Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 10:35 AM

The Potting Shed

I think we need a Potting Shed, don`t we?
Somewhere to fiddle with our forsythia and stash the fermenting beer?
So I`ve made a little space in mine for a few old chairs (watch that one, the back`s gone) ... the cups are on the shelf... please wipe the wellies before entering.

So- what`s in your garden atm?
I`ve just had a tidy up and a few things are starting to sprout. Not sure what half of them are, mind.
But I do have Primulas and Daffs.
And the Sweet Peas are sprouting (ner ner ner) after less than a week!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 10:45 AM
Lots of weeds!!

Have noticed my wild garlic is coming through in the orchard, and I'm hopefully putting carrots and broad beans in my polytunnel soon.

Might even chance sowing some tomato seeds!!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-03-2012, 10:49 AM
The garlic is doing well, I have 22 cloves growing at the moment and am wondering about feeding it I have never grown Garlic before

My neighbour cut her lawn yesterday so I think it may be time to brush the cobwebs off the mower.

Pansies are looking poor , a trim and feed called for I think. Strawberries look a bit sad too.
Time to give the runner bean trench a dig over to incorporate the compost I put in during the autumn. Planting time is not far off.

Everything else is ticking over ok.
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-03-2012, 12:50 PM
A terrible mess. I used to be a keen gardener until my back got really bad, so looking at it is really depressing. Last year the back garden was flooded when a pipe burst in the old outhouse. This totally destroyed the lawn and now all we have is moss and weeds.

I really want to pave it and just have raised beds down each side so I can do the gardening sitting in a chair, but it's the task of clearing it all off and then finding the cash to get the work done that is the problem.
kazer
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-03-2012, 01:07 PM
I got out there last Sunday after our 6 mile walk. I only meant to be out for an hour deadheading the hydrangea in the front garden and before I knew it, 2 1/2 hours had gone by. I did the hydrangea, trimmed a choisya back, and I have a big yucca with two trunks and one each trunk, I braved it as the leaf edges are sharp and the edges have sharp points on, and I sawed off a small crown of each one so that it wasn't as crowded.

In the back I emptied out all the ornamental winter cabbages and brought out my pots with the tulips and daffodils in that I hide throughout the summer.

The garden bin is now full and you have just reminded me to download the next lists of dates for our bin days.

Just had an email from the RHS advertising the summer shows and will provisionally book my day off work for the Tatton show in July.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 01:23 PM
Not much, I'm afraid..... I'm waiting to plant - it's a bit chilly at the moment......
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 01:24 PM
Out in the back garden we have buds coming on the patio roses, and the honey suckle Im hoping that we don't have a hard frost otherwise I think they will be gone.

The crocus's are just showing above the soil, and the Mock Orange bush is showing signs too

Out the front the herbs are showing signs that they will be springing to life and I have a very tiny head on the peonie ....I think some plants are confused TBH with the mild weather.

One winter pansy has a beautiful bloom.....just waiting the others and all the daffs have shot up.

We have a potting shed.....I need to clean it out as I have neglected it over the last few months
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 02:45 PM
I have/had a lovely new shrub that my mum had bought my daughter.........sadly this morning Buttons came and ate all the tops off so hoping it will still survive!
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 06:34 PM
Not much at the moment - it looks a bit of a mess. There are some snowdrops about and the daffs look as though they are thinking about coming out.

I haven't planted any seeds yet as I like to do it as late as possible. Been caught out with late frosts for the past few years. Will start in the next couple of weeks though. I love choosing seeds to plant!

Helen
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post

We have a potting shed.....I need to clean it out as I have neglected it over the last few months
Right - you can host the next meeting of the DGC. I`ll bring me own cushion. I expect cake mind.

Does anyone know of any dog resistant shrubs?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >