View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wildfire
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-01-2009, 08:44 PM
Hi lucky star, missed quite a few weeks, so trying to catch up, did Cesar actually kick the dog? or nudge it with his toe? Like you I have large dogs(reknown for not moving out of the way) on occasion I have nudged them on their very well padded bums,! its knowing the difference between a nudge and a well aimed kick I think, what about you?
Gill
wildfire
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-01-2009, 08:57 PM
Hi Sarah,training the dogs to confront their fears, is exactly how we learn to overcome them,ourselves so it makes perfect sense unless a dog has had a very bad experience with other dogs, it can become a learnt response, I have a Ute who came to me frightened of other dogs and men in particular, had her now for 5mths and she is almost how I
want her to be, my other 2dogs have helped as well, but we have almost turned the corner, its just a question of trusting the owner and time..
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2009, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by wildfire View Post
Hi lucky star, missed quite a few weeks, so trying to catch up, did Cesar actually kick the dog? or nudge it with his toe? Like you I have large dogs(reknown for not moving out of the way) on occasion I have nudged them on their very well padded bums,! its knowing the difference between a nudge and a well aimed kick I think, what about you?
Gill
Hi Gill

No, I think he gave the dog a back-kick in an already strained situation. An owner that has the trust of his dog may manage to get away with this but I was amazed to see a trainer/behaviourist do this - it was inflammatory and would cause more anxiety and excitement in a situation that needed a different approach, regardless of whether the dog's bum is well-padded or not .
wildfire
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-01-2009, 09:11 PM
have you also watched 'Dog Borstal'? the dogs on that programme are yanked around, as they are on'At the End of my Leash' so CM is not the only dog trainer using what may appear forceful means. The results are extremely quick
however, but no doubt should not be applied to the toy range of dogs, big dogs have big teeth, and can, and do, inflict some serious damage! owners who choose to have very large dogs, really need to be aware that problems with these need handling pqd! and would benefit from some sound research on their chosen breed.Before getting the dog. Wildfire
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2009, 10:42 PM
lucky star, good point well put

re my last point didnt sound as good as i ment it too
not getting at any individual just on any forum where this man comes up people always talk about leaving the forum cos people are rude
noone has to leave anywhere, if you feel that strongly you can ignore

but why is it that when cm methods are questioned people jump to the defense and take it as a personal attack, then in later posts go on to admit that they dont even use the method mentiond, so how can it be personal.
also in defense of cm talk about how people treat dogs as kids, let them walk all over them or dont exercise them, as if cm is the only way to avoid these things, therefore suggesting that if you dont follow cm training then your dog is in charge
i dont take that personal cos i know its wrong, so why do you all?

interesting that of all the people on here who say they use cm methods only one person made any attempt to actualy explain to me (and the many undecided lurkers) the actual training that was going on in the clip, the timing, why other things were ignored, what was going on with the dog at these points and what it learned
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-01-2009, 12:59 AM
I have just watched the video Skilaki posted again on a full screen. The dog starts off looking quite calm and ignoring the collie and CM, at 3:12mins into the video CM performs a back kick catching the dog under the tail with his foot and at the same time tightens the lead like a noose and this is when the dog first reacts and rears up in an attempt to free itself from the noose and to get its breath. CM continues to hold the lead high up and tight around the throat and the dog probably short of oxygen eventualy submits and lays down.
Notice how the dogs flanks rise and fall, another sign of shortage of breath. The dog lips its licks and closes its eyes , this could be a sign of the 'freeze response' , flight and fight are not possible in these circumstances .
I really can't see what this treatment could have achieved , all it has done is to force a dog to submit to one person.

Originally Posted by Steve Dale
"I have serious concerns because his methods are often intimidating rather than motivating. On TV, the dogs do comply but often they're being forced to - you can tell by their body language: tail down, mouth closed, ears back, eyes dilated... I argue that motivating leadership is far more effective than leading through intimidation
..very similar to the video
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2009, 12:07 AM
have to be fair and say tonight i saw a bit of an episode i liked, glad to see cm can learn and move his methods forwards a bit
dosent forgive the things i have said, but at least some sensible training on the tv
dog had been in car crash and had badly injured front leg
was pulling on harness and hurting her other leg
cm, no punisment, no psst no foot or hand contact, although he said it was all just the energy he was actualy alowing the dog to use her brain. dog pulled and owner just stopped and didnt move till the lead was slack, thankfully none of that horrible jerking dog borstal used just calmly let the dog figure that pulling gets you nowhere
more of that thats calm assertive
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2009, 08:49 AM
I haven't watched a complete show for ages because they are just repeats on sky. But the programme last night was billed as a 2 year follow up in the Radio Times. So it seems he does follow the dogs over a period of time after all.

The coonhound rescued from the laboratory was on. After rescuing this dog and caring for it for several years the owners could not develop a bond with it and Cesar helped them do that. This is not alpha rolling etc so it does show he treats different cases in different ways.

I think what Cesar does do is to say to the owner don't blame the dog for acting in the way that it does. It is up to you to take responsibility for what your dog does and you can change the way your dog acts. I think this is very important for all dogs and more so for those that are a moment away from the pound or euthanasia. If it makes one owner stop and reflect that their actions are the cause of their dogs behaviour then it will have been worthwhile.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-01-2009, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
I think what Cesar does do is to say to the owner don't blame the dog for acting in the way that it does. It is up to you to take responsibility for what your dog does and you can change the way your dog acts. I think this is very important for all dogs and more so for those that are a moment away from the pound or euthanasia. If it makes one owner stop and reflect that their actions are the cause of their dogs behaviour then it will have been worthwhile.
Hi Talassie I appreciate what you are saying and yes I agree it is very important that people take into account the points you have highlighted in your post.
However there are ways of doing this without the risk of causing other behavioural problems in dogs .

No one has explined the reason why CM kicked the dog in the video Skilake posted, the dog was calm at the time and none confrontational. If you study the video carefully it appears the kick is administered as the lead is tightened on the dogs throat and it is done with the intention of getting the dog worked up.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2009, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
No one has explined the reason why CM kicked the dog in the video Skilake posted, the dog was calm at the time and none confrontational. If you study the video carefully it appears the kick is administered as the lead is tightened on the dogs throat and it is done with the intention of getting the dog worked up.
I would not want to condone all that he does but neither would I want to say that he has nothing to offer in the way of training dogs.
Page 37 of 40 « First < 27 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 >