Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2006, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Knottybabe if you are lucky enough to find a rescue puppy that is fine.
..is an older puppy that could have problems so it is best to be aware of this from the start if you say you can't cope with problems many of which may not manifest themselves in a rescue centre and don't really become apparent until a new dog settles in and gets over the initial shock of a move.

Good luck whatever you decide..
Mini does have a very valid point here. My own experience proved that as much experience I thought I had already had with a dog, nothing had prepared me for taking on a sound sensitive GSD. We've been through the mill and back with him, but as we 'took' him on as a family member, we have overcome this issue. It took us over a year, but worth it in the end.
(sound sensitivity, can be a genetic trait btw and a good rescue will assess them for this beforehand - unfortunately, we were not warned of this issue before adoption)
tillytails
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-12-2006, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Resue dogs are infinitely rewarding but you need to have lots of time and patience otherwise it is better to buy a puppy that hasn't already developed problems due to human failure.

I hope my post doesn't upset anyone, I rescued a dog and it was a great experience but not for the feint hearted.
Talking from 2 weeks experience of a rescue, I'll second that Mini ! My rescue's a fantastic little chap around the home, good with visitors, terrific in the car and at the vets, fast to train, but a nightmare on walks if there are people or other animals about - he's a terrorist on 4 legs and I'm struggling to know how to help him. And I have professional back-up to call on 24x7 yet he's still had me in tears on occasion wondering what on earth have I taken on. And I'm not feint-hearted .

I'd say that unless a rescue dog has been in a foster home for a few weeks and they've been observed in a normal environment, it's difficult to judge exactly what issues it may have. I've done loads of research too but as one newbie dog-owner to another, make sure the rescue centre really know the dog you're interested in and don't be pressurised into taking on any unknowns. I'd recommend Gwen Bailey's book 'The Rescue Dog' as she goes into how to assess the dogs for yourself and what special help they might need. Good luck !
maebme
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2006, 03:04 PM
I considered taking on a rescue Cavalier before getting Oscar, but I realised that with no recent experience of dogs I might be biting off more than I can chew. Now I have my wonderful wee pup, I realise just what a lot of work dogs can be, and I would not have been equipped to cope with one with problems.
I think rescues do wonderful work. But those who consider taking on a rescue dog, need to have experience. Knowing what type of behaviour is normal for a certain age and stage of development, you would then be able to recognise 'problem' behaviour and begin to correct it with patience and perseverance IMO.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2006, 05:02 PM
good luck hun, but we are al here for you if there are any probs, i took on my china as a rescue and she is as good as gold (getting better with other dogs now aswell thanks to dogsey members for tips btw!!!) and its great knowing you helped a homeless doggy but be prepared, make sure they have assessed the dog and it fits perfectly otherwise it will be traumatic and unfair on both of you...

Alex
xxx
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2006, 05:17 PM
Fab News
I agree with Mini also,just be aware that if the dog comes from a kennels rather than a foster home you may not know any history or it may be sketchy.Some rescue dogs have problems some don't,remember also that a dog maynot show it's true personality whilst in kennels.
We took on a 12 month old rescue ESS and we wouldn't be with out him,but he went into a foster home before we had him.
He was on lots of medication when he came to us,he wee's on the floor sometimes,usually down to excitement,but he's getting better.It took him a few weeks to settle down,we are lucky that we haven't had any major issues with him.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2006, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by knottybabe View Post
oh im going to come and sneak them out of your house!! i always look at your dogs pics there SOO lovely!!! :smt040 :smt007
Seeing as you're in Essex, have you tried that gsd rescue place in Surrey, I think it's in Guildford????? I will try very hard to think of their name, but it escapes me at the moment They have a website, they take pups and police dog pups that don't make the grade etc. and I nearly adopted from there once, a gorgeous longcoat, and they're very, very fussy as to who their dogs go to which I like! I might still have some paperwork so I'll try and find it for you ok!
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-12-2006, 06:02 PM
I think Vigil and Biggsd are in your area
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2006, 06:09 PM
That's the one Anne - Vigil German Shepherd Rescue, they're fantastic! Try them! Don't be put off by the Secretary woman, I think her bark is worse than her bite!!!
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-12-2006, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Vigil German Shepherd Rescue, they're fantastic!
I'll second that :smt023
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2006, 08:12 PM
Hiya! yeh i have seen them! ive put my name down on 2 palces so far, i just got a email back and was told to contact them when i move, so i guess i should wait really untill i have, no harm looking though.........!!
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »