Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2009, 05:05 PM

Dilemma is killing me. HELP!!!!

i'm really torn on this and need help.........

my daughters friend has 2 young kids(3 and 1yr) an elderly dog who loves the kids, no partner but works full time.

she bought a Lab puppy before xmas we tried to warn her off doing this as we knew it would be too much for her and not fair on the dog.

well now the **** has hit the fan and she cant cope

the pup is not house trained, rips the house apart, has no other training, is not walked ever, knocks the kids over and harrases the elderly dog.

well, i told you so, my head screams

she has asked if we would take him on. NOW!

my heart says yes, but my head says no.

the first, i've had dogs like this before so not an issue for me BUT the second......do i want to upset the apple cart? my two love other dogs even in their own home but having a hooligan rampaging all over them might just prove too much( i could be wrong, they might love it!)

HELP PLEASE!!!!!!
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2009, 05:12 PM
Thats a tough one, do you know what will happen to the dog if you say no?

Could you not just offer to help them find a new home?

You really do have to think of your own situation too, if you really think it will be too much for your dogs then you have to say no.

On the other hand its doing the dog no favours being there

Sorry that was no help whatsoever.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

15-04-2009, 05:13 PM
A possible compromise...

You should be able to secure rehoming assistance from a rescue while you foster the dog.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2009, 05:15 PM
It must be so frustrating for you to have a friend ignore your advice and then this happen. Poor pup Heavens, some people need a shake

That aside, you must do what is right for you - if you know in your head it is the wrong thing to take this pup on then you must say no. If you let your heart rule your head you may come to regret it. Especially as you have your doubts about whether your own dogs (who are very settled) might be upset by the newcomer.

This pup will take a lot of time, training and effort by the sounds of him (and not his fault at all bless his heart).

It must be a heart-breaking decision, but the dog is only a youngster and I am sure there will be plenty of other people who would love to give him a home, who have the time to devote to him?

Why does your friend need to rehome so urgently? Is it just because she feels she cannot cope? Surely she could wait a wee while while she finds an alternative home, TBH it is the least she can do as it was her responsibility that she took him on, despite being advised not to!!

Can she not advertise in a local paper/veterinary practice/pet shop window?
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2009, 05:16 PM
Blimey, that is a tricky one.

Is it likely that she would ever ask for the dog back i.e if you did all the hard work of training it?? If so i'd be reluctant as you'd get attached to the dog and then it could get complicated and awkward.

Alternatively is there anyway you could help her out with the walking or something?

If you feel like this pup would settle into your home, lifestyle and routine and you could give it a better life then it might be the right way to go.

Maybe you could offer to have it on a trial basis and then if it doesn't work out offer to help her re-home the pup.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do and keep us posted.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2009, 05:16 PM
What about getting in touch with breed rescue,then approach the owner with some info on what help they would be able to offer her....
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2009, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
A possible compromise...

You should be able to secure rehoming assistance from a rescue while you foster the dog.
this is an option i was considering BUT knowing me he'll be staying if all goes well.

i'm not one who'll give up on a problem whatever it is

BUt, having said that my two might be the deciding vote.

could i ask for help but keep him until he's ready for a new home?
especially with his lack of training.
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2009, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by hectorsmum View Post
this is an option i was considering BUT knowing me he'll be staying if all goes well.

i'm not one who'll give up on a problem whatever it is

BUt, having said that my two might be the deciding vote.

could i ask for help but keep him until he's ready for a new home?
especially with his lack of training.
I approached the Shar pei rescue when i was re-homing Ruby, they were more than happy for her to stay here until a home was found, in fact they prefered it that way and was much less unsettling for the dog. Maybe give them a call, no harm in making enquires.
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Just thought, did she get the pup from a breeder? Could you not contact them? They may be happy to take him back.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
Blimey, that is a tricky one.

Is it likely that she would ever ask for the dog back i.e if you did all the hard work of training it?? If so i'd be reluctant as you'd get attached to the dog and then it could get complicated and awkward.

Alternatively is there anyway you could help her out with the walking or something?

If you feel like this pup would settle into your home, lifestyle and routine and you could give it a better life then it might be the right way to go.

Maybe you could offer to have it on a trial basis and then if it doesn't work out offer to help her re-home the pup.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do and keep us posted.
She lives 80 miles away so wouldnt have any physical contact with the pup.

when she took the pup to the vets for his jabs she told the vet he wouldnt be walked that often, the vet went mad but she still took no notice of their advise either

she wants him out as he's caused alot of damage as he's bored and has an awful amount of energy. the kids are getting scared of him because he's knocking them over.

i'm so mad about this situation as it needn't have happened but now it has i just want whats best for both.

my heart is winning atm.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >