Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
suecoo
New Member!
Female 

01-07-2007, 10:16 AM

Going through the night (split thread)

What is the normal age for a puppy to go all night? I've got a 10 week old puppy, some nights she goes all nights others she wakes up for a poo and/or a wee. We make sure she goes out late at night and try to do the last feed around 6pm the latest. Last night she had us up at 1.30am and 4.30am!
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2007, 10:36 AM
maybe leave the radio on low in his room so he thinks your around or so he can hear something,it helps when i send pups off to there new home,
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-07-2007, 01:06 PM
on a lighter note, sing to him. perhaps "help me make it through the night".
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2007, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by nero View Post
on a lighter note, sing to him. perhaps "help me make it through the night".
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2007, 01:49 PM
Since I posted this thread we have made progress in that Rufus now sleeps through til 6am sometimes later. We got a black out blind which makes the room darker and we also took him out for a walk later in the evening to get him nice and tired. In general though I think it just takes time for pups to sleep longer and their bladders/ bowels to grow and be able to wait. You think you have problems at 10 weeks... Rufus is 1 year!!!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-07-2007, 02:01 PM
Hi Suecoo and welcome to Dogsey
At ten weeks of age your puppy is still very much a baby and most puppies don't begin to gain full control of their bodily functions before the age of four months although some puppies do sleep through the night (think how long it takes a human baby to be potty trained).

This is an article on house training puppies which may help you.

http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=8974
suecoo
New Member!
Female 

02-07-2007, 08:52 AM
Think I was spoilt by my previous dog who slept through the night from day 1! Well she went last night from midnight till 7am!! She's done this before but it doesn't seem to be consistent for some reason. She gets really sleepy from about 7/8pm onwards. I have noticed that little girls doggies seem to tiddle alot more than boys.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2007, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by suecoo View Post
Think I was spoilt by my previous dog who slept through the night from day 1! I have noticed that little girls doggies seem to tiddle alot more than boys.
It depends very much on the individual dog, the only one I've ever had a major problem with was a male & he was 14 months old before he could go through the night. In despair I'd built a hoge cat litter tray as I was getting too tired to work in the mornings. It was soaked to he really needed to go, thank goodness he grew out of it. My last bitch could go 12 hours & hold it from a tiny baby. All in all I think there's not much difference, I've even had bitches whoo insist on territory marking like a dog, though I've only ever known one who cocked a leg.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2007, 01:43 PM
I think to go all night at 10weeks is a brilliant achievement! Only one of my dogs was this clean so young, the rest took differing amounts of time to become fully house-trained.

Marius had a habit for ages of wanting out at 4.00am, then he got sly and would scratch to out at this time even if he didn't need out (just wanted company) - you have to watch with them sometimes they get crafty on you lol

I am sure a few more weeks and your little one will be able to hold it better, wait and see!
suecoo
New Member!
Female 

03-07-2007, 07:32 PM
2 nights on the run from midnight to 6.30am! although for some reason she wants to poo at mignight? even though we make sure her last meal is no later than 6pm.

Changing the subject slightly how do you insert smileys??