Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2011, 07:49 AM

A senior dogs prayer.

For Gracie
Thanks to Claire (Lilypup) for sharing this with me.

One by one, they pass my cage, too old, too worn, too broken, no way! Way past his time, he can't run and play. They shake their heads slowly and go on their way. A little old man, arthritic and sore, it seems I'm not wanted anymore. I once had a home, I once had a bed, a place that was warm and where I was fed. Now my muzzle is grey and my eyes slowly fail. Who wants a dog so old and so frail? My family decided I didn't belong, I got in their way, my attitude was wrong. Whatever excuse they made in their head can't justify how they left me for dead. Now I sit in this cage where day after day, those younger dogs get adopted away. When I had almost come to the end of my rope, you saw my face and I finally had hope! You saw through the grey and the legs bent with age...and felt I still had life beyond the cage. You took me home, gave me food and a bed...and shared your pillow with an old tired head. We snuggle and play, and you talk to me low. You love me so dearly, you want me to know. I may have lived most of my life with another but you outshine them with a love so much stronger. And I promise to return all the love I can give, to you my dear person, as long as I live. I may be with you a week or for years; we will share many smiles, you will no doubt shed tears. And when the time comes that God deems I must leave, I know you will cry and your heart, it will grieve. And when I arrive at the Bridge, all brand new...my thoughts and my heart will still be with you. And I will brag to all those who will hear...OF THE ANGEL WHO MADE MY LAST DAYS SO DEAR. ~ Author unknown

To all those, including Claire that opened their lives to an oldie. xx
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2011, 08:13 AM
Thats beautiful....and sad too
Brought tears to my eyes xx
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2011, 08:26 AM
Thats me sobbing again
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2011, 08:39 AM
Oh no sad poems! I love oldie dogs and wanted to have one from rescue when we were waiting for Cherry and Parker but hubbie said no
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-05-2011, 09:48 AM
That's amazing, made me cry tbh (takes a lot to do that)
I got an oldie but she was about a yr when i got her. Just hope people who insist of having 8 week old pups see this.

To me i always see old rescues as giving the most love as they've seen it before (ie. being abandoned) so love us more when we care for them
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Very touching.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2011, 03:59 PM
That was beautiful, tears are flowing. Think my Boyo thinks this though I don't think he'd lived in a house before I had him at about 10. Must say I think my Dax who was 11 when I had him adored me too, though he was different in that his mum had had a stroke & had to go into a home. Had Boyo straight from the pound or his tale would have been worse. His seven days were up & he was due to be put to sleep next day. I've had him 18 months now so 18 months more life & a house to live in.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2011, 04:05 PM
Oh lord...I'm off again! Where are the tissues?!! Beautiful but sad I love oldies
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2011, 04:15 PM
That is very touching and certainly makes the tears flow.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2011, 04:56 PM
Glad you all enjoyed it, even if it did make us all cry.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >