View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 03:36 PM
Wasn't sure how to take this..............but then I am old and growing grey.
I have well controlled dogs, who walk without leads.....

but then I suppose I must be also deemed as responsible, as I wouldn't walk mine through sheep with no leads, if in lambing and they spook, they could loose the lambs.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 03:37 PM
Not sure if it is illegal or not but it isn't something I would do. I used to have a friend who ran sheep and my Boxers were used to being off lead among them even blocked gates a couple of times when we moved them.

I would still never have had them off lead around other peoples sheep.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 03:46 PM
if in lambing and they spook, they could loose the lambs.
Yep, it is just plain irresponsible. Luckily I have never seen anyone around here with dogs off leads in fields of livestock. Although there are always some that think they are an exception to the rule.
ALexa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2009, 03:48 PM
I thought unless signed, it was just the responsible thing to do...or to have them under close control.
Just to make clear what my whole sentance was....as it has been quoted........

The OP does say that the 2 off lead dogs are not interested in sheep and they had the Yorkie on as they didn't know what reaction the Yorkie would have. Seems a fairly responsible action to me.....but as i said not sure what the law is and I guess it depends on exactly how uninterested the offlead dogs are. I personally put my dogs on lead, but then i have high drive collies and a JRT entering teenage stage that is a madam. Because of this i have never needed to clarify the law.

Does anyone know what the law does state?
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 03:53 PM
What it actually says about dogs off lead and Livestock

Worrying Livestock

When on any enclosed land with sheep all dogs must be on a lead or 'under close control'. If you allow your dog to worry livestock you can be prosecuted and fined, ordered to pay compensation and even have the dog destroyed. Now who's worried? Worrying livestock means attacking or chasing any farm animal or poultry - there does not have to be any contact. This is outlined in the Animals Act 1971 section 9, which also states that the farmer is not liable to compensate the dog’s owner in such circumstances.

Any dog which is not a working dog can be regarded as worrying livestock merely by being off lead or not under close control in a field or enclosure where there are sheep. A landowner could shoot such a dog, if it can be proved that the action was necessary to protect livestock and that it was reported to the police within 48 hours. The dog's owner can then be subject to all the above penalties too - except being shot, of course. So be careful!

On a right of way your dog does not have to be on a lead but it does have to be 'under close control'. This phrase is not defined but pretty much means that if you are in a field with animals or poultry and your dog will not always come, straight away, when called even when he's chasing things, and then stay there, he could be at risk of being seen to worry animals. So if there is any chance he might go off then the lead is the best option until you are out of the field with livestock in it.
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 03:59 PM
I remember someone posted on here before about her friend's pup who stuck his head through a hedge and was shot because there were sheep in the field and the farmer was a sadistic tit. After reading that it's not something I'd risk even with a dog who had perfect recall and ignored livestock, it's just not worth it!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 04:02 PM
After reading that it's not something I'd risk even with a dog who had perfect recall and ignored livestock, it's just not worth it!
How awful! the problem is (and I am not referring to your story, Reisu) the farmer doesn't KNOW that a dog has a good recall - he/she just sees a dog off lead in their field with their livestock.
ALexa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Thanks

Wont change what im doing in any way as they are already on lead. I have 2 that really really arn't bothered at all by sheep and would comply with all of the above.....but I worry about rash farmers and shotguns.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 04:04 PM
Personally I think the OP is just trying to wind people up on here. Methinks he needs a hobby.
ALexa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
How awful! the problem is (and I am not referring to your story, Reisu) the farmer doesn't KNOW that a dog has a good recall - he/she just sees a dog off lead in their field with their livestock.

I know it isn't always black and white - which is why I am cautious - but it does say
A landowner could shoot such a dog, if it can be proved that the action was necessary to protect livestock and that it was reported to the police within 48 hours. The dog's owner can then be subject to all the above penalties too - except being shot, of course. So be careful!
I have unfortunately heard of cases where dog is shot and you only have the farmers word against the owners.

Im also wandering whether ive taken this off topic....sorry . Although not sure what topic the OP intended us to discuss, i think it was the way he handled the dog when presented with a new situation.
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »