View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JIMMY LAW
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-04-2011, 04:52 PM
We had Jez from six weeks he was clean before he was three months old as for Roman a recue of 18months who had not been kept in the house at all but in a yard, took around 12weeks. Totally agree with the paper on the floor thing its just teaching your pup that its ok to toilet in the house.
SallyG
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-04-2011, 06:39 PM
Well firstly 2 miles a dog for a 7 month old dog is too far. You need to leave it until they are at least 9 - 10 months old before you start any serious walking. He will become leggy, and it could cause problems later in life.

When do you feed him, at what time, at what time of night do you let him go out for his last toilet, and what time do you get up in a morning?

Why have him castrated so young, was there a medical reason for doing so?

Does he only soil the house at night when left, or at other times when you are there?

All my puppies have been house trained by 9 weeks old. I take them outside as soon as they wake up, after feeding, during play when they look like they are sniffing round, and every hour in between. I wait with them until they do something, and give lots of praise. If they have an accident in the house, I still take them outside so they get to know where they should have done it.

Crate training doesnt always work either, I know people who have spent months house training a dog using this method, the old chestnut saying they wont soil in their crate is not always true.

I also agree about the paper, he thinks that is where he should do it.........perhaps take some paper outside?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 07:16 PM
NO dog is house trained at 9 weeks, lots of OWNERS are, but that is an entirely different issue.

I never had one accident with one of my previous bitches, not because SHE was trained at 7 weeks but because I was!
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by Rolosmum View Post
We trained our pup and our older kennel living girl in the same way, we took them both outside and as we went say 'outside' we then said 'weewee' the second that they squated to do the wee, in a really high pitched happy voice and praised highly as they wee'd.

We watched like hawks for circling or any sign that they wanted to go, and quickly either picked them up or ushered them toward the door and followed above 'outside' and 'weewee' Once they were fairly reliably going outside we started when we needed them to go started to say 'outside weewee' so they knew the purpose was to go and do their business because we needed them to as we may be going out or to bed, they will now if they need to go do it on command.
I did the same with Poppy and Kiara initially spent what felt like hours wandering around the garden in all weathers, as soon as she squatted I said 'wee wee' and when she'd finished gave her a treat, it took a while but she now wee wee's on command!!! It would be really funny to see her wee on command except that she still expects me to go into the garden with her even when it's raining The neighbours must think I'm barmy stood out in the pouring rain, saying 'wee wee' !!
Bailey my blind dog was a bit different as he thought if he could feel the wind on his face he was outside, even though his back end was still indoors so I mopped up his wee with an old tea towel and put it at the far end of the garden and kept leading him to it at regular intervals, he soon learnt and he always went to the same spot.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 08:43 PM
At 7 months he should be getting reliable by now. I have not read all the posts, but as others have said get rid of the paper. I would also think he needs to go out more in the day than twice. If you feed him late he will also have a full tummy. I think I would feed smaller meals 3 times a day (last meal at about 5.00pm) and make sure he goes out (accompanied) every 2/3 hours in the daytime if you possibly can - back to basics really for a while. Take him out as late as possible at night and as early as possible in the morning. I also think I would consider getting up to take him out in the night - just for a few nights, so that he gets out of the idea that he can "go" indoors. Hard work I know, but I think it is the quickest way to get him reliably trained.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2