register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: What do you use to train loose lead walking?
Flat collar 22 40.74%
Harness 8 14.81%
Head collar 15 27.78%
Other 9 16.67%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 02:14 PM

Collar or harness or head collar

Okay, the class we go to encourages people to train their dogs to do loose lead walking with a harness.
This isn't something I've done before, preferring to just use a flat collar, but then the last few dogs I've trained have been trained to walk with an amount of tension in the lead.

Anyway, Cosmo isn't keen on a harness so I started to work with him on a flat collar. Our trainer drove past us yeaterday (unbeknown to me) and has, as a result, said no problem to us not using a harness as he walks pretty nicely so far, on a flat collar (for an almost 5 month old Flat Coat...all things are relative!)

I have found there is less control with a harness and that the dogs can learn to pull into them more, I also feel you have less control because of where it is attached.

I used a headcollar once and it was brilliant, I didn't have to use it for long as it enabled me to teach the dog what I wanted him to do quite easily.

Anyway, I am not talking about walking to heel, I'm waffling on about loose lead walking, which is different.

What do you all think is best and why?
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-03-2008, 02:22 PM
I've always used leather half choke collars on my lot.

The very sound of the chain links clicking was enough to slow them down if they started to pull.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 02:25 PM
Do you use them high on their necks Colin, or in a lower position? I don't want to start a debate for a change, just interested.
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 02:26 PM
I do own all three, but I prefer a flat collar. Meg went through a very pully stage and a Halti helped, and then I just used it on her with it unclipped, and now just a collar. Mack is just a collar, had a harness for him when he was very small, but it was natural for him to put his weight into it,so now a collar.

Sorry Ramble, I was waffling to answer your question loose lead walking just their collars.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 02:27 PM
In training class Marius wears his half-check collar.

If I am going into town or areas with lots of people I put his head-collar on, only reason being is he gets excited when people greet him and can sometimes jump up. The head-collar gives me more control.

He will mature and settle and not require it in time, but for now I like the extra control I have when he has it on.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by Moonstone View Post
I do own all three, but I prefer a flat collar. Meg went through a very pully stage and a Halti helped, and then I just used it on her with it unclipped, and now just a collar. Mack is just a collar, had a harness for him when he was very small, but it was natural for him to put his weight into it,so now a collar.

Sorry Ramble, I was waffling to answer your question loose lead walking just their collars.
No need to apologise for waffling, my name is Ramble for a reason!

I did try Cosmo with a harness but he quickly learned to pull into it, then he decided he hated it so we went back to the collar, which he's fine on so far. I've seen a few dogs on harnesses that pull more than I think they would on a flat collar.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 02:31 PM
I have found (more noticable with a big dog) that harnesses seem to encourage them to pull more, because they have their whole body weight behind them - even an anti/stop pull harness is the same!

I like headcollars, as I find I have more control
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
In training class Marius wears his half-check collar.

If I am going into town or areas with lots of people I put his head-collar on, only reason being is he gets excited when people greet him and can sometimes jump up. The head-collar gives me more control.

He will mature and settle and not require it in time, but for now I like the extra control I have when he has it on.
That was the trouble with the pup I used a head collar on, he greeted people enthusiastically and weighed in at 40kg+ I had to use one as he could have pulled me over easily and I didn't want him to realise that. I found it enabled me to control and correct him then praise him immediately when he was doing the right thing, ie, if he jumped I could get him down with no effor then reward him instantly when 4 feet were on the floor, if you see what I mean. Ultimately he didn't need it (took abtou 3 months all in to introduce, use then ditch)and I could happily and confidently walk him on a flat collar...by which time he was 43kg+
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 02:33 PM
Like Anne Marie if I take Mack somewhere very busy, where he must be on lead, i will use a halti, as you do much more control, and he can get very excited with new people, and being so big but with a puppy brain, it is better for now. Also like Anne Marie as he matures we won't need it. He isn't a puller,just can be very bouncy

Agree with the harness, he just instinctively threw his weight into it, so it is hope less for him.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
I have found (more noticable with a big dog) that harnesses seem to encourage them to pull more, because they have their whole body weight behind them - even an anti/stop pull harness is the same!

I like headcollars, as I find I have more control
Me too.

I find on a harness they are more able to pull and you sort of have less control over it as they can focus their body weight.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »