View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2010, 11:01 AM
I think you will find that the advice is due to the fact that a lot of larger dogs now have joint problems---one school of thought is that the tendency to develop these problems is carried on in some lines. So regardless of the parents hip scores it could be an inherited tendency----thus it might be sensible not to overdo the exercise on hard ground, up and down stairs, jumping etc.

Makes sense to me if you have a dog of a breed which might have that tendency.

rune
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2010, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by Delos View Post
Totally 10 or 15 minutes walking on a path with Puppy isn't going to cause joint or growth problems. Puppy's are hardy little things. There is too much paranoia and cotton wool mentality. I have known vets to advise not walking dogs off lead until they are 18 months old!

You'll probably cause more problems not walking your dog to the park (Socialization issues) than not doing it. People need to use a little common sense.
I definitely agree about the cotton wool mentality. As you say, common sense is what is needed.

No one is suggesting to stick rigidly to the 5 minute rule. I have used it for my dogs, but only loosely as a guideline. I'd never heard of the 5 minute rule when I got my current Labrador, which was 7 1/2 years ago. It just made sense to me at the time (and on the advice of his very experienced breeder) to build up the length of walks very slowly and to avoid forced exercise. When getting a breed which is prone to genetic joint problems, again, this was simply common sense; only at the time, 'common sense' didn't have a label like the '5 minute rule'. The 5 minute rule is simply putting a name on common sense, as lets face it a big majority of puppy buyers are totally ignorant about genetic health issues in dogs.

I also think the notion that a puppy should never be walked on a hard surface such as pavement is just silly. There is obviously a world of difference in taking a young puppy for long marches on lead on pavements, then there is a slow plod at the puppies' own pace to get from A to B. The latter should be no more 'damaging' to a puppy than walking on a soft surface. In fact, if done correctly and slowly, a bit of walking on hard surfaces is excellent for building muscle mass which is needed to protect joints. It is also unavoidable unless you take the puppy out in the car every time you leave the house, which I can imagine would be impractical for most people.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2010, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Id carry or try to get a lift or a taxi that accepts dogs, Failing that id walk SLOWLEY, pooching about, not walking fast.
(if you teach them early then they should get used it it)
I suppose if i was in your situation this would limit me to a breed i could carry for some of the way,& one not prone to joint & growth issues.
Having had a dog with HD its just not worth the risk or heartache

Road walking to me
is a lead walk as if you are "going somewhere" so walking at a pace that is constant. spo youve got the "pounding " on the joints.

A little lead walking on grass is not the same thing, esp if you allow for sniffs & pooching & exploring etc

To get used to cars then build up slowley, id not want a dog to get used to cars as a by product of a walk, i would do this separate

Sometimes people cant help their situations, we all should do whats best for the pups!
Getting a taxi for a 15 minute walk is next to impossible, the fare isn't worth it apparently. To be honest, my slow pace and the fact I'd prefer the pup to sniff around and explore than march to heel probably means it won't really be an issue. I know my hubby wants a GSD so HD is definitely a concern. But another concern for me is ending up with another dog like Rupert. Much as I love him I don't want another dog as scared of the world as he is. I'm kinda looking for the middle ground if you know what I mean.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I cant see as 15 mins would harm a puppy, really I cant. They never walk anywhere "properly" at 4mths, its never going to be "pounding the joints" as far as I can see. You can do much more damage with having a puppy running loose at that age in my experience.

I think you need to apply a little common sense. Taking a puppy a short walk is fine to see the traffic etc.. but you wouldnt walk a long distance to get there, likewise Id never run a pup loose for long period either.
Agree with this, must be the clone thing again lol.
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by astle9 View Post
God my dogs are screwed in the future as all 3 must have guaranteed hip dysplasia, all 3 of mine have had free walking and running since i had them, the vet did their 6 monthly check last month and commented on how fit and healthy they are compared to a lot of dogs he see nowadays, hip and joint mobility was excellent on all 3 and he stated all 3 were exceptionally fit.
All the walks contain a fair element of road walking until we get to the woods where they run freely.
When i was in the vets i did see some really grossly fat overweight dogs who hopefully were not walked a lot as pups so as they do not get any injuries in the far future.
You know i may just get lucky as i have never had a dog with hip dysplasia in all the years i have had dogs, my old boy lived until 17, his back legs did go just before he was PTS so maybe his first owners who abused him before we took him from the rescue centre walked him too much as a puppy.
I must have a word with my grandparents (graveside) and tell them that the dogs they lovingly reared from pups free running who all lived long and productive lives were put at risk by them.
I feel awful now putting my dogs in danger in the future and all i can hope is that luck is on my side.
Blimey your dogs should by rights of had £5000 worth of surgery before they were one.......
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-11-2010, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I definitely agree about the cotton wool mentality. As you say, common sense is what is needed.

No one is suggesting to stick rigidly to the 5 minute rule. I have used it for my dogs, but only loosely as a guideline. I'd never heard of the 5 minute rule when I got my current Labrador, which was 7 1/2 years ago. It just made sense to me at the time (and on the advice of his very experienced breeder) to build up the length of walks very slowly and to avoid forced exercise. When getting a breed which is prone to genetic joint problems, again, this was simply common sense; only at the time, 'common sense' didn't have a label like the '5 minute rule'. The 5 minute rule is simply putting a name on common sense, as lets face it a big majority of puppy buyers are totally ignorant about genetic health issues in dogs.

I also think the notion that a puppy should never be walked on a hard surface such as pavement is just silly. There is obviously a world of difference in taking a young puppy for long marches on lead on pavements, then there is a slow plod at the puppies' own pace to get from A to B. The latter should be no more 'damaging' to a puppy than walking on a soft surface. In fact, if done correctly and slowly, a bit of walking on hard surfaces is excellent for building muscle mass which is needed to protect joints. It is also unavoidable unless you take the puppy out in the car every time you leave the house, which I can imagine would be impractical for most people.
Good post................................lol........... ...........i see all my ''friends'' have gone quiet now a few people are disagreeing with them...oh dear oh dear....
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-11-2010, 07:36 PM
Did you try the wooden spoon yet?
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-11-2010, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by Milk maid View Post

.........................sorry got confused then ha ha and the post went wrong pc probs

not the wooden spoon just the constant treats and praise.......
Cachapman710
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-11-2010, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by Milk maid View Post
Ok so how does a wooden spoon get a dog to walk to heel?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2010, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by Cachapman710 View Post
Ok so how does a wooden spoon get a dog to walk to heel?
Please don't tempt me!

rune
Page 9 of 12 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 >