View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2007, 06:57 PM

advice needed on very nervous bitch (parson)

hi all i have a parson russell bitch nearly 1yr we are having problems as she is the sweetets dog in the house loves tobe with you loves cuddles,

but when out on her lead walking and she sees any one she barks all time if they are close to us andwalking past she will back up and growl, i am getting the feeling se is scared and not sure how to deal with it.

she loves going for walks as when she sees her lead she is there waiting.

what can we do, please help

sam
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2007, 11:36 PM
im not sure what to to,is she just protective of you?shes sounds lovely,hope someone can help you with her,and maybe you can get peacefull walks,xxx
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2007, 11:52 PM
How do you react, when she does this ??? Dogs can feel tension down the lead and if you are now programmed to worry when people approach, she will know you are worried. Leave her lead a little loose, but short enough so that if she moves, you can correct her. When people approach her, make her sit and wait.

Your own behaviour can determine how she reacts to certain events in the future. THe worst thing you can do is pick her up/pet her to reassure her/ or give her any indication that, in fact what she is barking at is something to be scared of at all.

The second she barks, give her lead a quick tap just to let her know you are on the other end and a quick shush, it must be quick tho and if she stops to look at you, say good girl and treat her.

Many dogs with dominant issues behave this way as they dont believe their owners are capable of taking care of the 'pack' if you like, so they take charge instead warning off potential predators (bikes, prams, people etc)

You cannot let this continue, especially if she is barking/snapping at people. It would only take a small child to approach and try to stroke her.......................

It does sound like nervous aggression, but try the above and see what happens.

Hape that makes sense
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2007, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
How do you react, when she does this ??? Dogs can feel tension down the lead and if you are now programmed to worry when people approach, she will know you are worried. Leave her lead a little loose, but short enough so that if she moves, you can correct her. When people approach her, make her sit and wait.

Your own behaviour can determine how she reacts to certain events in the future. THe worst thing you can do is pick her up/pet her to reassure her/ or give her any indication that, in fact what she is barking at is something to be scared of at all.

The second she barks, give her lead a quick tap just to let her know you are on the other end and a quick shush, it must be quick tho and if she stops to look at you, say good girl and treat her.

Many dogs with dominant issues behave this way as they dont believe their owners are capable of taking care of the 'pack' if you like, so they take charge instead warning off potential predators (bikes, prams, people etc)

You cannot let this continue, especially if she is barking/snapping at people. It would only take a small child to approach and try to stroke her.......................

It does sound like nervous aggression, but try the above and see what happens.

Hape that makes sense
thank you for replying i do most of that now it does not worry me as i now i can walk her away, so dont think i am giving of the wrong signs i never pick her when she is doing this i cant stand people that do.

i will keep up with it and hope she will start to settle down, ieally hope so as she is so sweet here is a pic of her for you to see.

thanks again

Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2007, 08:14 AM
Hi there

If she is in any way scared, and it sounds as if she is, you can't do better than get The Cautious Canine small booklet by Patricia McConnell

There is a step by step programme to help nervous dogs and it's based on accepted principles of desensitising and counter conditioning the dog :smt001

I seem to recommend this book a lot at the moment, but it's easier than trying to explain it sometimes

http://www.canineconcepts.co.uk/item...ages--cautious

Hth a bit

Wys
x

ps very cute!
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2007, 08:17 AM
thanks wys will give that ago really want to help my little girl
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2007, 09:19 AM
Wys, i have just ordered the book as well, Thought it might help Fudge too.

Sjpurt, hopefully we will soon have some less sensitive pooches. let me know how you get on?
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2007, 04:08 PM
hi fudge i will do hun and good luck to you as well
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2007, 04:17 PM
Fingers crossed for you both

Wys
x