register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Should bitches be walked during their season?
Yes they should be kept indoors for the whole of the season. 11 25.58%
No, they should be taken for walks on lead. 24 55.81%
They should be kept indoors from day 9 - 22. 8 18.60%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2008, 08:15 PM
Very spooky to see this thread. Last night I took the dogs to the beach. As we arrived, there were some people with a dog to one side, so we went in the other direction. Well, we had a good run on our empty side, and as we returned to the path, Snip started to go over to the other side. His recall is usually very good, so when I whistled I was surprised when he didn't come straight back. I ran up to the path and saw the people and their dog were still in the same place and Snip was sniffing around them. I ran up and apologised, and she said, "it's because she's in season". I thought nothing of it as I was so annoyed at Snip, but I guess he couldn't really control himself. There are often dogs on it at that time, although it was dusk, and it was low tide.

We're lucky that we have fields at the back of the house, so in-season girls can still have a good run, but I'd never take them to that beach, or any other obviously-doggy places.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-09-2008, 08:28 PM
I walked both of mine throughout their season and had no problems with other dogs. I walked at my normal time of day and hardly saw anyone. I guess it depends how busy it is where you walk.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2008, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I walked both of mine throughout their season and had no problems with other dogs. I walked at my normal time of day and hardly saw anyone. I guess it depends how busy it is where you walk.

Yes, luckily i work from home so i can be flexible when and where i walk. If the forestry commision car park was full of cars one day, i could go home and come back later.

i ordered some of the bitch deodorant tablets and will get some tcp tomorrow.
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2008, 09:19 PM
when i had a bitch and she went into season. i walked her really early in the morning. and late in the evening. luckily we had a long garden so she had games in the garden so kept her occupied.
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-09-2008, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Me too. I walk Ilo off leash in places where I have excellent visibility only and limited dogs eg Romney Marsh/Nature Reserve...she is maiden and not that keen (yet). That may change. I also make use of friends fields and extra sheep herding lessons!

She does urinate right outside the house, never had a dog setting up camp though.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 07:34 AM
Maybe the males round here are undersexed because I`ve never had trouble - apart from one prat with a small dog on a flexilead who seemed to have difficulty understanding the situation. Having until recently an unspayed bitch and 2 neutered males, I was left in no doubt as to when the bitch was `interesting` and kept her in on those days. The rest of the time she was mainly on lead in deserted area. The Beach is good! (She`s spayed now)
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 07:41 AM
When I have had bitches in season I did walk them but I got up really early in the morning and also walked last thing at night when there are less dogs about . Also if possible you should walk with another adult in case there are any problems one can look after the bitch and the other can chase away Romeo
I didn't vote in the poll as none of the options seemed to fit in with this
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 08:35 AM
I haven't voted because I think it depends on the dog.

When Takara was entire and in season, there was no way either of us would have survived staying indoors for the whole of the season. And I knew I had control of the situation when out with her on the lead so I wasn't worried about her getting caught - I was more worried about males escaping because they could smell her. I don't see how keeping her in for day 9-22 would've helped because the owners of the males around that were bothered by her were bothered from day 1.

One man said his dog was crying to go out in the morning, before Takara was even out and we live 10 minutes up the road from the park and they live 10 minutes in the other direction from the park so it's not like they were close by.

When Takara was in season, we did lead walks only, at the peak of the season I tried to only walk her where I didn't think dogs would be bothered by her but we did go to the park due to her refusal to pee anywhere but the park.

I felt guilty having to walk her but she's not the sort of dog I could keep in and I didn't have enough land to exercise her on my own land.

She's now spayed and all of that is no longer a concern - thank goodness.

Around here though, I'll be walking and someone's dog comes running upto Takara and I hear 'is it female?' when I say yes they say 'oh that's ok then - she's in season' and the dog's off the lead running upto other dogs!!
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 09:36 AM
I personally didnt walk my girl while she was in season and it didnt seem to bother her at all. We did play in the garden though to wear her out and of course lots of extra kongs and chews etc to keep her busy. x
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 10:35 AM
I would not keep my wee girlie in through out her season god she'd be like a cat climbing the walls owners responsobility on both parts ( boys and girls owners ), I know if my boy looks like hes picked up a scent and is going round kinda frenzied I'll put him on the lead till we pass the area, if your bitch is on the lead in season out for a walk why should it become the bitches owners responsobility if some one can't control their dog ?
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >