View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2011, 01:43 PM

Surreal conversations with other dog owners! Please share yours too:)

At the park today I had a rather surreal exchange with a fellow dog owner.

The woman who walked onto the field with a big, lovely Golden Retriever. Really nice looking dog and clearly, definitely a Golden...

She saw me with Dexter and smiled. I smiled back and remarked that her Golden was lovely.
'Oh, he's not a Golden,' she replied, 'He's a Labrador.'

Trust me, he wasn't!

She then looked at Dexter, who IS a Lab, and said 'Oh, now that's a nice Golden Retriever!'
I smiled and explained that no, Dex is a yellow Lab.
She frowned. 'Oh, really??? But he's got such short hair for a Lab, hasn't he?'

I mean, I'm no expert on breeds and would never, ever claim to be. But I do know the difference between a Lab and a Golden.......

Any strange/amusing exchanges with fellow dog owners to share...?
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2011, 01:49 PM
SOunds similar to a conversation I had with a lady with a miniature Poodle!

She said "Oh your dogs are trimmed lovely and they're Poodles like mine aren't they?"

I replied "They're the ugliest looking Poodles I've ever seen!"

Alos had a conversation with someone admiring my dogs and then touting for business for their grooming salon and when I said I was happy with Easton College where they go she said she had trained the top trainer at Easton College.

I asid it was nice of her to offer but my dogs had been going for years to the same place and I didn't want to change.

She then said "You do know you've got them trimmed wrong for Schnauzers don't you?"!!!!!

I am afraid I replied "I'm sorry but I would not want to take them to be groomed by someone who didn't even know which breed they were!"

Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-09-2011, 02:01 PM
My best one ever still has to be the man with two black and tan Dobermanns asking me what kind of pointers my brown and tan Dobermanns were
the3musketeers
New Member!
Female 

09-09-2011, 03:35 PM
I think my favourite was 'oh is,nt that sweet, mom, dad n pup all out together,' firstly both my springers are male secondly the pup we had with us was my king charles cav!!
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-09-2011, 03:53 PM
I had a conversation with someone a few months back who commented "what a lovely boxer your have, isn’t he massive for a boxer" when I explained he was not a boxer but in fact an American bulldog and boxers aren’t as weighty, he wouldn’t have it and proceed to argue with me.

Another one was when a women approached me and said what a lovely mastiff you have. I said no, he's not a mastiff he is an American bulldog, she said are you sure, he's the spit of my mastiff. Well of course I’m sure!!!! lol
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2011, 04:01 PM
I think one of my most memorable ones was when me and my friend were on the bus with Jess and Angus (both GSDs), when a lady started chatting to us and said she used to have a cross German Shepherd Alsatian lol (do you think I could get away with cheaper insurance if I say my two are GSD cross Alsatians ) lol
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2011, 04:22 PM
Ohhh too numerous but a few gems

"oh Dalmatian crosses, unusual cross" - Harvey has black spots showing through his coat

In the car one day outside village shop. Had three dogs in the car. Harvey about three months old, two young boys stopped at the car to look in. Rosie (red) was asleep at back of the car

Oh look at those white dogs, what are they (TB tallest boy)
Think they are dalmations, that ones got spots (SB smallest boy)
Never seen a one without spots (Katie) - TB
After some consideration & Rosie stirring enough to sit up
There's another one, that's a boxer - TB
I know, that's a mummy boxer and daddy boxer and their baby boxer TB

So my two girls were a couple

Or the time I had argument with a man that insisted there was no such thing as a White boxer

Too numerous tales over the years
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-09-2011, 04:36 PM
I get lots of debates about wether reggie (tall fox red lab) or Toast (Viszla) are Ridgebacks....

First of all neither of them have a ridge (slight give away i would have thought) and second of all they look very different to any ridges ive ever seen!

Oh and the lady who told me how you get fox red labs - that there was actually fox in the breeding... you know... to get the colour...

Not dog related but I did once have a chat with someone in the park about horses and they announced that their freinds mare had just had a foal at 32 years of age :shock. Had to bite my tongue to stop myself bursting out laughing...

Theres a self proclaimed dog therapist (so she calls herself) who frequently makes my day. Apparently according to her there are 4 great trainers in the world, the first one - is her the second one is ceaser millan.... at that point I stopped listening or taking anything she said seriously.. (not that I really did in the first place as she was wearing leather trousers and a lepoard print top.... to walk the dog.... )

She walks her collie x thing on an 'invisible lead' which (despite being told its illegal to have her of offlead by the road and being told this regularly) she keeps explaining and trying to teach it to impressionable dog owners at the park... and it never works... not even with her own dog when it ran across the road to see me the other day

I do tend to wait till shes gone and catch up to the dog owners and have a little chat lol
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2011, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by Pawsonboard View Post
I get lots of debates about wether reggie (tall fox red lab) or Toast (Viszla) are Ridgebacks....

First of all neither of them have a ridge (slight give away i would have thought) and second of all they look very different to any ridges ive ever seen!

Oh and the lady who told me how you get fox red labs - that there was actually fox in the breeding... you know... to get the colour...

Oh, you have to be kidding... that is PRICELESS!
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2011, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by Jugsmalone View Post
I had a conversation with someone a few months back who commented "what a lovely boxer your have, isn’t he massive for a boxer" when I explained he was not a boxer but in fact an American bulldog and boxers aren’t as weighty, he wouldn’t have it and proceed to argue with me.
Lol, there's a young dog round here that I'm still trying to work out whether it's a boxer or an american bulldog. Leaning towards AB, it's looking a bit big and bulky to be a boxer but I've seen some HUGE boxers so who knows. Maybe I'll figure it out when it's an adult.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »