Our sister sites
Our sister sites
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2011, 02:53 PM

Hip Dysplasia

Hey Guys,

Just a quick question. Im worried about my puppy Stella. I queried the vet about a month and a half ago about her hopping when she walk/runs. He examined her and said there was no pain and she is flexable when he moved her. Since then ive asked another vet about this. She said the same.

Thing is tho when she sort of walks fast this is when the hop appears. She doesnt really bend her back legs much at all and she always looks stiff. Now ive noticed after exercise she is quite sore in her rear end. If you touch her legs she cries extremly loud. She finds it hard to get up from a lying down position as well.

I did take her off puppy food at around 6mths of age. Could this be lack of calcium? Im very sure its HD but the vets keep trying to reassure me that its not that and that she will find her own way to walk. If she wants to hop when trotting then thats her way.

Im taking her back to the vets next week. Ill be making an appointment 2moz. Theres just something not right about the way she goes on after exercise. I really hope i aint brought this on since stopping hte puppy food.

Pepsi's mam and dad were hip scored but Stella's wernt. I didnt think it woudl be much of a prob as Stella's mam is Pepsi's sister.

Anyone got any advice for me. Im quite concerned
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2011, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by valandra View Post
Hey Guys,

Just a quick question. Im worried about my puppy Stella. I queried the vet about a month and a half ago about her hopping when she walk/runs. He examined her and said there was no pain and she is flexable when he moved her. Since then ive asked another vet about this. She said the same.

Thing is tho when she sort of walks fast this is when the hop appears. She doesnt really bend her back legs much at all and she always looks stiff. Now ive noticed after exercise she is quite sore in her rear end. If you touch her legs she cries extremly loud. She finds it hard to get up from a lying down position as well.

I did take her off puppy food at around 6mths of age. Could this be lack of calcium? Im very sure its HD but the vets keep trying to reassure me that its not that and that she will find her own way to walk. If she wants to hop when trotting then thats her way.

Im taking her back to the vets next week. Ill be making an appointment 2moz. Theres just something not right about the way she goes on after exercise. I really hope i aint brought this on since stopping hte puppy food.

Pepsi's mam and dad were hip scored but Stella's wernt. I didnt think it woudl be much of a prob as Stella's mam is Pepsi's sister.

Anyone got any advice for me. Im quite concerned
Forget about the puppy food that will have had no influence.

Why wonder, get the vet to x ray the hips as if you want a hip score (you do not have to send the plates off to be scored but the cost is only a little extra).

If there is no issue there then I would push for an MRI scan on the spine to see if there is any spondylitis/spondylosis.

People focus on the hips but often it is the spine and there is often a lot you can do for dogs once the actual problem has been correctly identified.

Take the guesswork out of it.
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2011, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Forget about the puppy food that will have had no influence.

Why wonder, get the vet to x ray the hips as if you want a hip score (you do not have to send the plates off to be scored but the cost is only a little extra).

If there is no issue there then I would push for an MRI scan on the spine to see if there is any spondylitis/spondylosis.

People focus on the hips but often it is the spine and there is often a lot you can do for dogs once the actual problem has been correctly identified.

Take the guesswork out of it.
Is spondylitis/spondylosis bad? ive never heard of that before. See she has been out for a walk 3 times today and she seems fine. I noticed that yday a dog kept jumping on her back. Its quite a lot heavier than her as well. So she was telling him off quite a lot. Fingers crossed i get my appointment quickly.

Cheers
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-06-2011, 07:29 PM
If you can afford xrays, have them xray the spine at the same time. MRI is better if you can afford it .
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2011, 07:45 PM
I would definately go back to the vets and have x-rays done. Your insurance should be able to cover them (assuming she is insured). I am pretty sure you cannot diagnose HD purely by manipulating the joints, as the severity and pain tolerance of the dog will obviously depend on the individual.
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2011, 07:53 PM
Thing is im unemployed atm and dont have insurance. I would go to the PDSA but im not sure if they would offer these solutions. Has anyone had experiance like this with the PDSA
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-06-2011, 08:40 PM
Go and talk with your local vets and see who may operate a PDSA scheme. You can check which practices do by going on to the PDSA website I think.

Meantime I would rest your dog, not too much boistrous play with other dogs and no overly long regular walks. Keep them short and sweet.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Are you registered with the PDSA? ring them tomorrow and ask.
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2011, 10:41 AM
Well i rang them today and they are going to see her again on Thursday. So im gonna walk her a little bit less. Not let her play with big dogs that jump all over her. Lets hope that all goes well on Thursday.

Cheers for your replys
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-06-2011, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by valandra View Post
Is spondylitis/spondylosis bad? ive never heard of that before. See she has been out for a walk 3 times today and she seems fine. I noticed that yday a dog kept jumping on her back. Its quite a lot heavier than her as well. So she was telling him off quite a lot. Fingers crossed i get my appointment quickly.

Cheers
it will depend on the degree, but most dogs seem to cope well with either OR.

Bandit was diagnosed a 5 with spondylosis, and lived till 11, with care , joint supplements and correct exersice (swimming is good) it can be controlled.

Millie was diagnosed last year, and for the most part is OK, but on occassion she will have the odd bad day,

http://www.ankylosisspondylitis.net/...ylosis-in-dogs

http://www.allsands.com/pets/dogs/wh...dyl_alu_gn.htm
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >