View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2014, 09:00 PM
How annoying. He is acting as if there is not a problem at all. But of course he is, since he isn't the one stuck with the problem. Sad all the way around.
MissEris
New Member!
Female 

18-04-2014, 03:23 AM
I'm not actually sure where the dog came from. Her life sucks right now, and I'm heartbroken for her, but limited in what I can do.
Technically it's impossible for me to move, but I've done impossible things before, so I'm assessing that possibility right now. It will involve a meeting with the owners of the house where I have to explain why I have no choice but to break my lease. Ugh. I've never done that before, but if it ends up being my only choice so that I can have a safe home for my munchkin, then I can get them to understand.
MissEris
New Member!
Female 

18-04-2014, 04:25 AM
Originally Posted by Strangechilde View Post
OK, I'm very concerned about this. The dog is circling because of nerves: she's bored and anxious. 'Correcting' this behaviour, by stopping her from circling, will only result in her manifesting different nervous traits, possibly much worse, especially if she is punished for her anxiety. I cannot emphasise this enough. Stopping her forcibly from circling will only make things worse. Please don't do it.
Yes, i've actually witnessed how this "solution" makes the situation worse. She gets scolded for dealing with her anxiety by circling, then ends up attacking the cat or biting at the baby.

The only fix for this is to relieve her anxiety, probably with more exercise, fun games, training-- but this is NOT your job. You've said that you have no experience with dogs, and this is not your dog; a nervous 3 year old GSD is hardly an ideal first dog to dump on you, no matter how much you care about her.
I do care about her. She's a sweet, albeit troubled dog. I'm totally unable to manage her, and giving her what she needs is considered too hard by those responsible. I may have to figure out a way to move, which will further screw up my world, but what else can I do? My number one requirement is a safe place for my son.

15 minutes walk a day might be enough for a very elderly greyhound, but a dog like this GSD needs at least two hours a day. It can be broken up, or bits can be replaced with games in the back garden, but a young, intelligent, high energy dog needs exercise. It won't just affect her mental state going stir crazy in the house: it'll affect her bodily health too.
Shockingly, I have a feeling I can never encourage this to be done (and I truly hope I'm wrong). I think her physical health has been suffering with this for some time. She doesn't seem to eat enough no matter how plentiful her food supply is, and I can feel each and every vertebrae when petting her. She's too anxious, and it's getting worse.

If putting her out in the garden is the only thing you can do, and if she is happier there than circling in the house, then by all means let her out, but as others have said this is not your responsibility. The owner needs to get the message that this dog needs help.
I finally went that route, and she was honestly happier out there chasing squirrels. Ironically though, I ended up scoled for being "inhumane" for having done this, and told that she has to be kept shut in the house. I'm totally shocked by this. Aaaand... now I'm pretty angry, actually.

Do you have a smartphone, or can you borrow one or a video camera? If you can get some of her behaviour recorded, you could show that to him, and to any vet or behaviourist or animal worker who came on board. Even if you can't film it, it is worthwhile documenting anything that concerns you in writing. That said, I think it might be worth talking to SPCA people about your situation. I understand you probably don't want to get your roommate in trouble, but they will understand that too and may be able to offer you (and your roommate, if he can get on board) some help and practical suggestions.

My practical suggestion for the nonce is that you should probably invest in a dog gate. They're not too expensive (and on the plus side, will work as an effective toddler gate later on). You can get them from Amazon or from online pet companies. Get the extra tall one: GSDs can jump high. That'll give you a little extra security for your son and maybe its presence will wake up your roommate a bit, as every time he looks at it he'll have to think about why it's there.

You are not overreacting. You are being eminently sensible. I am very sorry you're in this situation but glad you came here. I wish there was more I could do to help you!
Thank you so much. This really really sucks, and is the last thing I need right now. I don't think I can continue watching that poor dog suffer when everything she needs is "too hard" to provide. I also don't have a smartphone or video camera (or any $ for such a thing). If suffering doggies human won't acknowledge her suffering, or bring in a behaviorist, or see a vet, I don't know who I'd show the video to anyhow. When I explained how my sleeping baby had been lunged at with teeth bared and growling, the response was "must be because that baby cradle rocks set her off". How can I even respond to that? I may have to find a new place to go, which is the worst debacle that could ever come up right now.
Ugh.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2014, 06:05 AM
What a terrible situation you find yourself in worried sick, angry, life shouldn't be like this should it, and all through some numpty's total lack of understanding of how a dog should be treated. I'm quite angry for you too

If you're going to approach the landlord, maybe, just maybe, there's a chance that HE doesn't want the dog there either? Maybe he doesn't even KNOW about the dog? You never know, if he's even the slightest bit more human that this bloke you're having to share this house with, he might even be quite horrified at the situation you are in with a youngster. The US is reknown for its sueing culture, and maybe he might get worried that IF the dog went for your child and harmed it (perish that thought though!), then he might end up in Court himself for renting the house to people with such a volatile situation going on in it? You can but hope here, if you approach him in such a way that you are reaching the end of your tether and fear for your son.

Then there's a 2nd option. Why don't you take yourself off down to the police station and ask if there's some department where you can sit and chat to somebody about this whole situation. They too could be quite horrified at what is and what could happen should things escalate (which I'm sure they will unfortunately). They don't want a child hurt, nor do they probably want to see a dog so mentally abused, and you never know, they might be able to do something about it, it's got to be worth a try? Afterall, when somebody is "right" (as is the case for YOU), then somewhere along the line, you always end up winning. Explain to them, that the last thing you would want is for this man to know that you had spoken with them which would make the situation worse for you, and I'm sure they would treat it as strictly confidential.

I'm so sorry that your life has been thrown into such turmoil, I would be worried sick, but there are always options, so before throwing it into even more disarray by upping and leaving, just see if there is another way out, whereby it is HIM who has to leave with his dog, OR they can get that poor dog rehomed to a proper place.

Please let us know, and I wish you all the luck in the world.
MissEris
New Member!
Female 

19-04-2014, 05:37 AM
I had incredibly vivid nightmares last night where I stumbled across a dead dog and all her dead puppies. There must have been 20 little pups, some still latched onto her nipples, so small their eyes weren't even open yet, left out in the snow to freeze to death. I was depressed all day just totally haunted by the image, which I'll never forget. Never.

Then I got pissed. I worked my ass off all day while the kid was with his grandma, with clenched fists, trying not to think about hitting them for letting this dog suffer. So, I decided to pack up a weekend bag for the munchkin and I and go stay with relatives for the weekend where he could run around safely while I chilled out.

Just as I was leaving, I was confronted by the roommate. They had finally read this forum full of all your advice, and admitted to me that you are all completely right! They have been clueless on how to deal with her, and totally overwhelmed. I was promised that she is seeing a vet immediately! The next stop is a behaviorist that can help come up with a plan for her rehabilitation. They agreed she needs 3 hours of one on one care each day that will include exercise, training, and lots of mental stimulation. AND, they assured me that if they end up unable to maintain this, that they are rehoming her with someone who can! I'll have to wait for word from the behaviorist before we can decide on a date where she'll have to be professionally determined to be safe in a room with a baby and a cat. I'll insist on a date, and that she continues to get her 3 hours of stimulation every day beyond that date. We already have a lead on a potential new home for her, should it go that way, with a family member of theirs that has an older gsd they trained, so he can still visit the dog if he has to give her up.

I have to thank you all from the bottom of my heart for all your help. It really was the turning point that brought us to this agreement. I started to think this could never happen and that I needed to start working on my exit plan. I'll admit, I do have some doubts that he will stick with it and follow through, but even if that happens, she will be taken to someone that can and will. So, no matter what, she will be okay, and my munchkin can stay safe in his house.

Thank you so so SO much. You made this turn of events possible. I'll keep you all updated on her progress!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2014, 06:50 AM
Hallelujah
A good result for you, the poor dog, and for the owner, because once this dog gets the proper life she deserves, he will have the best companion he ever had in his life, and he'll look back and wonder how he could ever have been so blind to her plea for help.

Well done to you, and well done to the owner for being humble enough to have read this thread in the way it was intended. He seems to be able to talk the talk, now let's see if he can actually walk the walk with her. Good luck, all the luck in the world, he won't be sorry for taking action in the right direction

Yes, please come back when you can and let us have an update
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2014, 07:00 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Hallelujah
A good result for you, the poor dog, and for the owner, because once this dog gets the proper life she deserves, he will have the best companion he ever had in his life, and he'll look back and wonder how he could ever have been so blind to her plea for help.

Well done to you, and well done to the owner for being humble enough to have read this thread in the way it was intended. He seems to be able to talk the talk, now let's see if he can actually walk the walk with her. Good luck, all the luck in the world, he won't be sorry for taking action in the right direction

Yes, please come back when you can and let us have an update
Can't say better than what Helena did. Phew! I hope you are still able to enjoy this weekend with your little 'un.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2014, 11:13 AM
Can't wait to hear how it pans out ... Do please let us know
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-04-2014, 11:52 AM
Wow, MissEris, that is excellent news! I am so glad you've been able to turn this situation around. I am so pleased we were able to help. Yay hooray!

Thanks and kudos to your roommate too. If he is able to put in the effort, he will not regret it! Please extend my best wishes to him.

Do please keep us up to speed! Your post has really made my day better.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2014, 12:26 PM
Very glad to hear this. I was so concerned and unable to do anything.
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >