register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-05-2007, 12:21 PM
I think waiting till your pup is 8 months old before allowing it to run free is totally loopy. The best time to let them loose is when they are as young as possible as they will always follow you as you are their security and their food source, it is instinct, at 8 months they are beginning to get ideas way above their station and that is when you get the 'deaf' problem anyway, so why compound by making it the first time they have been allowed to run free. I have always called mine initially by their food call, ie. 'puppies....' so they learnt to come running for that, then just gradually changed it over the months so from 'puppies...' to 'puppies...come' to 'come...puppies' to 'come....Lona'
With me having two babies together this time I first of all did on lead training in the yard before they were old enough to go out, then when they first went out I let one off and kept the other one on the lead, so they kept near each other and me instinctively, then put the first one back on the lead after a few minutes and let the other one off and just kept swopping them about letting them off for longer and longer and then letting them both off together to play. It was obviously a secluded area where there was grass and bushes etc and not near a road.
As for crating them...it is another word for 'cage' in my opinion and I have never ever in all my life caged any of my animals and have no intention of doing so, whatever Ms Expert says
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2007, 12:49 PM
Lynn, I love our pups and think they need routine and love just like you. I wouldn't shout at you!!!!

I do use a crate and my dogs have loved them, but I would never advocate using one to 'discipline' it is supposed to be a safe haven not a punishment...
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2007, 12:56 PM
Well I used a crate at night for one of mine who liked to chew electric wires at night, but he didn't see it as a punishment & I had more trouble persuading him to sleep elsewhere when he was old enough than anything else. If I wanted him tosleep in it I would not want it to be a punishment zone as well. Too confusing.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2007, 01:52 PM
I use a crate at night as well, or I'd have no house left. too be honest i have one open all day and when the dogs have had enough they go in there to sleep of there own accord.
I never use it as punishment though.
Two of my dogs dont really like each other I wouldnt dare leave them unsupervised ot they's hurt each other.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4