Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 11:42 AM

dog solutions for a zafira?

I am asking for advice on how best to travel with our 3 kids and Fudge in our Zafira. We have a dog harness for her but she starts shaking when she sees it and hates going in the car when wearing it.She is quite happy jumping in and out of the car when we have the back 2 seats folded down(Estate style), we have no dog guard however as the middle seats are often slid forwards and backwards. the other complication is that we sometimes need to travel with our third child in the 6th seat. Hence Fudge then has half of the available boot space.

Have I confused you all yet?

What i am trying to find out is if anyone has solved the problem of dogs and Zafira-like cars in terms of keeping the flexibility of the 7 seats and travelling with a properly secured dog.Hoping there may be products out there which I have yet to discover.

She is about collie sized. We already have a crate at home but this is too big to go in the car and still use the 6th seat.

I like to set a challenge.......
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 11:52 AM
I own a Zafira and use a dog guard when travelling.

There are various sizes cages designed for car/boots, both double to fit whole of boot and single for half of boot. Not sure on suitabuility for a medium sized dog. This may be an option that would enable you have the 6th seat.

Sorry couldn't be more help.

D xxxxxxxxxx
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 11:58 AM
Would she fit comfortably into a smaller crate that fits the space you have in the car?

With regard to the car harness, I would put this on her whan she's in the house (supervised). Starting off for just a while at feeding times and perhaps games. Gradually building up the time it's worn without fuss. Then taking her into the car wearing it for high value treats, with out going anywhere. Building up from there slowly.
jumbosdad
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-01-2007, 12:40 PM
try hamster baskets , they do an option that you can increase or decrease the size of the cage when you need it , they are excellent value and made to measure
www.hamsterbaskets.co.uk i thinl
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 02:45 PM
the hamster cage idea looks great, will explore smaller crates prehaps too.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 02:56 PM
I have no idea about cars.
BUT we travel in our estate with a tailgate guard form Barjo and a dog guard. I know the back can be split in the tailgate guard which may allow for the 6th seat. In all honesty I wouldn't be without a railgate guard or crate in a car now,best money we ever spent. Expensive, yes...but worth every penny IMO...
Here's the link if it helps.
https://www.barjo.co.uk/index.cfm?fu...product.search
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 04:01 PM
GET A LUGGAGE BOX FOR THE ROOF AND PUT THE KID IN IT LOL...NO SORRY ONLY KIDDING, Dunno what to do, I drive a land rover fold the back seats so the boys have all the boot space and I'm limited to a 2 seater.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2007, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I have no idea about cars.
BUT we travel in our estate with a tailgate guard form Barjo and a dog guard. I know the back can be split in the tailgate guard which may allow for the 6th seat. In all honesty I wouldn't be without a railgate guard or crate in a car now,best money we ever spent. Expensive, yes...but worth every penny IMO...
Here's the link if it helps.
https://www.barjo.co.uk/index.cfm?<b...product.search

might be me but can`t get link to work...but found site now thanks.