Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by *TQ* View Post
Well on Saturday we went over to the Dog's Trust Roden site and were really impressed.

Originally my other half wasn't going to come to the centre because she thought she'd get upset seeing all the dogs etc... but we both really enjoyed it. All the dogs where happy and clean and the centre was very good.

We didn't see an awful lot that took our fancy. There seemed to be an abundance of staffies to be honest.

We did see a lovely 6 month old cross breed (buddy) who was perfect. We talked to the staff and explained the situation and they seemed to think he's be fine on his own for the time we'd be out. The only problem was someone else had already reserved him! They hadn't had time to put a note on his enclosure but we put down a second reservation anyway so if the first people don't pass the approval they'll be giving us a call.

Next weekend we've got a couple more centres to go to, there's another near Shrewsbury and one closer to Telford. If we have time I might try and get out to either the Dogs Trust Evesham or Blue Cross in Bromsgrove (or both!).

I'll make sure I keep you all up to date. At the moment we're keeping a pretty open mind and hoping to find a dog at a centre that we just "click" with.
I love how you are seeing rescues first - don't be put off by Staffies though - loads are lovely - just rubbish first owners (or those who gave them up for a valid reason).
I'm so excited for you, may I suggest and it may be way out of your way, but there is a rescue near my Mum's that is having problems and is facing closure by the end of the month, but they have a full house of dogs. It's called Thornberry animal Sanctuary and it's in Sheffield - S Yorkshire - I know it's far to go but you never know you could also find your perfect dog there. If you google the name it should show you some of the long stayers on their website

Well done to your OH too - I love going to the rescues and taking them out for walks. And playing with the kittens and cats too
hopkinss12
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-01-2011, 08:42 PM
Just a note to TQ's other half.
You should never get upset going to a rescue centre.

I used to do some volunteer work at my local RSPCA and some people asked how I kept my emotions in check. Yes we did see some heartbreaking cases, but the way I looked at is was: the dogs in rescue are the lucky ones. They will be given a second chance for a loving home. Many are kept in cruel conditions, that will never get that chance.

Good luck in your search.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 11:23 AM
I'm delighted to hear you are looking for your ideal rescue dog. Reputable rescues such as DT will help you find the best dog to fit in with your lifestyle.

I would advise on not getting caught up on which breed, you could miss the ideal dog for you if you limit yourself to certain breed/types.

Instead think of what size (generally bigger dogs need more exercise, though not always the case, cost more to feed etc, size of your house), how much grooming you are prepared to do (short coat, thick wooly coats, coats that need regular trimming at groomers etc) and what types of activites you'd like to do with the dog (cycling, hiking at weekends, agility, gentle strolls around the park). These factors will influence the dog of your choice.

I'd recommend getting a dog from 1yr up, maybe even 18 months up.

Best of luck on your quest.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 12:28 PM
Glad you enjoyed your visit to the rescue centre What was it about the staffies you didn't like? Many of them could have been ideal for you
Sorry he was already reserved Good luck with the rest of your search and hope you find the dog for you
*TQ*
New Member!
Male 

12-01-2011, 03:39 PM
Unfortunately the staffie thing is my hang up. I just don't like the breed, couldn't explain why just not a big fan.

We're really looking forward to this Saturday when we go to a couple more centres. We're not in a huge rush as I wanted to wait until it was getting lighter at night before getting the dog but now we've seen some we're both getting very excited!!
*TQ*
New Member!
Male 

24-01-2011, 01:25 PM
Just thought I'd give you all a quick update on the search for our dog.

We've now spent the last three weekends visiting centres and it's starting to become a little frustrating. We have found a dog we both love and decided they were the one twice now only to find they had already been re-homed.

We also fell in love with a young collie only to come home and do some research to discover they're probably not the best first dogs and that we wouldn't be able to give him the physical and mental stimulation he needs.

We're sticking with it and this weekend we're going to go over to Dogs Trust Kenilworth where we're hoping to find him.

I've also been checking various websites daily although if anyone has any recommendations they'd be appreciated.

I'll make sure I keep updating this thread and hopefully it won't be long until I can post pictures of the new arrival.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 01:28 PM
You'll find one soon - at least you're not rushing into things like many people do.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by *TQ* View Post
Just thought I'd give you all a quick update on the search for our dog.

We've now spent the last three weekends visiting centres and it's starting to become a little frustrating. We have found a dog we both love and decided they were the one twice now only to find they had already been re-homed.

We also fell in love with a young collie only to come home and do some research to discover they're probably not the best first dogs and that we wouldn't be able to give him the physical and mental stimulation he needs.

We're sticking with it and this weekend we're going to go over to Dogs Trust Kenilworth where we're hoping to find him.

I've also been checking various websites daily although if anyone has any recommendations they'd be appreciated.

I'll make sure I keep updating this thread and hopefully it won't be long until I can post pictures of the new arrival.

I had the same thing - so I really empathise. It's so frustrating. But honestly, you will find 'your' dog, even if it takes longer than you want.

I was starting to get really upset just before I found Dexter; I'd already waited eight months and even though I was checking umpteen sites on a daily basis, I always seemed to just miss out on the dogs I thought might be a good fit for us.

I started to think I'd never find 'my' dog. One tip I can give you: do stay in regular contact with as many rescues as possible. Then they will come to you as soon as new dogs come in that they think you might be able to help.

Don't overlook much smaller rescues and rescue groups too - that's how I found Dexter.

The sites I used to check on a daily basis were:
Dogs Trust
Dogs Blog - lists all the dogs needing new homes, updated all the time
RSPCA
NAWT
Blue Cross
All Dogs Matter (London based)
Battersea

Don't know if that helps but I can tell you that I think you're fab for recognising that the collie was not right for you - you deserve a wonderful dog and I'm sure you'll find one

Keep us posted!
Greyhoundlover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-01-2011, 03:14 PM
I wish you the best of luck finding a dog to join your family.

To echo a number of people on here, Greys and lurchers can make wonderful pets, and are low maintenance, and don't require huge amounts of exercise. They are also affectionate and extremely loyal. (I'm biased I know )

Another place to try which is very near to you, is Shropshire and borders greyhound rescue, which also homes other breeds of rescue dog as well, including collie's, labs and mabny cross breeds. They have dogs in ranging from the very young, through to elderly, and all dogs are well assessed.

Keep us all posted
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 03:27 PM
Greyhounds do indeed make lovely pets. Contrary to poular belief they don't need a lot of exercise. There are ex-racers, those that haven't raced too. They are content with 2 20 min walks a day but can be built up to longer distances over time. They tend not to chew too much but as someone said the pups can be a handful! They're good with people and kids and some can live quite happily with cats although you need to check this out with a rescue beforehand.
They can suffer from separation anxiety so if you do get one, start as you mean to go on ie) don't spend all of your time with them all day!
They like to have a run if they can but if they're off-lead then make sure it's in a secure area and muzzle them as lots, especially ex-racers, like to chase small furry animals such as cats and small dogs. That said I know several grey owners who can never let theirs off lead and they are very content.
You also need a high fenced garden as they can jump although a lot don't realise that! Guinness certainly doesn't!
Good luck to you in finding a dog. I too think that a young lab may not be the best first dog..they chew like hell!!
Page 5 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >