Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
*TQ*
New Member!
Male 

07-01-2011, 01:33 PM

New Dog Owner Advice

First of all I'd like to introduce myself as I'm new here.

My name is Tom and I live in Shropshire, UK with my fiancé. We're both in our early twenties and about to enter into the world of dog ownership.

My partner had a dog when she was growing up but I have never owned anything bigger than a guinea pig.

We decided in the middle of last year we both wanted a dog but we would wait and research etc... until the start of this year before we went ahead and did anything.

We're now actively looking to get a dog but after some final research we realised there is no way we could have the puppy we wanted as we both work and wouldn't have the time to give it the care it deserved and needed in its early life. Because of this we've decided to get an older dog who will be more comfortable spending some time on their own.

My big dilemma now is how old a dog to look for. We would both prefer to go for the youngest dog which is practical but the dog will be left on it's own for 4 hours each day. How old do people think a dog needs to be before it would be ok with this?

When we get the dog we're planning on taking at least two weeks off work to get to know the dog and to gradually get him used to being alone.

The dog will have sole use of the utility room and a small area of the garden by use of a dog flap.

We've also been looking at various toys/techniques to stop our dog from being too bored when he's on his own. So far we've got the obvious idea of leaving the TV or radio on and a toy which the dog can play with which will release a treat/piece of feed every now and again. Does anyone have any other ideas on this front?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice received.

TQ
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 01:49 PM
I have recently fallen in love with Greyhounds - so will tell you there good and bad points.

Good:
- they only really need 2 x 30 minutes walks a day and a run twice a week in an enclosed space
- coach potatoes
- love cuddles
- good with most animals (ex - racers have to be watched with small furries and little dogs)
- They make good family dogs
- Often ex-racers are 2-3 years old - so away from the puppy stage but still young.

I can't think of anymore other than they are gorgeous - so check some out in the rescue section

The bad:
- Greyhound puppies aren't good puppies (or so I've heard)
- You need a fully enclosed garden
- You cannot let them off lead - well most cannot be but some have proven good enough to let off.
- Small furries have to be watched carefully - otherwise you'll have a greyhound going nom nom nom
- Ex-racers can suffer Separation anxiety and have hardly ever been left in a house environment - but can be crate trained and taught.

Someone more experienced in the breed can tell you more if you are interested. Insomnia, Tomthelurcher and Zoe - to name a few.

But overall - they have been sold to me and I own a Border collie x JRT, GSD x and a Lab x Springer - so I need a gentle, easy going dog to keep my sanity

Good luck with your search
*TQ*
New Member!
Male 

07-01-2011, 02:04 PM
I've mostly been looking at spaniels and labradors (or either crosses). Do people think they would make a good first dog?

I'm planning on giving the dog a 20-30 minute walk in the morning and 30-40 minute at night with a couple of good runs out at the weekend.

I've been looking at a six month old labrador, is this too young to be left alone? I'm most worried about causing the dog distress rather than whether it's going to be destructive etc...
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 02:08 PM
Hmmmm, I think labs are reknowned chewers aren't they? Then again I had a spaniel puppy who ate half my house! Regarding the leaving them home alone, it really is a suck it and see at that age, the dog could be fine, but then again, it could have separation anxiety, or chew the place to bits, you just don't know in advance quite honestly, UNLESS, you do your homework and choose a dog which doesn't chew, doesn't mind being left home alone, but then you've got your work cut out!

The exercise regime sounds good but who can say on the leaving it home alone? good luck though.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by *TQ* View Post
I've mostly been looking at spaniels and labradors (or either crosses). Do people think they would make a good first dog?

I'm planning on giving the dog a 20-30 minute walk in the morning and 30-40 minute at night with a couple of good runs out at the weekend.

I've been looking at a six month old labrador, is this too young to be left alone? I'm most worried about causing the dog distress rather than whether it's going to be destructive etc...
Labradors are one of the worst breeds for destroying houses! You will most likely be better with something like a retired Greyhound, thats used to being in a kennel, so wont be worried about a few hours by itself.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by *TQ* View Post
The dog will have sole use of the utility room and a small area of the garden by use of a dog flap.
Just wanted to quickly comment on this - I would definately consider this plan carefully. Dog theft is on the rise and many people are stealing dogs to sell "on demand" (e.g. potential buyer comes along and asks for a young chocolate lab, seller/thief goes out and steals young chocolate lab to sell on) or also for ransom. I would want to be 110% sure that the garden was absolutely totally secure - as in, I would feel comfortable leaving a brand new laptop/camera/TV in there and feel confident it wouldn't get stolen, before I would risk my dogs being left there.
A dog is going to be able to hold its bladder for 4 hours and will most likely sleep the majority of that time so you're probably better off leaving it safely locked indoors.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 02:18 PM
I would not recommend Lab x ESS as a good first dog or any of the crosses I have - the only reason why I have Louie (Lab x) so well trained is that I have been working tirelessly since he was 8 weeks old and being unemployed it's been easier for me to do so.

With Louie being from working stock - he has a high working drive so it's been difficult. I know Rolo's mum has had Rolo from a pup and he was her first dog (ESS) but I do believe she is at home most of the time so can spend as much time with him as possible. Don't get em wrong labs and ESS's are great dogs but chewers and Louie is a bit of an escape artist, not saying they are all like that though.

A Cocker spaniel may be a better choice in spaniels for your first but you will have to ask some of the Cocker owners, Tarimoor and Fudgeley have Cockers - although I believe Tarimoor's is a worker and Fudgeley has only just had Buttons for a week or so...

Perhaps a CKCS (King charles spaniel) they are small, loyal and love people - no guard dog though. Pligrim and I believe Rubylover would be able to tell you more.

I would stay clear of terriers though, especially as you have no experience - what breed did you're fiancé have?

Good luck - but I would do some more research into other breeds - all of them if possible.
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 02:20 PM
Hi and welcome to dogsey.

I personally would move away from the labrador idea as they can be aweful chewers and what with being left in the house on its own during the day, you could come back to half a sofa!

Have you thought of any other breeds that may suit your situation better?

I have Border Collies, which are said to be quite excitable and perhaps not the best choice for a first time dog owner, but my 2 boys are excellent in the house, we can leave them for up to 6 hours [this is the longest we have tried] and they are absolutly fine.

We have kongs that we put food in to keep them entertained when we are out of the house.

PS I used to live in Shropshire up until 6months ago when I moved in with my BF. What part of Shropshire are you from?
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 02:22 PM
If you want a Labrador,I'd urge you to get an older one - I speak from experience...

I adopted a 12 month old Lab from a local rescue - I adore him and he's gorgeous but boy, are Labs hard work! They have an enormous amount of energy and as he grows this Lab you're looking at will need SO MUCH exercise. I don't think that what you describe would be enough, frankly...

If you want to get a Lab, there are sooo many waiting in various rescue groups - look at the ones that are 3 yrs or older.

You might also want to reconsider giving the dog access to the garden. Four hours is fine for an adult dog to remain alone - honestly. He'll probably just sleep

I would never give any dog free access to the garden *unless* I was there to supervise. Never.

If you'd like some names of breed rescues for Labs, send me a message
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 02:27 PM
Just to add and echo what's been said: dog theft is a massive worry, especially if you have a 'purebred', i.e. a Lab.

There is also the issue that there are other dangers for an unsupervised dog in a garden.

If you are really set on a Lab, I would really urge you to look for an older one - I originally intended to get one that was four or over.

There are also lots of older Golden Retrievers longing for a nice, new, caring home
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »