Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2009, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
But do you think your more influenced because you have got to know me over a long space of time on here dani?

if you had never met me, would you feel diff coming out knowing Im a breeder with 4 rotties, which will be going up to 5 when I have another litter?
No, I am speaking from the point of view of not knowing you just your situation, I usually chat with the people over the phone first to get a feel, I would know I was walking into a house with 4 rotties, and would base my decision on how your dogs were behaved and how you acted with me.

I would make it very clear that we would only home a speyed or neutered dog to you, and would also be clear on our adoption.breeding etc rules before hand.

I try not to make decisions before I come out, sometimes its hard because you know you are going to homecheck a numpty for lack of a better word after some of the conversations I have had with people, but you cant refuse to go out.

I am honest and if I have any doubts or queries I ask them to explain or give more info on what bothers me.

I dont know Shona, I would think if i went in a house with 4 well looked after and behaved dogs, who looked healthy, and the person gave me their reasons for rescue and were up front on why they are breeding etc then i cant see why I would have a problem really. However I havent had one yet, I have only ever rehomed to none dog households so far, however am trying to rehome 2 wee boys at moment to homes with dogs and its proving more difficult than I thought.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2009, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by gsdmad View Post
Theres lots of little dogs on manytears
I know, I think blossom has been there for quite a while now, and cawdor looks like a lovely wee chap
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2009, 10:20 PM
I think as has been suggested, a smaller rescue who are better able to judge on an 'individual' basis, would be the way to go. Goodluck xxxxxxxxxx

Or a private rehome.......?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2009, 10:21 PM
why do the two boys need a home with dogs dani?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2009, 10:23 PM
I was turned down by the Cats Protection for a kitten because I have Terriers and they kill Cats!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2009, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
why do the two boys need a home with dogs dani?
they dont necessarily, they are two brothers that have lived together quite happily for 3 years and then had a fight and now cant be kept together, however they both really enjoy other dogs company and pine when alone so would benefit from friends, however both of them appear to prefer the company of boys than bitches but we would be reluctant to rehome to another home with a male dog incase same situation arose.

They are fab wee boys, so lovely and just love a cuddle. I have a hopeful homecheck to do, and a meeting with the bitch in that household so hopefully they will get on.....

Its just more difficult when trying to rehome with another animal as most of our dogs are direct rehomes as we try to avoid them having to come into kennels.

We just dont have the homes coming forward just now, we have 3 urgent cases needing homes and nobody calling for them
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2009, 05:47 AM
There would be no problem with us as all our dogs are neutered before leaving us, what you do with your own dogs is your business, and contrary to popular believe not all rescues think breeders should be shot on sight as long as the homecheck went ok, and the vets reference was fine and your dogs got on with the dog in question.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2009, 05:50 AM
I would hope any rescue would judge you on your merits, Shona, not on any presumed flaws just because you have rotts.......

x0x
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2009, 05:54 AM
I think you would be fine, even with a couple of the bigger rescues Shona. If in doubt...check it out. Go down and have an off the record chat with the staff.
Some bigger rescues will insist on neutering your new dog first which is fine.They would also want to see yours interacting with it, which is fine. They would also want to get to know you more...which is fine.

The breed rescues may not neuter but would probably be fine with rehoming to you, again once they get to know you.

I know a few rescue people with a few dogs of differing breeds,okay most are neutered (they are rescues) but they do have multiple dogs.

I would definitely pop down to your nearest resce and have a chat.

If you are being breed specific...I do think it is worth going through breed rescue. We realised it was another Flat Coat we wanted and so went to breed rescue...it was so worth it!

Good luck...it will be a licky little doglet. You see you forgot to mention on your first post about the fact that you train dogs...you have vast amounts of experience...you could get references from vets/other breed rescues...the list is endless Shona. Go for it.
malwhit
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-06-2009, 06:03 AM
Our local council-funded stray/dog pound allows anyone to take a dog without a home check. If the dog has been in more than 7 days, you can take it home on your first visit as long as you pay the fee.

I know rescue centres should ensure the dogs get a good home - but sometimes their rules prevent their dogs going to new homes. My friend was turned down by a rescue as she works 4 hours 3 days a week, but our local alcoholic was allowed one because he is at home all day, even though he is off his head by 11am
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »