Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 09:18 AM

Keeping them warm in a crate?

As winter is approaching I was wondering whether Alfie may need some extra warmth overnight when the heating is off.... if so, how?

He has a kudos tough bed mattress thing, so that isn't exactly "cosy" but if I give him a soft bed, he makes a hole and eats the stuffing, if I give him towels/fleece he eats parts of that (then we need to go to the emergency vets ), if I put a fleece over the top he would pull it down and eat bits too!

Any idea how to keep that bit warmer overnight? Can't be very warm in Scotland over winter on just a tough style dog bed

(last year wasn't an issue as he hadn't developed his taste for fleece and beds... so had a soft bed with a fleece over the top of the crate)
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 10:53 AM
How about a Snugglesafe heatpad:

http://www.snugglesafe.co.uk/heatpad.htm

They are microwavable and very tough. They also don't contain water, so in the unlikely event the dog decided to chew through it it won't harm him.
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 11:04 AM
Ooo that looks good!

Do you know if it is safe to use without the fleece cover?

Fleece would soon be eaten!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 11:08 AM
I don't know to be honest.

There is an email address on the website so maybe drop them a quick email?
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 11:23 AM
When my brothers ex used to bring her yorkie up - who slept in the crate in my parents kitchen - which wasn't warm with the heating on, I just bought one of those hot water bottles that has the big cover on.. she slept on it fine, no chewing or nothing - it was like a warm water bed.. of course it has to be so they can't burn themselves on it..

And Louie when he was a pup used to have a bed, that had one opening - all the sides were closed - so it was like a den - that kept him pretty warm..
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2011, 11:35 AM
my dads yorkies have those cat beds that are like pyramids with a hole in - keeps them warm