View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2007, 06:33 PM
Saw him get bitten once, didnt see anything wrong with that!
Dawn.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2007, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
I've never clicker trained a dog in my live & don't intend to start & there are lots of good dogtraining methods without using chokers & force

I learn how to train hands free in 1965 when I trained a bitch that had been to a dogbreaker who used methods like CM's. It took me a year to put her problems right & I continue to use the hands off method my trained taught me way back then. My dogs don't pull because they never learn to, they walk with me because they want to. They now call it shaping etc & I use my voice & rewards in training

For the GP if they get their clicker timing right it can be a useful tool as most are not good at giving the correct verbal command linked to the reward for required/wanted behaviour in the correct manner.
A rare moment, I agree with you, have never, nor will ever see the point in clicker training!

BTW clicker training ain't new it has been used with Dolphins etc for decades !
A rare moment, I agree with you! :smt001 I have never, nor will ever use clicker training, cannot for the life of see the need.
Dawn.
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-06-2007, 06:59 PM
Dolphins? Are we talking about dolphins? I know I wasn't.
pam2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-06-2007, 07:34 PM
I've watched CM too, but was a bit uneasy with some of his methods and I wish they would do a follow up on the cases to see if his methods are a long term solution.
Dog Borstal is an interesting show, but doesn't really show you how to train, it seems more about the personalities than dog training. Imagine being "helped" by Mick, I'd run a mile
It can be confusing for anyone trying to train a pup, there is so much conflicting advice out there.
Personally I have always liked Ian Dunbar, I am reading his book, Before and after getting your puppy and finding it quite good.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2007, 08:15 PM
GSD Lover - no, you are completely right that is my perception and I'm sorry if it came across as anything else.

However, I do believe his methods to be out of date, and some of them, downright cruel. I think he's taking a huge risk putting those methods out onto public viewing for people to try themselves (despite the really useful disclaimer at the beginning saying not to try it ).

There's actually loads of research gone into positive reinforcement and clicker training - it's not just a trend, a fad, or whatever you want to pass it off as.

We've had lots of methods in the past that have worked for things (beating slaves, whipping circus animals) it doesn't make them 'right' or acceptable.

I firmly protest against CM's methods and would far rather go with a hands off training method using positive reinforcement and rewards.

In my own opinion, I'd rather have a dog that was doing things out of choice because those things are rewarding, than doing them because they get physically forced to or because the consequences of not doing are tough.

Edit to add: Clicker training is by no means the be all and end all despite the fact I use it for one of my dogs. My other dog doesn't respond as well to it so I don't use it with him and I don't think it should be the only method to train dogs.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2007, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
A rare moment, I agree with you! :smt001 I have never, nor will ever use clicker training, cannot for the life of see the need.
Dawn.
In a way - good on you, and in a way I think that's a shame. I know another woman who point blank refuses to ever entertain the idea of clicker training - despite the fact 'clicker' stands for any operant conditioner and could be incredibly beneficial for the right dog.

Good on you for not using it if you don't need to, it's a shame though that you feel you will never use it even if you got a dog that would clearly benefit from it's use. (imo, it'd be cutting your nose off to spite your face)
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-06-2007, 09:25 PM
I'm a memeber of an American board that mentioned Caesar Millan a few months ago. Each time I heard a member describing the methods used, I cringed with disgust because it all sounded just like bullying plain and simple.

Then I caught an episode of his TV programme ''Dog Whisperer'' Sky 3 8pm Thursdays. From then I was hooked. I'm absolutely transfixed. He is brilliant in my opinion. He is certainly not fluffy, he treats a dog like a dog but I haven't ever seen him be unkind. He communicates his decisions and wishes in a way that dogs understand. I can completely relate to his methods.

I bought his book ''Caesars Way'' at the weekend, and I'm loving every page.

Dawn R.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2007, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
In a way - good on you, and in a way I think that's a shame. I know another woman who point blank refuses to ever entertain the idea of clicker training - despite the fact 'clicker' stands for any operant conditioner and could be incredibly beneficial for the right dog.

Good on you for not using it if you don't need to, it's a shame though that you feel you will never use it even if you got a dog that would clearly benefit from it's use. (imo, it'd be cutting your nose off to spite your face)
Hello Lottie.
Can you tell me an instance where I might need to use clicker training, whereby the training i currently use would not work? In your opinion, out of interest.
Dawn.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2007, 10:23 PM
Nope

Because it depends on the dog, imo. (Although some more experienced than I may be able to)

However - my main point was that if it is the idea of the 'clicker' itself - it's only a tool and any operant conditioner can be used, your voice, a click of the tongue, a visual marker.

It's not for everyone, but I just think - never say never, it might one day come to a point with a certain dog and a certain situation when it could help and keeping an open mind could be beneficial.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2007, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Hello Lottie.
Can you tell me an instance where I might need to use clicker training, whereby the training i currently use would not work? In your opinion, out of interest.
Dawn.
I'd be interested to find out how do you go about it Dawn?

I've never seen Cesar Milan so can't comment but have been trying clicker training for a few days now. I have seen some good results already but I am under no illusions - when it comes to it if Loki was off lead, I just don't think all the clicking conditioning or whatever it is called will override Loki's natural instincts. And it's starting to irritate me, having to remember to bring it out with us plus a bag full of treats.
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »