Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2007, 08:33 AM
Morning all.

I am not too bad with OCD although I have to say I started to count specific things like yellow or red cars or people with a red toip, I did this to distract myself from the panic, so I don't think it was a condiytion in its own right, but may very well become one

I thinj its a bit like what GSD suggested about holding a bunch of keys to focus.

But on an interesting note Derren Brown admits to being slightly OCD and he may well use this to his advantage. Eg in his shows (which are excellent) he asks a member f the audience to tip buttons on a tray and he will tell you instantly how many buttons are there. It is always accurate. Amazing. But having read this thread maybe he uses the ocd to his benefit?????

Of course he could just be saying that to make a bit of a sti#ory to his act but if I remember correctly the story was that he used to get bullied at school and the bullies would tip his bag out and kick and punch him so he would count very quickly everything that fell out of his bag as he was taking the beating. This distracted him from the actual beating.

The mind is a bizzare thing strange what it does and how it reacts.

I have looked online for a support group before and although there are websites (don't know if I am allowed to post a website address but if anyone wants them please just pm) they are more about information rather than support.

Much more support here than anywhere else I have been (including docs!!)
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-06-2007, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by Heather and Zak View Post
Another thing I have to do is time myself doing things like I must empty the dishwasher before the kettle boils. It is like a race sometimes. So glad to hear I am not on my own.
hehe Yeah, that's another classic. There are various degrees of OCD and so many different traits that sufferers can have. But the self-racing, as I call it, and as you describe it, I can certainly relate to.

My explanation for it, based on my past, is that the individual needs to (subconsciously) feel that they succeeded or won something. Ergo, they set mental challenges for themselves. I did it only the other day in fact. My driveway needed weeding. I started with the sole intention of getting it done before my partner returned home. Why? There was no reason for me to rush it; it could take three days really. But it's that fix of success that makes the individual feel extra special for that fleeting moment.

The trouble, I think, is that the fix wears off very quickly, and then what you're left with is just the habit. In my case, I feel quite lucky. I've pretty much had all of my behaviours explained to me, and I can just about see where they have stemmed from, what the causes are, and so forth. Those that I cannot, I've just learned to accept as an integral part of me. However, I can easily recall how frustrating and even scary it can be when you don't have the explanations, or aren't quite at peace with the behaviours.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2007, 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by GSDLover View Post

My explanation for it, based on my past, is that the individual needs to (subconsciously) feel that they succeeded or won something. Ergo, they set mental challenges for themselves. I did it only the other day in fact. My driveway needed weeding. I started with the sole intention of getting it done before my partner returned home. Why? There was no reason for me to rush it; it could take three days really. But it's that fix of success that makes the individual feel extra special for that fleeting moment.

Ahhhhh

Yeah I do that all the time.

Need to finish doing something befoire a certain thing.

Even like, I MUST hoover the living room during the adverts of coronation street

I mean its daft I am watching tv and suddenly decide I must hoover or dust or do dishes or something similar and then it MUST be done. I also do it when I eat a meal. I HAVE to finish 1st, no matter where I am or what i eat...I therefore tend to "inhale" food

Nut I get what you are saying GSD its like a personal goal and then the achievement......yeah makes sense....
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2007, 09:22 AM
well the fun of anxiety/stress just keeps on going......

have posted in another area about my most recent symptom....

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php...05#post1052205

Ah well hope you guys all doing ok today and had an ok weekend

Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2007, 09:43 AM
I have an appointment at asthma clinic this afternoon and I am already stressed about going. I don't worry about what they do there it is just getting there if you can understand that. As I have had my problems for so long I try to laugh at myself and make jokes about my illness, it does help me cope. When my grandchildren used to ask questions about why I couldn't do something like taking them out or going shopping with them I used to say "coz my brain don't work right" and they used to laugh and say you are nuts nan. Now they call me "nutty nan" but in a loving way. How can you explain your problems to young ones. It has helped me to cope as I do make my children and grandchildren laugh. My favourite saying is "well you know my head has gone". We all have to deal with it in different ways.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2007, 09:49 AM
I know EXACTLY what you mean......

I stress baout just about everything and its easy to say don't worry it will be fine, but there is something about that staement that doesn't register in our brains. I stress about the docs and going there and after all if something bad is going to happen to you then its probably a good place to fall ill, where you can get immediate medical attention, but no that somehow doesnt seem logical when you have the same afflictiona s us.

So I know there is absolutely no point in telling you you will be ok, so I will tell you instead that I will be thinking about you and I hope it all goes ok for you and let us know how you get on.

((((((hugs)))))))
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-07-2007, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by Heather and Zak View Post
I have an appointment at asthma clinic this afternoon and I am already stressed about going....
When I used to have to visit the GP, I would just get a taxi from door to door. That wasn't perfect but it was the best solution I could come up with.

Hope it goes well for you. See ya on the other side.
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2007, 06:14 PM
Best of luck at the asthma clinic. Heather, Hope all is ok!
Well i've had a really anxious day today, so bad its given me really bad heart burn. Feel ok now though, its just been at work. I hate my job, which doesn't help matters. Good money, just down the road, but i have waves where i like it, then i really hate it. I suppose we all think that.
I think its to do with fact that after my virus, i'm left with a
very slight phlegmy cough. Because i'm asthmatic i think i'm going to die Then over breath which makes me hyperventilate. Only because i ended up in A&E last time.
My peak flow is normal, so i know i'm ok.
Aaaaaarrgghhh i get so annoyed with myself.
So glad to be home with the dogs x
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2007, 06:25 PM
Well I did it. Wasn't that bad today I felt fine once I was there. But now I have to go and see my doctor on Thursday if I can get in to see him, to get patches for my smoking as my lungs are getting worse. So another day to look forward to.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2007, 06:39 PM
well done heather and Jules for getting through today with no real mishaps (reading that it sounds so patronising- but is actually meant to be SOOOO supportive) I hope Thursday goes ok for you Heather and I hope the patches wor. And Jules I know what you mean, some days I love my work and others I can't see it far enough...think everyone has those days.

I am now worrying/anxious about going to York on Wed, I was bad enough but looking forward to me and OH having a relaxing time (hotel giot pool and I love water) and if it meant haing a meal room service so be it - but now worrying (needlessly ) that there will be some sort of terror attack on trains
Page 8 of 16 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »