Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

13-02-2011, 04:45 PM

Which country is doing it well?

When it comes to dog welfare, which country do you think has the most effective measures - which help ensure less dogs are in homes, lower numbers of back yard breeders and puppy farmers, breeders are more responsible (re health checks etc) and anything else you can think of which looks out for dog welfare.

...And which of those measures do you think your own country should adopt?

For example, doesn't Sweden have a law that makes breeders more accountable and responsible for the life time of any dogs they breed? Would that be worth adopting here?
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

13-02-2011, 08:25 PM
Excellant question Azz, I will have to think about this a bit

Just quickly I also have heard some good things about Sweden, but then they do almost everything better than most countries don't they

France also seems to have a very dog friendly attitude when it comes to shops and cafes but I have no idea what it's like for official regulations.

The Eastern Europe countries are not good IMO although there does seem to be less deliberate cruelty but that is mainly down to the fact that parents and schools still discipline children and teach them right from wrong the Police here are always telling the media that a lot of crime is 'imported' what ever that means
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 02:29 AM
Well, I don't know who does it well, but I sure know the USA doesn't!
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
Well, I don't know who does it well, but I sure know the USA doesn't!

That made me giggle
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-02-2011, 12:24 AM
well im from CAN....not sure what others are doing but ifeel can is doing ok...allways room for improvment.....people love there dogs here,strict rules.leash laws,lots of dog parks.sevices and all around good attitude...iv been in counties were dog were no more than a pigion with 4 legs..rome free.tolerated...the richer the county the bigger the gap in good and bad...spoiled rotten....totally explotied....i feel that money and the economy reflect our views about dogs and policy for them as a country....imo
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 12:27 AM
Why are strict rules and leash laws a good thing necessarily? I find that rules here are TOO strict. In some European countries dogs get to go a lot of places and the dogs are better behaved than here in the USA. I wish our rules would be a bit more relaxed. I'm tired of the anti-dog attitude here.

Here in the USA we have far too many high kill shelters, BYBs, and puppy mills and not enough shelter managers willing to put in the extra work to make their shelter animals more attractive to the public.
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-02-2011, 12:35 AM
we have leash laws that help.dog dog incidents/ dog human incidents./ also fence laws...and muzzle requirments...it has worked to decrease hospital and vet visits...dog problems.....it also created trouble for others..no such thing as letting them off the leash to run....we do as a country of dog owners, but we are not supose to....its usually when there is trouble that it is mentioned ...if my dogs were off leash people have a fit....but others. feel there yorkie is ok.....stuff like that.....al oose dog goes to the pound....dog dont seem to roam as much in CAN...i think we are pretty good at it...
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-02-2011, 12:39 AM
denmark
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-02-2011, 12:45 AM
so for mine to run...and they must ...i need a fence , that was forced on me....a dog that cant run free.....hard to emagine that there are dogs who...never ran....im all about loosen up also.....ther should be more balance....id love to live were there are no leash laws...so would the dogs!!!but i do understand civic duity,responsable dog ownership...iv got pits and dogos.im sensitive to others who see the dogs.and fear the worst.....most in CAN do there best for there dogs...laws well there loose but still there ...i would get a fine in a second...they guy with the yokie off leash ...probably not....
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-02-2011, 12:46 AM
denmark????do tell...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >