Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
just because a dog has killed another species does not automatically mean it will kill one of it own
No it doesnt, but it stands a fair chance. My dogs kill other animals dont forget, but they dont kill eachother, nor my other "pets" which includes a Belgian Hare and did include 4 rescue Ferrets.

..no Dawn its what i think of you,its what im getting by your posts..life for a life even though you could not be 100% sure it was that dog
Well thats how it sounds, its fine by me, as I said its a shame you dont really know me.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
No it doesnt, but it stands a fair chance. My dogs kill other animals dont forget, but they dont kill eachother, nor my other "pets" which includes a Belgian Hare and did include 4 rescue Ferrets.

Well thats how it sounds, its fine by me, as I said its a shame you dont really know me.
I think this thread and the other one have actually been very useful for getting to 'know' each other.

rune
Greyhoundlover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-01-2011, 02:11 PM
I think one thing that is clear, is that we NEVER really know our dogs 100%, or what they are capable of. ANY of our dogs irrespective of breeding or training could be just as likely to injure or even kill another, if the circumstances were enough to "kick in" instincts in that particular dog. I have seen the mildest of mannered turn snappy when in a pack situation.

As others have said, we were not there to see what happened, and shouldn't judge. Most of us thankfully, haven't been confronted with such an awful situation, and hopefully never will, BUT until we are, I don't think any one of us can really say what we would do, as our opinion often changes when the cards are turned.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 02:11 PM

now im confussed.. so do u mean u think they will or wont?

notice.. i had to edit my post cos i missed the word not out
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
So what's your experience of being in this same situation Dawn?
I have never had a dog thats killed another one.

However I have had experience of it through rescue. One lab killed their own Cat, then it killed their Cocker Spaniel several months later. He was a stray, taken in as a youngster.

Another killed Lambs when he escaped from the owners home, I gave him the benefit of the doubt, didnt blame the dog at all, rehomed with no kids. He was fine for 12mths or so, but he then jumped their fence killed their neighbours Rabbits and Guinea Pig, from then on he would have attacked anything.

How about yourself?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 02:14 PM

However I have had experience of it through rescue. One lab killed their own Cat, then it killed their Cocker Spaniel several months later. He was a stray, taken in as a youngster.

Another killed Lambs when he escaped from the owners home, I gave him the benefit of the doubt, didnt blame the dog at all, rehomed with no kids. He was fine for 12mths or so, but he then jumped their fence killed their neighbours Rabbits and Guinea Pig, from then on he would have attacked anything.

How about yourself?
Must have been blood lust

Lucky your dogs don't get that when they kill various other animals whose lives are expendable.

rune
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 02:18 PM
now im confussed.. so do u mean u think they will or wont?
I mean as I have always said, a dog will know what is "theirs" and what is fair game. Which is why when Zoe's dog escaped and killed the Cat I saw it as a complete accident, one that was unpreventable in the scheme of things. The Cat ran, the dog chased etc.. However, I see this as TOTALLY different. I very much doubt that Bessie was running anywhere, and the only thing we know for sure is her condition on being found, one dog apparently plastered in her blood and the other dogs spotlessly clean. In 18yrs of working dogs, in my experience, the ones that rag and shake and kill (like Terriers) are the ones that have the marks and scars and the blood on them at the time. the ones that sit back and watch do not.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Must have been blood lust

Lucky your dogs don't get that when they kill various other animals whose lives are expendable.

rune
Blood lust?? dont remember mentioning that, would that be what those Lurchers have???

Yes Im lucky my dogs kill what they are supposed to and not other dogs here.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 02:22 PM

How about yourself?
Nothing, which is why I'm remaining neutral and respecting that this is a very hard time for two people to be going through. You would do well to do the same for once.

Woody flushed a rabbit on our walk earlier. He yipped and barked with excitement like he was in pain and chased the poor thing for ages. He came straight back to me on the whistle but that doesn't mean I don't for one minute think he can be trusted 100%.

Dogs have instincts in them that are stronger than we will ever understand. PTS is not the immediate answer and a cure all for what we feel is bad behaviour.

I don't know how I feel about this particular situation to be honest but one thing I do feel is that it was a tragic accident and must have been horrific for the owners so accusations and strong opinions/attacks are best left.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 02:24 PM
The dog was standing over her.. not still ragging, or gripping or attacking. Who is to say that he wasn't in fact fighting to protect her from the others? That the reason he was covered in blood was because he was the one covering her to protect her? The others had little blood on them.. But then when Jackjack or Pharaoh used to kill rabbits there wouldn't be a drop of blood on them either, but Selkie who came in after the fact and just picked up the rabbit got absolutely covered... I cant say this was the case.. None of us can... We'll never know what happened that day.

Does anyone remember the story of a dog who the owners came in to find was covered in blood in the baby's room, I think it was a victorian story, bite marks clearly visible on the baby... They all assumed the worst. They ordered the gamekeeper to take the dog out and shoot him straight away.. But then when they were cleaning the room later, they found the body of a fox under the crib... Their dog was a hero not a killer...

Its not a cut and dried case when you weren't there to witness it...

Now.. If it were a different situation.. If one of my dogs attacked another of their doggy family in my sight and killed them and then went on to be dangerously unpredictable and aggressive.. Well thats another issue completely. Then I would look at the situation and make a decision based on the ongoing quality of all our lives...

But I couldn't make a final decision in a case like the one in the other post, where there could be any doubt at all.. We would add precautions and watch them closely for signs that his was a definite change in their behaviour, but I couldn't based on an assumption just kill him.. What if as someone else said in the other thread, you were to make that decision and then have one of the other dogs attack another and then be faced with that horrible feeling that you killed the wrong dog

You just have to take precautions and try to do what is best for all of the family...
Page 12 of 56 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 > Last »