Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2009, 08:58 PM

is 6 months too young to spay?

i have a 14 week old jrt and when she got her last jab my vet told me to book her in when she is 6 months old to be spayed.

i was always under the impression that all bitches should have 1 season before they are spayed. my vet said it doesn't matter in the smaller breeds.

has anyone got any experiences of this? i don't want to breed from lily but i do want to do what's best for her.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-08-2009, 09:00 PM
no right or wrong. some vets says believe wait for first season, some vets dont.

ive seen plenty dogs spayed (and neutered) at 6 months, never gave us cause for concern
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-08-2009, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
no right or wrong. some vets says believe wait for first season, some vets dont.

ive seen plenty dogs spayed (and neutered) at 6 months, never gave us cause for concern
Maybe no 'right or wrong' as you put it, but here is a compilation of evidence:

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongT...uterInDogs.pdf
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-08-2009, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by MaryS View Post
Maybe no 'right or wrong' as you put it, but here is a compilation of evidence:

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongT...uterInDogs.pdf
meant right or wrong answer.

good link
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2009, 09:47 PM
I had the same dilema wondering whether to get my puppy spayed at 6 months. Didn't really help at the vets as one of the vets would do it & the other wouldn't. I eventually decided to wait. She's nearly 9 months old now & just finishing her first season so will be done in November,
I would just read up on links your'e given on fors & againsts & make your own informed choice.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2009, 10:08 PM
thanks guys. i'll look further into it too but it helps to hear others opinions.
logan44
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-08-2009, 10:10 PM
It is difficult to call, as most vets differ on opinion so much, i personally havn,t had a bitch, but my mum who has always had bitches would say to spay at 6 mths and a few friends i know with bitches seem to agree, i guess do your research and decide what you think is the best road to go
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-08-2009, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
i have a 14 week old jrt and when she got her last jab my vet told me to book her in when she is 6 months old to be spayed.

i was always under the impression that all bitches should have 1 season before they are spayed. my vet said it doesn't matter in the smaller breeds.

has anyone got any experiences of this? i don't want to breed from lily but i do want to do what's best for her.
Hi Lily I have a small breed and my vet in line with many prefers to spay midway between seasons that is three months from the start of the first season which is usually around 9 months of age.

At this time the hormones have settled down following the previous season and there is less chance of heavy bleeding.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-08-2009, 11:28 PM
None of the studies were good controlled experiments, just gathering data from studies on other things. The advantages to waiting are neither well established, or major.

None of the studies take into account mishaps even experienced dog owners can have. Mishaps that can lead to the dog getting loose and then anything can happen. There is also the mess and hassles of having a female in season. Listen to your vet.

Another link, http://www.avma.org/animal_health/br...r_brochure.asp
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2009, 11:36 PM
I would let her have her first season before spaying.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »