Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2008, 06:45 PM

self harming 'support groups'?

My sister used to self harm and has been free of it for around 8 months now.

This morning Takara brought me a piece of paper from the bin (odd dog that she is) which had Becky's handwriting on it and was like a diary entry. I read it purely to see what Takara had brought me but read some things on there that I hadn't been aware of before.

Although she's clear of the cutting, she's decided she's anorexic (she's always appeared to eat ok in front of us but is out of the house long hours) and has 'suicidal thoughts'.

I know that she uses 'support group' forums but to respect her privacy I've never looked on there. I'm concerned that these aren't quite as 'supportive' as they make out and have actually made her worse. Obviously she needs professional help if this is how she's feeling. It's something I just can't deal with for her and she needs to talk to a professional but are these internet groups something that could be contributing?

What do you suggest we do? We can't afford a therapist and there's a really long waiting list for the NHS. I can't sit down and talk to her because we don't really get on well enough for that and I'll have a giant lack of patience... that's just the way I am.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-01-2008, 06:48 PM
Well unless you see what type of support this site actually offers, it is hard to say.
Plus you don't know how old the bit of paper is...... it could be a scrap from a while ago.
What about showing your mum, tell her t brought it to you, see if she can speak to her?
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2008, 07:03 PM
I've showed mum and she'll be speaking to Becky. I hope it was an old piece of paper Leo. I know it sounds horrid but Becky's impressionable and only 17 and although I would never think she was 'putting it on' I wonder how much of it is influenced by the people she's met via these websites, if you know what I mean?

I'll leave it upto mum anyway - it's not really got much to do with me I suppose.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-01-2008, 07:07 PM
The only thing you can do is listen if she wants you too.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2008, 07:48 PM
Try here Lottie, there may be one local. If not, try googleing for self harm support groups.

http://www.nshn.co.uk/resources.html