Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2010, 06:43 AM

Here we go again

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!

I asked Lizzie to wash up last night,she was on her lappy,no answer,so went upstairs and was told,It's not my turn,get lost

She hasn't done anything in the house since Sunday,so I turned the power off and broadband,this has worked in the past but not last night,she got into bed and went to sleep

She has come downstairs this morning not said a word,no morning,nothing,I asked her what was the matter and the look she gave me was evil
She put her shoes on and without a word stormed off out the door to school

She is supposed to be going over her boyfriends tomorrow and I usually drop her off,but tomorrow I am going to tell her it's not my turn,get lost
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

16-07-2010, 06:45 AM
(((Hugs))). Good idea about giving back the same treatment.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2010, 07:27 AM
LOL the joy of teenage girls. Boys I found are much easier. Charly is not as bad as she was but she still has her moments.
Stick to your guns they have to learn we are not thier to wait on them.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2010, 07:38 AM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
She is supposed to be going over her boyfriends tomorrow and I usually drop her off,but tomorrow I am going to tell her it's not my turn,get lost

Does't seem that long ago that I was that stroppy teenager, I did grow out of it - eventually.........
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-07-2010, 08:22 AM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!

I asked Lizzie to wash up last night,she was on her lappy,no answer,so went upstairs and was told,It's not my turn,get lost

She hasn't done anything in the house since Sunday,so I turned the power off and broadband,this has worked in the past but not last night,she got into bed and went to sleep

She has come downstairs this morning not said a word,no morning,nothing,I asked her what was the matter and the look she gave me was evil
She put her shoes on and without a word stormed off out the door to school

She is supposed to be going over her boyfriends tomorrow and I usually drop her off,but tomorrow I am going to tell her it's not my turn,get lost ;-)
Make sure if you do that you stick to it, false threats will only make her disrespect you more.

How old is she know??

She needs to have consequences for her action, set them in place, just as you would with your dogs, you have to follow through, otherwise there is no point !!
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2010, 08:34 AM
My son is nearly 18 and has just passed through that grotty stage and we are just coming out the other side. I really feel for you! What I found helped was

1. Never bluff, always, always stick to your threats of sanctions, however much they plead or try to negotiate.

2. Choose your battles carefully. Some things can't be won so don't even start it. It means they are getting away with some stuff but you don't want to be nagging them all the time.

3. Be really generous in you praise when they get it right.

4. Link money and lifts and perks to good behaviour so they are aware there will be consequences.

5. However hard it is...keep calm. They love pressing your buttons and winding you up. Be absolutely super cool in front of them and go and explode in private.

Good luck!! There is an end in sight and what she is going through is soooooo normal. I was absolutely vile as a teenager and passed through it eventually. My mother and I are still very close, amazingly!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2010, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
My son is nearly 18 and has just passed through that grotty stage and we are just coming out the other side. I really feel for you! What I found helped was

1. Never bluff, always, always stick to your threats of sanctions, however much they plead or try to negotiate.

2. Choose your battles carefully. Some things can't be won so don't even start it. It means they are getting away with some stuff but you don't want to be nagging them all the time.

3. Be really generous in you praise when they get it right.

4. Link money and lifts and perks to good behaviour so they are aware there will be consequences.

5. However hard it is...keep calm. They love pressing your buttons and winding you up. Be absolutely super cool in front of them and go and explode in private.

Good luck!! There is an end in sight and what she is going through is soooooo normal. I was absolutely vile as a teenager and passed through it eventually. My mother and I are still very close, amazingly!
LOL, same -- truly vile! There is a pleasant adult waiting for you on the other wise, honest.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2010, 09:40 AM
You know, i must have been a wonderful teenage daughter, despite my mothers claims i was the spawn of satan!

My sister and I each:
Washed up 5 nights a week (diane washed and cleaned counters etc, i dried and put it away)
Cooked 2 nights a week,
Mowed one of the lawns (this took about 1.5 hours) every other week
Cleaned our own room, sorted out washing, ironed our own stuff etc
I cleaned (dusted, tidied and hoovered) the downstairs hallway,stairs, upstairs hallway and the living room, (My sister got the two large front rooms)

This we did for no reward other than our clothes washed and food on the table. It was just a given that it was shared between us all!

I feel as though i never truly took advantage of the teenage strop to the fullest extent!

Good Luck

Alex
xx
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2010, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by alexandra View Post
You know, i must have been a wonderful teenage daughter, despite my mothers claims i was the spawn of satan!

My sister and I each:
Washed up 5 nights a week (diane washed and cleaned counters etc, i dried and put it away)
Cooked 2 nights a week,
Mowed one of the lawns (this took about 1.5 hours) every other week
Cleaned our own room, sorted out washing, ironed our own stuff etc
I cleaned (dusted, tidied and hoovered) the downstairs hallway,stairs, upstairs hallway and the living room, (My sister got the two large front rooms)

This we did for no reward other than our clothes washed and food on the table. It was just a given that it was shared between us all!

I feel as though i never truly took advantage of the teenage strop to the fullest extent!

Good Luck

Alex
xx
Cool!!! What was your mother's secret?
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2010, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
Cool!!! What was your mother's secret?
The Glare

all she ever had to do was give us that glare when we were really young and that was it! Im happy i have inherited it!

No but honestly, my dad has a way of convincing anyone to do what he wants them to do and make it seem like its their idea, so we were broken in very young! lol

also, at that point, my parents had split, the house was too big for my mum to cope with on her own and she was working all the hours she could whilst also being at uni so it seemed very reasonable to chip in. It was our mess too. We were brought up to be very independant and take on responsibility.

That and my mother has a fierce, typically french temper and it really wasnt worth arguing over.!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >