Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
And this whole thread started from a comment I made about Lozzi's Jake and off lead exercise. There I believe I said that many of the options that are open for high energy dogs that have to be kept on lead (such as biking, jogging, etc.) are not options for a young dog like Jake. Thus having no real outlet for his energy, and no suitable alternatives, wasn't going to be doing him or his behaviour any favours.
Good post. Agreed.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Yep - I know how it started

But....I happen to beleive that there are alternatives.....and I have watched it with young dogs who have (for health reasons) been unable to have any kind of off lead exercise.
It is not an easy route to go down - it involves alot of thinking on the part of the owner as to how to vary what the dog does and to challenge the dog mentally while still allowing it to 'be a dog'....but it IS possible.
Possible, but not ideal, is it? Esepcially for young (I mean young dogs, not young puppies!), fit and healthy dogs.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 07:17 PM
Ok, after reading each and every thread my final answer is that it all depends on the individual dog. Some dogs would be content with varied and stimulating walks confined to a lead of whatever length and some do actually need to free run.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I think some dogs that are free run everyday and thats all they get miss out on heaps of interaction with their owners.

As I said at the start it is the quality of the walk and the relationship with the owner that is important, not whether the dog is on or offlead....yes it's nice to give offlead but not a necessity.
I have to agree with this, I saw something from my youngster in the past 3 days that I've never seen before in her, and it was very nice, it didn't happen until we got back home through the gates, and it's something that no amount of playing/training indoors or out with her could have achieved, and I enjoyed it tremendously, I'm so glad I've discovered this lead walking on long distances!

I have to say, I'd never walked onlead until her first season, and that was still up on the south downs (and only for 3 weeks), on an extendable and she never goes further than that anyway, unless she's charging around, and my other lead walks through the village after her spey were very short indeed, but this new type of lead walking has been totally different from either of those, and I'm going to continue with it too, I like the results I've had!

I'll still be letting her run and play on our first walk of the day with my other dog, but from now on, I'll be doing a bit of both, just coz I can! I can't believe I'm actually saying this either! So for me, both is the ideal, and even when I had a very dog aggressive dog, even she got to be let off for a run when nobody was about, I still feel it's part of their all round contentment, personally.

ETA: When I first got Georgie at the age of 5, he had NEVER been let offlead, he was only walked around the block, or down the beach, but never let to run free, and I can honestly say, since being allowed this extra freedom over the past 6 years, he's definitely a lot, lot happier having that included.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
But onlead exercise can be a suitable alternative if done properly. Since you have never had the need to plan a stimulating onlead walk with a dog how could you know it can't fulfill them?
Look, you are going by your dogs, I'm going by mine. I'm sure some lead walks could forfill them, but I'm of the opinion that doing all lead walks would NOT be forfilling for them, based on their individual temperaments. I'm sure if knew my dog in question you'd see exactly why she needs (yes, needs!!) to run free.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
Ok, after reading each and every thread my final answer is that it all depends on the individual dog. Some dogs would be content with varied and stimulating walks confined to a lead of whatever length and some do actually need to free run.
I think that just about sums it up.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 07:28 PM
1. If we all had to do the exact same thing day in, day out we would be bored. So will our dogs, which is why my answer is ''dogs should have a run about off lead as much as onlead walks and training sessions and play sessions, daily''.

2. None of these are essential all the time, but some breeds, or even dogs will need this variety of stimulation daily.

3. If off lead is NEVER possible I'm sure the inventive ones among us have come up with a suitable alternative, which I believe there is.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Possible, but not ideal, is it? Esepcially for young (I mean young dogs, not young puppies!), fit and healthy dogs.
but if it can provide them with what they need why can it not be ideal?

In my mind I love having dogs off lead running free....but I do not think it is essential - you can provide everything the dog needs to do without it, therefore it can be ideal.

AND....if it is a possibility that is it casuing more issues that it is solving - be they physical OR mental I cannot see why it is not a viable alernative.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I have to agree with this, I saw something from my youngster in the past 3 days that I've never seen before in her, and it was very nice, it didn't happen until we got back home through the gates, and it's something that no amount of playing/training indoors or out with her could have achieved, and I enjoyed it tremendously, I'm so glad I've discovered this lead walking on long distances!

I have to say, I'd never walked onlead until her first season, and that was still up on the south downs (and only for 3 weeks), on an extendable and she never goes further than that anyway, unless she's charging around, and my other lead walks through the village after her spey were very short indeed, but this new type of lead walking has been totally different from either of those, and I'm going to continue with it too, I like the results I've had!

I'll still be letting her run and play on our first walk of the day with my other dog, but from now on, I'll be doing a bit of both, just coz I can! I can't believe I'm actually saying this either! So for me, both is the ideal, and even when I had a very dog aggressive dog, even she got to be let off for a run when nobody was about, I still feel it's part of their all round contentment, personally.

ETA: When I first got Georgie at the age of 5, he had NEVER been let offlead, he was only walked around the block, or down the beach, but never let to run free, and I can honestly say, since being allowed this extra freedom over the past 6 years, he's definitely a lot, lot happier having that included.
Yep a balance is really good and something to aim for
I still stand by my they don't NEED a good run it is just nice for them
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Look, you are going by your dogs, I'm going by mine. I'm sure some lead walks could forfill them, but I'm of the opinion that doing all lead walks would NOT be forfilling for them, based on their individual temperaments. I'm sure if knew my dog in question you'd see exactly why she needs (yes, needs!!) to run free.
How do you know if you haven't even tried?
You said your dog is the polar opposite of mine in terms of temperament and energy levels, which is surprising. Are your dogs aggressive couch potatos then...is it that you can't get them out for a lead walk?

Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
1. If we all had to do the exact same thing day in, day out we would be bored. So will our dogs, which is why my answer is ''dogs should have a run about off lead as much as onlead walks and training sessions and play sessions, daily''.

2. None of these are essential all the time, but some breeds, or even dogs will need this variety of stimulation daily.

3. If off lead is NEVER possible I'm sure the inventive ones among us have come up with a suitable alternative, which I believe there is.
Indeed there is. Which is why I say dogs don't NEED offlead exercise...it is just a nice added bonus
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
but if it can provide them with what they need why can it not be ideal?

In my mind I love having dogs off lead running free....but I do not think it is essential - you can provide everything the dog needs to do without it, therefore it can be ideal.

AND....if it is a possibility that is it casuing more issues that it is solving - be they physical OR mental I cannot see why it is not a viable alernative.
I agree...again
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 07:54 PM
Surely no one on this thread is saying dogs NEED off-lead exercise, are they?
Page 16 of 46 « First < 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 26 > Last »