Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2007, 07:14 PM
A hard one !

Is the breeder ethical or not and how much do you really know about his breeding practices.

Were the reports to the RSPCA justified or just made by people who saw 'something' they didn't like.

Culling was used for a long time by ethical breeders who didnt want the world full of unwanted dogs that were not of good standard or didnt already have homes to go to. Whether you agree with it or not, it had it's purposes and maybe if more breeders did this now, our world would not be full of rescue centres !! I'm not saying I agree or disagree, its just a point of view.

As for breeding every year, I know of many 'reputable' breeders that breed every year and the Kennel Club do not object. If this man was breeding his bitches on every season, then that would be a different matter, but then how would you know whether he was or wasn't ???

As for keeping pups of different ages, again, many breeders run on dogs to see if they will make good standard etc.

Until you know the facts, you could be slating a perfectly good breeder and tarnishing their reputation !!

If you know this person is mistreating his dogs or neglecting them, then you have a duty to inform the authorities with your proof, as this should not go ignored.

As for your friend, all you can do is ask them to steer clear for the moment and point them in the right direction........Breed Clubs etc

Just my opinion
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2007, 07:21 PM
tell them , as these puppies could or may not be health tested , and they could end up losing there lovely new puppy to a very serious health prob down the line . and this could be prevented isochick , ppl like that need to be stoped ,. that is mt opinion anyway
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2007, 02:56 PM
You don't have to criticise this particular breeder, but I would definitely say do point out the problems with some "breeders" & suggest they check all the relevent health checks have been done, & tell them how to get advice from a breed cjub etc.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2007, 03:00 PM
I'd tell them too - think how grateful you would be if someone helped you avoid such a 'breeder'
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2007, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
I think the others have hit the nail on the head, you must tell them, they may never forgive you if they end up with a seriously ill pup, it wil be too late once they have fallen in love with it.

I also agree that anyone that has a sign outside their house advertising pups is possibly not going to one of the breeders that do all the health checks etc., I may be wrong but wouldn't have thought a good breeder would need to advertise in that way.

The breed club idea is an excellent one.

Good luck x

i totally agree people that feel the need to advertise this way dont care were there puppies go,i would definatley tell them,yes pose it as a question and dont be to worried wouldnt you rather know,and re-report him to rspca and tell them again and get this byb stopped.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2007, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
A hard one !

Is the breeder ethical or not and how much do you really know about his breeding practices.

Were the reports to the RSPCA justified or just made by people who saw 'something' they didn't like.

Culling was used for a long time by ethical breeders who didnt want the world full of unwanted dogs that were not of good standard or didnt already have homes to go to. Whether you agree with it or not, it had it's purposes and maybe if more breeders did this now, our world would not be full of rescue centres !! I'm not saying I agree or disagree, its just a point of view.
The reports were made by someone who had gone looking for a pup and was pretty upset at the state of the puppies at the time.

I think the inference was that once his bitches couldn't have any more litters he got rid of them by either shooting them or dumping them... but I don't know how true that is.

Of course, I don't want to tarnish anyone's reputation!
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-05-2007, 05:26 PM
I'd warn them to steer clear and get in touch with the Breed Club or something like that.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2