View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
*TQ*
New Member!
Male 

14-02-2011, 11:47 AM
Well it looks like we may have finally found him!!!

We went to Evesham Dogs Trust on Saturday (via Blue Cross at Bromsgrove). There was nothing which took our fancy at Blue Cross but we managed to get to Evesham for spot on 12 o'clock so we didn't suffer any more frustration from people reserving the dogs we want before we get there.

Having a look round two dogs caught our eye one of which had no information with him not even and name and the second which only had a name.

Upon enquiring about the dogs we were told the first was called Ben and had only arrived 10 minutes ago although he was being returned after a failed rehoming so they had information on him, the second was called Sooty and other than breed and age they hadn't assessed him yet.

To cut a long story short we settled on Sooty. He is a ten month old lab x bassett hound. He may not be the "perfect dog" we were looking for and I'm sure he's going to be a handful but we're very motivated and more than keen to put in the work with training and exercise etc...

We've arranged with family to make sure he can be checked on during the day and if he's struggling to cope on his own my partners father works from home and has agreed, if needs be, he can have him for a couple of hours a day.

We're both over the moon and can't wait to get him home. The final hurdle is his assessment which will be happening today or tomorrow. Providing that doesn't uncover anything which could make him unsuitable we'll be able to bring him home in a week or two and we both can't wait!

I'd like to thank everyone for their help and support over the time we've been searching and am looking forward to being a member on here now I am (almost) a dog owner.

As soon as we've got him you'll be able to see photos and I'm sure as time goes on I'll have various questions etc...

Thanks again,

Tom
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 12:16 PM
That's great news. I hope it all works out for your family & Sooty.

One of the benefits of the Dogs Trust is that you get a lifetime of behavioural advice with any dog you rehome & I happen to know that the Training & Behaviour Adviser at Evesham has done more or less the same canine behaviour course that I've done ~ so hopefully you should get lots of positive advice

Looking forward to hearing how Sooty settles in ~ & as you've appreciated, a 10 month old lab/bassett x could well an exuberant handful ~ & just as he reaches adolescence too!!

In the meantime, you could ask around about training classes in your area? It's a good idea to ask if you can just watch a class before you take your own dog as this will give you some idea of the training techniques they use & to chat to other owners to see if they are happy with the classes?
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 12:25 PM
Just seen the thread! Really glad you have gone down the rescue route!

I hope everthing works out well with Sooty!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 01:54 PM
Just caught this thread. So pleased you have found a dog to suit you, and the advice about finding a good local training class is a great one.

Looking forward to hearing how Sooty settles in and seeing some photos Welcome to the wonderful world of dog ownership
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 02:15 PM
How exciting! Looking forward to seeing some pictures!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
-- there is a reason they are the most popular breed in the country.
....but for the right owner, and I don't think the OP IS the right owner......
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 03:28 PM
So glad you have found your new dog and a rescue as well - great. Hope all goes well with the checks and he is home with you soon. Best get those wellies out as I know you are ready to give him lots of exercise.
Look forward to seeing pics and what he has chewed:
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 03:29 PM
Oh, that is great news! Fingers crossed the assessment goes well, let us know
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 04:26 PM
Congrats on your (soon to be) new arrival!
HiHoSilver
Dogsey Senior
Male 

14-02-2011, 05:15 PM
Sooty was the one that was waiting for you to come along.That's probably why there were so many near misses!
Note to the lab fans.
We took in a 5 yr old lab last year (male,neutered at 12mnths)who was having issues with children.He is still reactive to kids that zoom up on him suddenly and is put away when there's little ones around.Otherwise he's placid,non destructive and prefers to potter rather than gallop.But noisy?Oh my word.I've been thinking of saving myself the effort and making a tape set to go off every 5 minutes of the 'SHUT UP LASER' yell...Silly sod thinks he's a watchdog.Just as well we haven't got near neighbours.
Page 6 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 >