth

Dont worry, you will hear alot from me over the coming few weeks I am sure. We are new at having 2 dogs and dont want to get it wrong.

Here's to a good night He isnt as continuous now, 1 minute on 1 minute off, do you think Missy will tell him off soon?
Keybeagle
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-03-2007, 12:00 AM
Well its time to log off and get some sleep. Its been so quiet down there for the last hour

They are either both out of their crates causing mayhem or both fast asleep after eating their Kongs Lets hope its the latter

Pics in the morning peeps i promise
SarahJ
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-03-2007, 12:18 AM
you really need to seperate them and give pup space,our older girl had a fascination when we got out pup(now one) and we had to seperate them for both sakes, now they are tolerant of each other lol never best of friends... they both need space to settle into a routine its not fair to force a pupster on an older dog nor vice versa... little play times great but when its starting to infringe on eithers relaxation time you need to step in..

then.......

and a very rare now.......
Keybeagle
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-03-2007, 08:31 AM
Awwweee how cute. Gentle Giants

When you say seperate them, do you mean close them in different rooms or just keep them apart in the same room? If you mean seperate into different rooms, who do I keep with me?

Missy is 15 months and Polo is 12 months so there isnt a great deal of difference between them both in age its just at the moment Polo is not a well pup. He has had really bad diarrhea since yesterday and this morning my wife saw spots of blood There wasnt any yesterday so I will see how it is today. Dont worry, I am keeping a close eye on this as I guess it could be very serious!

I'm hoping for some advice today. Poor Polo cant get 2 minutes to himself from Missy and I want him to settle in. Should I pay them the same attention? Or should I pay Missy more attention? To be honest Missy does not seem jealous, she is just confused why he wont play with her. We know its because he is scared/confused/worried and everything else that comes with moving. Along with his poorly stomach I am sure Missy is starting to really annoy him. I have started shouting at Missy to keep her away from him and it seems to have worked for now. Dont worry I am praising her for leaving him alone too.

Thanks again.

Incase your wondering, Polo was quiet all night after my last post, its just when we woke up this morning there was projectile diarrhea across the kitchen and his bed! Poor little mite. I didnt want to disturb him while he was quiet, I wish I did now though. Oh well, lets hope his stomach settles down
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >