View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2009, 01:26 PM
I was turned down by the dogs trust and the RSPCA on the grounds that they thought three dogs was too many in a 2 bedroom house. (we all fit in just fine thank you). I was turned down by a breed rescue because I am single and work (even though I had a pet sitter for my other two dogs).

Rescues have all sorts of odd policies and remembering the hassle I went through to try to rescue both before I got jackjack and after he died. I had more or less given up on ever being able to get a rescue dog.

However my visit to woodgreen animal shelter when I was looking at Santa the Husky, changed my mind. Woodgreen seemed to have more sensible policies regarding rehoming, and Husky rescue seemed to be much nicer people all round to deal with. So there's some hope... I have every intention of looking to rescue my next dog.. Even though I may well be single, working full time and still living in a two bedroom house!

Mind you at least I dont have rottweilers or breed

I'm sure there will be a rescue out there who can look at the sort of home tyou would offer objectively and place a dog with you.

Good luck in your search and I look forward to welcoming your new little chap to dogsey
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2009, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
awe thanks thats so sweet,

but to be honest, the way kcjack spat at me this morning,.....well if thats the type of person im going to be up against {being as shes at the fore-front of a rescue} its kinda put me off...
This has really upset me, that someone who has obviously got a lot to offer a dog, is put off by this person, Shona i can assure you we're not all like that, i don't spout it from the rooftops, but i have been working in rescue for the last three years and look after yorkshire for Northern English Springer Spaniel rescue which is probaly one of the larger springer rescues.

Its hard enough finding suitable homes for dogs as it is at the moment without people givig rescue a bad name with poor attitude.

Now how do you fancy a gobby cocker got a few of those at the moment
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2009, 01:33 PM
having given this some thought for some time now,

I think what I will do, is let some more rescues know im intrested, {some do already}

I do want a little dog, but I will wait on one that may have a problem being re-homed.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2009, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
This has really upset me, that someone who has obviously got a lot to offer a dog, is put off by this person, Shona i can assure you we're not all like that, i don't spout it from the rooftops, but i have been working in rescue for the last three years and look after yorkshire for Northern English Springer Spaniel rescue which is probaly one of the larger springer rescues.

Its hard enough finding suitable homes for dogs as it is at the moment without people givig rescue a bad name with poor attitude.

Now how do you fancy a gobby cocker got a few of those at the moment
I know how hard rescues work, its such a shame when a few give the majority a bad name.

awe, bless, thanks for your post, Im a terrible groomer, but if you do hear of something short coated, with an attitude let me know
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2009, 01:42 PM
Aw where were you for my poor Jackjack, you would have loved him and maybe have been a better home for him. Though I loved him dearly I never could break him of his bad habits.. He was aggressive, traumatised, had phobias, was half bald with mange, had a broken jaw, badly mended broken ribs and legs and fused hips possibly from a birth defect.. But he was full of character and looked just like a little rottweiller... You and he would have got along famously..

When you're looking about, keep an eye out for the breed 'Lancashire heeler' ...
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2009, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
Aw where were you for my poor Jackjack, you would have loved him and maybe have been a better home for him. Though I loved him dearly I never could break him of his bad habits.. He was aggressive, traumatised, had phobias, was half bald with mange, had a broken jaw, badly mended broken ribs and legs and fused hips possibly from a birth defect.. But he was full of character and looked just like a little rottweiller... You and he would have got along famously..

When you're looking about, keep an eye out for the breed 'Lancashire heeler' ...

awe bless hes so sweet, im sure you loved him so much,

dougie likes LH's but you dont see any down this way, but I would have one if it came up

dougie would go round telling people it was a sawn-off rottweiler though...lol
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2009, 01:50 PM
Jackjack certainly thought he was a sawn off rottweiler
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-06-2009, 02:00 PM
I think there are a lot of rescues who'll judge people on individual situations, not with blanket policies.

Maggie came from Wood Green and although I can't vouch for them 100%, I definitely felt that their priority was placing the right dog with the right person first and foremost. I think there are a lot of rescues who will see past the "breeder" label and look at you for the home you can offer.

I really hope you find the right dog Shona, as you so obviously have a great life to offer it.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2009, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by JanieM View Post
I think there are a lot of rescues who'll judge people on individual situations, not with blanket policies.

Maggie came from Wood Green and although I can't vouch for them 100%, I definitely felt that their priority was placing the right dog with the right person first and foremost. I think there are a lot of rescues who will see past the "breeder" label and look at you for the home you can offer.

I really hope you find the right dog Shona, as you so obviously have a great life to offer it.
thanks Janie,

Im sure one will turn up sometime, I have a few people on the look out for me now, so whats for me will not pass me as they say
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-06-2009, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
not as such, I have chatted to people who work/help in rescue so far, these are mostly the smaller ones,

Though I have had one member whos at the fore-front of rescue have a right old go at me this morning, apparently im a "jumped up breeder" whatever that is, its that kind of attitude that puts you off...

I really would not let someone like that put you off taking in a rescue... surely they cant all have such a bad attitude, otherwise they would never re home any of their dogs...

I would expect some one who runs and coordernates a rescue, needs to be able to converse with would be owners in a civilized manner.... so what you experienced this morning, will NOT be typical of such people

You have a lot to offer in many ways, and I am sure who ever you deal with will see that.

A doggy is out there , it will find you , I am sure of that
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >