Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2013, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by Lacey10 View Post
"People moaning about the weather and the price of a loaf of bread" sounds like Dogsey!!
LOL!

Gawd don't get me started on yer average 'ex pat Brit' Lacey!

It's why I don't live where they live! I am in among the ancient Cypriot refugees in the old Turkish houses and the league of nations in the apartments in the old town.

*I've probably still managed to 'lower the tone' notwithstanding all that!
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2013, 09:11 PM
I missed this thread too yesterday too

What fantastic photos and it looks heavenly there. Dear little Bella exploring her 'patch' Those salt crystals/flakes are incredible and to think that when the lake fills with water again you get flamingoes ........... WOW you lucky lady living in such a wonderful place. What do the flamingoes eat when they are there?

As for that brilliant blue sky
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2013, 09:17 PM
What a great life she has! Lovely photos!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2013, 06:20 AM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
What a great life she has! Lovely photos!
Try telling Bella that - she manages to look quite 'hard done by' a lot of the time! Especially when she is not getting it 'all her own way'. But then she's a 'me me me me' minpin and I knew what to expect - and I certainly got what I expected lol!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2013, 06:24 AM
Techie and eco information just for Jenny all about the salt lake and the flamingoes and the food chain etc.

Basically the answer to what they eat is 'Brine Shrimp' but it requires conditions to be just right and it can get quite complicated.

Well you DID ask lol!

I've deleted the long technical explanation - here it is in layman's language

flamingoes
Whenever the first rains occur greater flamingoes land on the salt lake. The rains bring the brine shrimp larvae to the surface and the flamingos like to eat the shrimp larvae. They also feel safer surrounded by water. The brine shrimp lays fertlised eggs in the sand which will hatch only when conditions are right, that is when lake is full of water, and the salinity of the water does not exceed 25%. Flamingoes arrive at the earliest in November, depending on rainfall, and leave at the latest in June. They make an autumnal migration south to overwinter in Africa, and a Spring migration north to breeding grounds on the Bosphorus in Turkey, the Carmargue in France and to southern Spain. The birds leaving early, in November, are probably heading south and those leaving in April, May are heading north. The flamingoes on the Larnaca saltlake are probably headed to Turkey. Our flamingoes may well be spending the winter here in Cyprus, although birds are arriving and leaving all the time so it is difficult to be certain. While here they feed and rest. They sometimes make a lot of noise, usually just before they are about to take off. When they leave they head off south east, either following the coast or follow the Trodos mountains, heading towards Turkey. Are the flamingoes travelling in family groups or are their groups random. As groups take off individuals some way away will join in and, once in the air, groups split off from the main group and circle back as if to pick up straglers.This may indicate that they stay in fixed groups during migration. Does anyone know? Young birds, those with black wing feathers travel inside the larger groups, but seem to stick together in juvenile flocks, and also seem to be the last to leave. In Spring the birds are more like to display, opening and closing their wings, dipping their heads with their wings pushed upwards, raising their heads up and down, moving their heads from side to side, and walking purposefully in circles.
The Christian Greek Orthodox legend is that the lake owes its existence to St Lazarus, who at the time when the lake was still covered with vineyards passed by, desperate with hunger, and asked the owner to give him a few grapes. The miserly woman lied and said “Stranger, my vines have withered this year and have not produced a single grape.” Lazarus retorted “Because you have lied to me, your vineyard will wither up and become a salt lake.”

If you believe that - you will believe any old rubbish IMHO!
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3