Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2009, 08:52 AM

Winter just got worse...

As my OH Is normally working away during the weeks it falls on me to do the evening walk with Monty. In the summer it's not as issue as we get in the car and go to the canal or the river but in winter it's tough as there are not many places to walk and let Monty off the lead.

We do however have a park up the road so every other night I'd take him to the park and play fetch and then do road walks on alternate days.

We've now unfortunately had to cross the park off our list as well as despite being reasonably well lit I read on my local news this morning that a 13yr old girl was attacked in the park and held by the throat.

Fortunately she was ok but it just gets me thinking about how safe our streets really are. Looks like it will be boring road walks for me and Monty when the OH goes back to work.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

22-12-2009, 08:59 AM
Thats a shame but better safe than sorry.

I am sure Monty won't mind as long as he gets his walk he won't worry where it is.
lakeland_lass
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-12-2009, 09:00 AM
I can understand what your saying. My OH works shifts and we also have to avoid certin areas due to being too dark or large groups of kids hanging about causing trouble.
It really makes you think about safety - is there anywhere that is safe anymore?
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2009, 10:05 AM
Can you not pair up with someone locally in the same position as you? I was walking on my own in the dark (reluctantly) but then paired up with someone I meet at 5.30pm every evening for a 1.5 hour walk. Walking in the dark is quite enjoyable if you have company.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2009, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
Can you not pair up with someone locally in the same position as you? I was walking on my own in the dark (reluctantly) but then paired up with someone I meet at 5.30pm every evening for a 1.5 hour walk. Walking in the dark is quite enjoyable if you have company.
That's not a bad idea! Might have to look into that and see if I can find someone to walk with!
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2009, 11:25 AM
I hope you find someone to walk with. Horrid that you feel the need to - but much better you are safe. *hugs* hon .
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2009, 11:31 AM
a girl was sexually assualted in our local park the other week. She was found early in the morning by someone who walks his dogs there. It was shocking because I was on the park, at the other end at the time. I still walk there though, what choice do I have? They only get to go offlead in the morning when It's coming light. I can't let them off in the evening as it's too dark. I just have to brave it. I feel pretty safe with the big guys anyway. I walk with my Mum in the vening a lot of the time, and it does make you feel safe having a walking buddy. Good chance for gossip too!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2009, 11:50 AM
Hmm. Have you ever considered a dog walker to do the odd day here and there for you? it might be quite nice for you to have the odd evening off, knowing that he has had a good walk eariler in the day. Even if it is just once a week.

I probably wouldn't feel comfortable walking there either knowing what happened.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2009, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Hmm. Have you ever considered a dog walker to do the odd day here and there for you? it might be quite nice for you to have the odd evening off, knowing that he has had a good walk eariler in the day. Even if it is just once a week.

I probably wouldn't feel comfortable walking there either knowing what happened.
Richs mum used to walk him for us once a week and still does sometimes but she finds him hard to handle so he normally goes to hers for an afternoon instead and plays in the garden with their dog.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2009, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
As my OH Is normally working away during the weeks it falls on me to do the evening walk with Monty. In the summer it's not as issue as we get in the car and go to the canal or the river but in winter it's tough as there are not many places to walk and let Monty off the lead.

We do however have a park up the road so every other night I'd take him to the park and play fetch and then do road walks on alternate days.

We've now unfortunately had to cross the park off our list as well as despite being reasonably well lit I read on my local news this morning that a 13yr old girl was attacked in the park and held by the throat.

Fortunately she was ok but it just gets me thinking about how safe our streets really are. Looks like it will be boring road walks for me and Monty when the OH goes back to work.

How sad.

How about maybe putting him on a tracking lead on the field, so he can still have more of a run than on a road walk, but you still have him x amount of feet away if needed.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >