Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by aliwin View Post
I currently am nursing a bun with head tilt due to EC, the other possibility is an ear infection. Bun needs treating for 28 days with panacur as do all other buns that have shared space with her. She needs metacam and antibiotics too. Please feel free to pm me if you have any questions or need any advice.
She is lovely. My friend had an English that had E.C he survived another year but sadly died. He was on steroids I think.

My buns aren't kept together but are close to each other - only Gin is next to her as they are next to the bunny shed, the others are out on a patio at the end of the garden - the buns are antisocial with each other and they all need neutering before we bond them - which we will be doing once we've settled into our new house.
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-01-2011, 12:55 PM
All fingers and paws tightly crossed for you here. I think they can still have an ear infection that can't be seen by the vet other than under xray. Do let us know how it goes
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 02:12 PM
I hope you have good news hun! Im having problems with my buns at the moment, little buggas have dug their way under the decking and Hazel is refusing to come out! I know she can get out but she just runs back in their when I try and block her out lol.

Hope to hear good news about your little un
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 02:23 PM
Isnt this infectious to humans? Like in a poorly person or one that has a weakened immune system?
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Isnt this infectious to humans? Like in a poorly person or one that has a weakened immune system?
Yup and dogs which is why ours are now banned from the bottom of the garden.

Update:

Well now we are £60 poorer,

Mindy has had:
.15 Dexadreson
.5 Baytril injection
Panacur given x 2 because Gin is near to her so needs doing also - although my OH can't understand why after being explained to him that he is near her and it passes through her poo and wee and spores can travel. Well lets just say he's not happy and still doesn't understand because her pee corner is no where near Mindy yet having explained spores travel through the air and that when we're feeding their two dishes are the first to be fed - we could've passed it on our hands - ugh MEN!

And she also has some Oral Baytril 2.5% to have.

If she picks up next week she will be going back for another injection. But if she doesn't then the vet said it would be kinder to put her to rest.
But the vet says as she is bright and eating then she's alright. Considering our situation I have said we'll take her as far as we can with the treatment.
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-01-2011, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Yup and dogs which is why ours are now banned from the bottom of the garden.

Update:

Well now we are £60 poorer,

Mindy has had:
.15 Dexadreson
.5 Baytril injection
Panacur given x 2 because Gin is near to her so needs doing also - although my OH can't understand why after being explained to him that he is near her and it passes through her poo and wee and spores can travel. Well lets just say he's not happy and still doesn't understand because her pee corner is no where near Mindy yet having explained spores travel through the air and that when we're feeding their two dishes are the first to be fed - we could've passed it on our hands - ugh MEN!

And she also has some Oral Baytril 2.5% to have.

If she picks up next week she will be going back for another injection. But if she doesn't then the vet said it would be kinder to put her to rest.
But the vet says as she is bright and eating then she's alright. Considering our situation I have said we'll take her as far as we can with the treatment.
Ok, that all seems pretty standard treatment The steroid injection she has had will only work if she has an ear infection or the EC is active. If there is no improvement after this it does not mean all is lost just that there is no point in repeating this. If the steriod is ineffective as was the case with Bonnie then there will be no improvement by next week it is longer term than that. You say she is eating and drinking which is all good, can she still get about? You can just keep her on the 28 days of panacur and may well see an improvement. The pics of Bonnie I posted were on day one, these were yesterday and it will be 3 weeks tomorrow I started treatment.

I hope you can see the difference? How bad is Mindy's tilt? Just trying to offer some encouragement too that it doesn't necessarily need to be costing a fortune and you may still get some pretty good results. Oh also panacur is available on the net to for a lot less than at the vets
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 05:21 PM
Mindy's tilt isn't that bad - it was just sudden, the vet looked in her ear and said there was nothing there so now I'm wondering why she gave her a steroid

And yes I have found Panacur on the net - £15 for two boxes - I was like I found it for £4 on the net.

Will two boxes of panacur do 7 rabbits for 28 days?

Oh and she put on the box only 9 days with the panacur - I was very confused. But I know I know people on here and on the rabbit forum I am on that know "better" and have gone through this so I'm disregarding it, cos she said to take her back after a week but it takes 28 days of panacur to kill the EC so there won't be much improvement.
I know I should listen to my vet but I know people who have been through this first hand.
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-01-2011, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Mindy's tilt isn't that bad - it was just sudden, the vet looked in her ear and said there was nothing there so now I'm wondering why she gave her a steroid

And yes I have found Panacur on the net - £15 for two boxes - I was like I found it for £4 on the net.

Will two boxes of panacur do 7 rabbits for 28 days?

Oh and she put on the box only 9 days with the panacur - I was very confused. But I know I know people on here and on the rabbit forum I am on that know "better" and have gone through this so I'm disregarding it, cos she said to take her back after a week but it takes 28 days of panacur to kill the EC so there won't be much improvement.
I know I should listen to my vet but I know people who have been through this first hand.
It is quite common for an ear infection not to be visible on examination. The steroid can also help if there is an active EC inflammation in the brain to calm this. If her tilt is no worse than Bonnie's I don't see why she needs to be pts!! Seems harsh! I'm not sure how long the panacur will last as Bonnie has Lapizole. But £4 is much more manageable than £15!!! Is she a rabbit savvy vet? I only have one vet at our practice who I will see with the rabbits as the others don't really seem to be up on their care. Others have also told me that sometimes the tilt can get worse before it gets better too. This wasn't the case with my bun as she had been left untreated for so long. I think buns can still live a happy life with a tilt though. Which bun forum do you use?
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-01-2011, 06:24 PM
Just been off to look at panacur. Others say one tube would treat 2 buns up to 2.5kgs for the 9 day course. So depending on the weights of your buns maybe up to 10 tubes for 28 days for all 7. I will be honest with you though, I have Bonnie isolated from the others and have treated her with the 28 day course and the others with the 9 day as they have not directly shared accomodation. Money being an issue (as it is for all of us at the mo ) maybe this would be ok and just perhaps the 28 days for her and the really close bun?
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 05:37 PM
It is quite common for an ear infection not to be visible on examination. The steroid can also help if there is an active EC inflammation in the brain to calm this. If her tilt is no worse than Bonnie's I don't see why she needs to be pts!! Seems harsh! I'm not sure how long the panacur will last as Bonnie has Lapizole. But £4 is much more manageable than £15!!! Is she a rabbit savvy vet? I only have one vet at our practice who I will see with the rabbits as the others don't really seem to be up on their care. Others have also told me that sometimes the tilt can get worse before it gets better too. This wasn't the case with my bun as she had been left untreated for so long. I think buns can still live a happy life with a tilt though. Which bun forum do you use?
Oh she won't be put to sleep - I'll rehome her to someone who will be able to afford the treatment for her.
I use Rabbit retreat forum which my friend runs. She has 19 buns and one more on the way LOL she looks after them all though.

Just been off to look at panacur. Others say one tube would treat 2 buns up to 2.5kgs for the 9 day course. So depending on the weights of your buns maybe up to 10 tubes for 28 days for all 7. I will be honest with you though, I have Bonnie isolated from the others and have treated her with the 28 day course and the others with the 9 day as they have not directly shared accomodation. Money being an issue (as it is for all of us at the mo ) maybe this would be ok and just perhaps the 28 days for her and the really close bun?
As none of them are bonded we're only treating her and Gin (we get paid next week so can get the others done then) it's just them two are near to each other.
There's the garden - then the patio which has the shed and 5 bunnies (separate hutches) then we have a separated areas behind them which has the bunny shed and Mindy and Gin.

Her tilt seems to have gotten better - at least we know we caught it early.
We also think it may be something that her daughter Tinkerbell, had, we were away for the week and my in laws looking after them, his mum checked on them and fed all of them in the morning - went out and in the afternoon - Tinkerbell had passed. She had no tilt, no signs of illness - she just passed - it was confusing and she was only just turned 1. So maybe as most pet rabbits have it but most don't show - we are facing a family case of it?
She was a rescue type dog so we don't really know much about her.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >