register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: What do you think of the Grand National?
I think it should stay but changes need to be made 70 56.45%
I think it should stay with no changes 8 6.45%
I bet on it 16 12.90%
I don't bet on it 29 23.39%
I don't care one way or the other. 1 0.81%
I think it should be abolished 43 34.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 9 of 29 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 > Last »
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Now, I noticed not one person who professes to be pro horse racing has really justified (the loss of life) and their reason for enjoying and supporting the sport. I still cannot understand how ''well horses could day in every day life anyway'' is enough. You are supporting a sport that puts animals lives at risk. How can you honestly continue to support it?
I'm going to really stick my neck out here...

In response to the highlighted part...

Because. Because I have a million and one other things to think and worry about that are more important in my world. I have a full time job. We are horribly in debt. My sister is recovering from cancer. My husband works very long hours and is at risk of a breakdown. I worry about my own dogs, and chickens and ducks. I think about which debt we can afford to pay this month, and whether I can put petrol in my car for me to get to work.

I think about what we will eat this month, and when I will find time to plant my potatoes. I think about the massive event I am planning for work and the fact that I need some new shoes.

Frankly, and I am well aware how selfish this makes me sound, I have no time to worry about stuff that doesn't concern me or my family personally.

That's why.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 06:35 PM
Pidge, I don't need to calm down thank you, but nor do I need you telling me off on here about the interaction I have with someone! Dawn is more than capable of standing up for herself and in all honesty I find it amusing you have stepped up as her champion!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
There's a big difference between keeping a pet for companionship, with mutual respect, consideration and care than exploiting an animal for personal gain, especially when there is suffering involved.

I find it shocking that I'm having to point the difference out - on a dog lovers forum!
Do me a favour Azz, service dogs serve people, period. Thats the ONLY reason they are bred, the only reason they exist. Please dont expect people to believe they are anything other than that, most people who have them dont have "pets" only that dog that does what is needed by its keeper.

Many discard guide dogs when they are finished with them, weird though, if it were a showdog everyone would be up in arms!!

Just because a service dog is kept in the home, it means nothing aside from the fact that thats where its required. They do a FANTASTIC job, change the lives of so many people, but at the end of the day thats they whole reason they are there to be used by those people.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Pidge, I don't need to calm down thank you, but nor do I need you telling me off on here about the interaction I have with someone! Dawn is more than capable of standing up for herself and in all honesty I find it amusing you have stepped up as her champion!
Ahh its nice isnt it.

Anyways, nobody is defending me, I dont need it, we will all disgaree at times, doesnt mean anything to me, other than you dont agree with me, so lets not chew on that.

Re Horses being killed.

I HAVE said, I have no terrible awful feeling that makes me not want to watch again. Its the risk in the sport, its a Horse. Providing its cared for and treated with respect and immediately, then I dont have a problem with it.

Obviously I would prefer that there be no risk at any time, thats never going to happen, but safety is improving all the time, Im all for that.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Do me a favour Azz, service dogs serve people, period. Thats the ONLY reason they are bred, the only reason they exist. Please dont expect people to believe they are anything other than that, most people who have them dont have "pets" only that dog that does what is needed by its keeper.

Many discard guide dogs when they are finished with them, weird though, if it were a showdog everyone would be up in arms!!

Just because a service dog is kept in the home, it means nothing aside from the fact that thats where its required. They do a FANTASTIC job, change the lives of so many people, but at the end of the day thats they whole reason
they are there to be used by those people.
I agree totally with Dawn on this one. It actually
really upsets me and is the reason we don't puppy walk anymore. Many owners adore their dogs and would
nevee be parted from them and the dogs
have a fab life, but some aren't so lucky.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 06:52 PM
Service dogs do only exist to be just that though and as Dawn said in terms of rehoming they get away with things that other people wouldn't.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 06:54 PM
I agree totally with Dawn on this one. It actually
really upsets me and is the reason we don't puppy walk anymore. Many owners adore their dogs and would
nevee be parted from them and the dogs
have a fab life, but some aren't so lucky.
Service dogs do only exist to be just that though and as Dawn said in terms of rehoming they get away with things that other people wouldn't.
Stop agreeing, it will spoil our rep!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 06:58 PM
I don't bet on it and would be happy to see it abolished.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

11-04-2011, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post

Just because a service dog is kept in the home, it means nothing aside from the fact that thats where its required. They do a FANTASTIC job, change the lives of so many people, but at the end of the day thats they whole reason they are there to be used by those people.
At least they are not suffering - and from what I've seen are often loved and cared for.

If that doesn't happen and they are being abused - why do you think I would think it acceptable? I wouldn't. I am against ALL abuse of dogs/animals.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

11-04-2011, 07:11 PM
I would need more info/facts to form an opinion. Are they re-homed because they can't be cared for? Or to help someone else? My main concern would be their welfare.
Page 9 of 29 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 > Last »