Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
The dog was 33" or the Stafford was 33".
If it was 33" it was not a Stafford, given that nature is unreliable they do sometimes go over the desired height of 16" and some can be successful in the ring over the desired height, the biggest I have seen is 19" (measured) but 33" is no Stafford.
The owner tells me he is a an Irish Staffordshire terrier. I don't know much about the breed so not sure what being Irish would have to do with anything - perhaps they breed them bigger ?
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by Kevin Colwill View Post
I might be running a tad off topic but my point is “breed not deed” is one thing but saying all dogs are equally dangerous or that small dogs are more dangerous than large does not ring true.

Is saying that small dogs bite more people, more often really the same as saying they are more dangerous?

Say a Yorkie bites your little finger and really means it...stitches, hospital, pain but you still got a finger. Say a Dogo, a Pit Bull, a Fila or a Tosa grabbed on in earnest...no finger!

We all dislike the Dangerous Dogs act and yet just legalising the outlawed “types” can’t be the best way forward. It will just mean more of them on the streets with the worst type of owners.

We do need to focus on the owners - fitting the right owners to the right dogs and tackling the idea of status dogs. What’s the most cost effective way of doing that?

I’m not sure but I see the compulsory insurance model used for cars and motor bikes basically working to keep the potentially most dangerous vehicles away from the worst and most inexperienced drivers. I think the same principles could be applied with dogs.

Yes, there’d be those who would flaunt the law. A levy on insurance premiums could help pay for proper enforcement. Sensible owners of guarding breeds would get the something on a par with a no claims and experienced driver bonus.

It’s not an ideal system but simply saying little dogs bite more often, whilst possibly very true, is a bit of a red herring in the wider debate.
The DDA has done nothing to stop the rise in status dogs. Tosa's where never in this country in numbers anyway.
Now to me a status dog means a dog that enhances a persons status so that could be any breed.
Real pitbuls in my opinion are very few and far between and what you have is a whole selection of crossbreeds used to look like the type known as the pitbull. The dogs used to achieve this look are varied and at the begining the most popular were staffords crossed with either Boxers or Labs. That changed when the lad down the road started putting those crosses to mastiffs, giving a bigger more muscled up dog. Now we see more husky Akitta type of dogs becoming more popular.
Stafford registrations with the KC are well down only those coloured blue are keeping the numbers up.
Biggest raise I believe is with the French Bull dog, a status dog for an other reason.

No matter the breed, a dog is generally dangerous when it has a numpty owner, the bigger the numpty the more dangerous the dog
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
The owner tells me he is a an Irish Staffordshire terrier. I don't know much about the breed so not sure what being Irish would have to do with anything - perhaps they breed them bigger ?

At 33" it is not a Stafford and at 33" is even big for a pitbull. I would suggest it is cross breed
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
At 33" it is not a Stafford and at 33" is even big for a pitbull. I would suggest it is cross breed

I have just googled and he is massive compared to the pictures I could find, also has a less pointy face much closer to the loose folds of a boxer. So I think you could be right. They paid £400 for a pedigree dog !!
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
I have just googled and he is massive compared to the pictures I could find, also has a less pointy face much closer to the loose folds of a boxer. So I think you could be right. They paid £400 for a pedigree dog !!
He likely has some sort of mastif in there.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-08-2011, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by missy01 View Post
I agree with what has already been said, yes a smaller dog is more likely to bite but with minimal damage, never heard of anyone being mauled to death by a yorkie....
This damage was not inflicted by a Yorkie but a Westie. Still a small dog though:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2019863/Icy-Thomas-Day-2-eyelid-bitten-savage-dog-attack.html
missy01
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-08-2011, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
This damage was not inflicted by a Yorkie but a Westie. Still a small dog though:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2019863/Icy-Thomas-Day-2-eyelid-bitten-savage-dog-attack.html
these pictures are truly awful, the poor poor children.

But if that had been a mastiff or a GSD, (for example) would they even be alive?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 11:00 AM
What is the purpose of posting pictures of people bitten by small dogs, stating anecdotal evidence about small dogs putting people in hospital, etc.? it doesn't mean anything. ALL dogs can bite and individuals of all breeds of dog (due to a combination of poor genetics, upbringing, etc.) have the potential to be dangerous. SIZE and BREED are not the issue here -- people are!

Generalizations about dog breeds purely based on size don't help anyone and it is utter nonsense.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-08-2011, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
What is the purpose of posting pictures of people bitten by small dogs, stating anecdotal evidence about small dogs putting people in hospital, etc.? it doesn't mean anything. ALL dogs can bite and individuals of all breeds of dog (due to a combination of poor genetics, upbringing, etc.) have the potential to be dangerous. SIZE and BREED are not the issue here -- people are!

Generalizations about dog breeds purely based on size don't help anyone and it is utter nonsense.
I apologise. I only posted it in response to the comment

a smaller dog is more likely to bite but with minimal damage
because I would not consider that injury "minimal damage".
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
I apologise. I only posted it in response to the comment

because I would not consider that injury "minimal damage".

Well actually compared with the damage Mollie could do if she bit (collie cross) I would suggest it is relative really.
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >