Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-10-2005, 03:44 PM

Trouble Breathing

Hi all i wondered if any one could give me some info/advice. I have been having breathing difficulties since i was about 12 (im now 15). It has got worse since xmas. I have episodes (as i call them) by this i mean my chest and throat feel like they are tightening and breathing becomes alot harder. My teachers have written home on occassions saying that they think i have asthma (sp) however we (my parents and I) never thought it was that bad. Until saturday when i literally couldnt breath became dizzy and then couldnt stand up. I have managed to get a doctors appointment for thursday but i havent been back to school yet because if im honest i havent really recovered. Does this sound like asthma to you or is it something else?

(sorry about any "off" spelling)
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2005, 03:48 PM
My son has asthma and sounds very much like it. I know he is having an attack when he cannot hold a sentence together. You need to get it sorted as soon as possible as you could faint and go into shock. It happened to my son and we got an emergency appointment straight away. Give them a ring and speak to a doctor direct, or ring the NHS helpline.
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-10-2005, 04:05 PM
Thanx Luz, I phoned the surgery on Monday. They said that they didnt consider me an emergency (which i found strange) so gave me the thursday appointment. But i suppose its not going to hurt me phoning again. Thank you again, Jay
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2005, 04:08 PM
Good Luck!
mand p
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2005, 06:23 PM
Aww poor you I'm no doctor, and don't rule out the athsma, but it could also be panic attacks. I suffered from those on and off from the age of about 13. This also has the symptom of chest and throat tightening ( although it isn't really.) It can make you feel dizzy as your breathing quickens because you feel that your throat is tightening and you feel like you can't get a breath.

Hope all goes well at the doctors
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-10-2005, 07:29 PM
Thanx mand p i had never really thought of that., but yeah i suppose your right. the only thing i would say about that though is that i cant think of anything that would make me panic. was there anything that would "set u off"as it were (sorry if this is to personnal you dont have to answer) ?
mand p
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2005, 08:00 PM
Not necessarily, I mean I can't ever remember something that must have triggered mine back then. My friend was staying over and we were having a great time when all of a sudden I had a "funny turn". It passed, but at a later date it happened again.and again. they stopped for a few years until I had one and it scared me so much I went to the hospital. I was convinced I was dying.

Anyway they tested my heart and lungs and told me I'd had a panic attack. So I read lots of stuff about them, learnt breathing and relaxtion techniques and eventually they stopped. I havn't had a panic attack for over 8 years now
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-10-2005, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by SpottyDogsRule
Thanx Luz, I phoned the surgery on Monday. They said that they didnt consider me an emergency (which i found strange) so gave me the thursday appointment. But i suppose its not going to hurt me phoning again. Thank you again, Jay
I get the impression that GP surgeries aren't quite what they used to be - they're much to financially focussed these days.

If they don't consider it to be an emergency, you might want to consider the local A&E department next time you get an attack.

If it is a panic attack, you can try breathing slowly in and out of a paper bag- inhaling your exhaled carbon dioxide can quickly balance your blood gases and ease the symptoms.

This won't help if it is asthma though.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2005, 10:22 PM
phone nhs direct when u next get an attack, chances are they will send an ambulance out to u!

they offered to when i hit my head and felt sick.. they r really good
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-10-2005, 03:09 PM
Thanx everyone, Im still not sure as to whether ive been having panic attacks or i have asthma but i am taking all your comments on board. I returned to school today and i started having an "attack" when an aerosol was sprayed in class. My appointment is tomorrow morning so hopefully i shouldnt have anymore trouble, i have a [I]peak flow metre[B] which i have been using so hopefully the doctor will be able to tell me whats wrong.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >