Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2010, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
I have enough control of him, unfornatly he has the highest prey drive in a dog I have experienced (but only outside, inside he is different, and even good with the rabbit) but if I left him it would be too much for him to deal with, and almost every lurcher or grey I know Honey will recall off a chase, Diesel you have a chance, more then likely wont, but gets nervous on his own, and runs back as fast as he went into the chase , but I would never expect a lurcher to just stand in the face of prey and just look at them, they either in my experience will chase, or need a distraction to save themselves, instincts can surface at any time, and I wouldn't risk allowing that to happen if I can help it.
Im a little confused with your statement "stand in the face of prey" The only "prey" a Lurcher should "face" but be the quarry its caught. all quarry is chased and caught, thats where the control comes in.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2010, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
No, I dont have Lurchers, but you know that! I have my Terriers though. I can stop any one of them, most likely two, I doubt I could stop all three together, but I wouldnt be stupid enough to have them all loose in a place where I was likely to meet such quarry.
Sorry---you were speaking with such authority that I assumed I had missed something.

How do you train your terriers to stop?

rune
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2010, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Sorry---you were speaking with such authority that I assumed I had missed something.

How do you train your terriers to stop?

rune
No, you were just being sarcastic, but I knew that Lynn. See, not always me is it?

None of your business what I do with my dogs, as you said earlier in a thread, its legal!

How do you train your dogs to balance on their hind legs, dance and perform tricks so you an advertise them in an attempt to procure money from their "hire?" Some people will do anything to make money from their dogs, awful...
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2010, 08:06 PM
Im a little confused with your statement "stand in the face of prey" The only "prey" a Lurcher should "face" but be the quarry its caught. all quarry is chased and caught, thats where the control comes in.
Which is why I wouldn't expect him to stay still if he see's anything lurchers are meant to run, catch and retrieve, I wouldn't expect him to see something and just stand there, no matter how much I want him too, the nature of the beast is to chase, not look at, and when it comes to instincts nature trumps nuture, a lot, it would take a lot to get him to stand there for a picture if he had seen something like JB thought, and I'm not that good .
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2010, 08:12 PM
Which is why I wouldn't expect him to stay still if he see's anything lurchers are meant to run, catch and retrieve, I wouldn't expect him to see something and just stand there, no matter how much I want him too, the nature of the beast is to chase, not look at, and when it comes to instincts nature trumps nuture, a lot, it would take a lot to get him to stand there for a picture if he had seen something like JB thought, and I'm not that good .
I get the impression you have never worked a dog, nor owned Lurchers for very long? apologies if Im wrong, just an observation.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2010, 08:19 PM
I get the impression you have never worked a dog, nor owned Lurchers for very long? apologies if Im wrong, just an observation.
Not worked them, wanted to, but the one person I know of isn't the most friendly to his dogs, and its not something I would try on my own, but have had sighthounds most my life.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2010, 08:48 PM
Not worked them, wanted to, but the one person I know of isn't the most friendly to his dogs, and its not something I would try on my own, but have had sighthounds most my life.
Ahh ok, I did think so, maybe I could speak to a few friends for you at some point and put you in touch? What type of work would you like to try?
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2010, 09:05 PM
Ahh ok, I did think so, maybe I could speak to a few friends for you at some point and put you in touch? What type of work would you like to try?
Well I don't know how to shoot, so I think I will be limeted to rats and rabbits lol, I did try at one point to get a air rifle or something to practice with (not on animals) but the person I went to took my money, then dispeared not impressed, but the dogs are use to different noises, pretty much bomb proof in that respect, I did have someone near Witney say I could use their small holding, but with no-one to teach me, I wouldn't even think of it and have lost contact with this person. Also I'd like them to return live to hand, although Honey has caught a squirrel before, tried to bring it back live (not encouraged at all btw) once it bit her she dispatched it, when I checked it over there was only two small cuts, I'd still prefer live to hand, anything else I can't think of right now, supernaturals on .
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2010, 09:14 PM
No, you were just being sarcastic, but I knew that Lynn. See, not always me is it?

None of your business what I do with my dogs, as you said earlier in a thread, its legal!

How do you train your dogs to balance on their hind legs, dance and perform tricks so you an advertise them in an attempt to procure money from their "hire?" Some people will do anything to make money from their dogs, awful...
Here we go again---can't answer a question so you turn it about (G). You'd be amazed how many people are noticing that you do it now. We will now hear from one of two other people who will start to back you up.

I thought this was a discussion forum----I am more than happy to tell anyone how I train my dogs. You obviously are not happy to tell how you train yours.

Very telling.

rune
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2010, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Here we go again---can't answer a question so you turn it about (G). You'd be amazed how many people are noticing that you do it now. We will now hear from one of two other people who will start to back you up.

I thought this was a discussion forum----I am more than happy to tell anyone how I train my dogs. You obviously are not happy to tell how you train yours.

Very telling.

rune
Lynn I have absolutely NO interest at all whatsoever in how you train your dogs to perform tricks so you can hire them out to make cash for you, none whatsoever, it fills me with sorrow to say the least.

I didnt turn anything round my dear, you did it yourself, all by yourself, accusing me of being sarcastic on other threads, you did a smashing job yourself, nice work!

Oh and its not "can't" answer a question, as far as you are concerned, its "won't" you hold little interest for me, so I wouldnt want to bother, seriously.
Page 33 of 35 « First < 23 30 31 32 33 34 35 >