Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 05:01 PM

Friction building between bitches

Friction is building between Ripley and sadie. Ripley is always the one that seems to start it, she is the one that growls. Ive found no consistent thing that elevates it, if sadie lays on the sofa near ripley or walks too close to ripley she begins growling. This has been going on for weeks, even months and nothing has got worse or better(until today).

Sadie generally ignores her, continues to where she wants to lay/walk. I believe because sadie never really retaliates it has never elevated. Thats how it was until today anyway, ripley did her normal growling as sadie went to lay down next to her but ripley increased her annoyance at sadie, her body froze and the growling became more intense, i think sadie had had enough so had a snap at her. She never made contact and i dont believe she meant to.

What im concerned about is the increase in this behaviour, i make it clear to ripley that her growling is not acceptable and will not be tolerated.
I dont want it to get any worse so does anyone have any advice/ideas of what could help diffuse the situation a little.

Sadie is a spayed GSD bitch and Ripley is an entire Border collie bitch.

thanks.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 05:26 PM
Difficult without seeing it

could be either dog at fault really. A grumble from a comfy dog when another comes to close could be some pain (dosent want disturbed) or fear/dislike having the other dog close

The other dog may be giving the nasty eye as she walks past

but it sounds like something is wrong

Possibly a vet check to make sure nothing is up
A good behavioursit to see how they interact

I might suggest doing some training where they get to trust being close to each other? Training stays close to each other (building up the closeness if you need to)
rewaeding them for being chilled close to each other

Mia can be a bit of a grump when she is lying down and someone gets to close
she gives a grumble and then walks off - nothing agressive - the lady just likes her space

although if Ben is lying down she will sit on him if she feels like it (and he lets her)

I just pet her and tell her how good she is when Ben is close to her and she is becoming happy with it (but I know Ben is doing his best not to stand on her - he is just a clumsy s0d - carefully moves his paws into position, then forgets how big his bum is and sits on her)
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 05:45 PM
With bitches I tend to jump on both regardless and make it quite obvious that it is unacceptable behaviour. A sharp 'what do you think you are doing' and telling both to remove themselves has worked so far for me.

I wouldn't leave them alone together without you around at the moment but I'd use dog gates or crates so they can still see each other.

Often problems occour when they are split for a while so dog gates help them think they are still together----if that makes sense?

It has to be directed at both IMO because unless it is really clear you are never 100% clear on who is saying what. The growls could be in response to a look or they could be the start.

Good luck.

rune
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the responses.

To be honest, im 99% sure it is mostly one sided. Ive watched them closely, particularly sadie, she is very relaxed in her body language and behaviour, and from what i can see she doesnt give ripley the 'eye'.

They eat next to each other, share toys and low value bones and have never had a problem when it comes to that.

I already train/play/interact with them close together.

TBH, im not sure about seperating them when i am not there(my friend did this with her bitches and it made things 10 x worse when they were together- even though they were only seperated by gates), there are so many times when they have to be left together in close proximity (such as in the back of the car at shows etc) and they cope fine with that with no problems at all. Also, thinking about it, these incidents always occur when i am nearby so im wondering whether it is something to do with my presence(i am the only adult in the household so they are all very much 'my' dogs).
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2011, 07:34 AM
Dogs tend to "up the ladder" with their warnings if the other dog (or human!) doesn't "listen" to them .

I'd be considering getting someone in to see if there is any real problem underlying this. Granted, it may be nothing, but it could also be that (for example) Ripley is in pain and is warning another dog away. Or she could be guarding her space. Or there could be some other reason not noticed. It can be hard to tell sometimes without a professional (reputable!!) eye to go over the problem.

Were they friendly previously to this? How long has it been going on for, and did you notice any triggers at all?

I would certainly see a vet first, but remember that a once over by a vet does not necessarily rule out any pain,although it can be a good help.

Wys
x
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2011, 04:55 PM
Hi, yes i certainly will get her checked by the vet, but im pretty sure she is not in pain, she doesnt care if my young male clumsy thing plonks himself down on her!!

It started about 3 months ago, no obvious trigger and has never really concerned me (though i dont find it acceptable) until this incident.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2011, 05:16 PM
Benjie does this with Louie - one neutered, one entire. No experience with Bitches, but I do what Rune does and just jump on them both - despite knowing Louie does nothing to provoke it other than lick his face which I believe is a sign of respect - sometimes Benjie will take it sometimes he won't.

If any of mine growl at the other whilst on the furniture - I send them all out and they stay out of the room for a few minutes before I allow them in.

Maybe Ripley is testing the boundaries - she's only young still isn't she...Perhaps she's trying to see how far she can push before getting a reaction out of you or Sadie?
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2011, 05:21 PM
It's hard when there's no obvious trigger.

No medication, stress, change in diet or circumstances/environment/play?

I do know of dogs that have not shown pain, but who have been "off" with one dog only of their group. Sometimes it can be something like stomach pain, which comes and goes. Is her behaviour totally consisent, or are there times when she doesn't mind Ripley coming her way?

Good luck in getting it sorted,

Wys
x
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2011, 05:28 PM
When was her last season?

Is she hormonal at all?
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2011, 05:38 PM
cant sadie get the hint & just NOT lie by her?
Alll my collies CHOOSE to lie in their own space, they would never lie right next too each other
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »