Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2012, 04:59 PM
Awww, I hope the treatment works
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2012, 06:05 PM
Awwww, that has made me all teary It really touches me when people do things like that... So many people think dogs are 'just' dogs, but stories like that show just how much they mean to people.
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-10-2012, 06:38 PM
for me dogs should not have chemotherapy and as i said that is my view as someone who had had to endure the nightmare twice with my partner, i just do not see how i could explain to my dogs the hellish treatment and side effects, i would just let my dogs enjoy the time they have.
Good on the couple though as they obviously see it differently.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2012, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by astle9 View Post
for me dogs should not have chemotherapy and as i said that is my view as someone who had had to endure the nightmare twice with my partner, i just do not see how i could explain to my dogs the hellish treatment and side effects, i would just let my dogs enjoy the time they have.
Good on the couple though as they obviously see it differently.
Dogs are given a much lower dose of chemicals than humans so are unlikely to suffer the same sort of side effects. My dog had none whatsoever. It does mean that you are just hoping to delay the effects of the cancer rather than eradicate it completely but even so they deserve a chance.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2012, 07:54 PM
Lovely story

Astle9, Chemotherapy for dogs is nothing like the chemo humans get.

My Zeke sailed through it, it was definitely the right decision - given 6 weeks to live without treatment, still here years later and led a very happy, healthy life since!

You can't really judge a person's decision to treat their dog with chemo , only they know the best thing for their best friend, whom they are the voice, their advocate. I'm sure they, as we did, would have done the right thing should the chemo have begun to have any nasty side effects. To think we hadn't given it a go and just let Zeke die, doesn't bear thinking about.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-10-2012, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
Lovely story
To think we hadn't given it a go and just let Zeke die, doesn't bear thinking about.
That is my opinion completely! Chemo gave my previous dog 2 months of slight improvement and nearly a year of being back to her old self before something went wrong and caused internal bleeding. We never knew what it was, but she was dying and the chemo and other problems ment she wouldn't have survived the operation but that year was the best year of my life and hers! The whole time it was about me and her and doing what made her happy, and I am so glad I could have given her that time and spoilt her rotten.

I would do the exact same thing as this couple! There would be no doubt about it! (Not that I would go on a honeymoon to Las Vegas - sounds like torture to me hehe)
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-10-2012, 08:40 PM
i never judged them i said it was my belief but good on them for seeing it differently.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-10-2012, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by astle9 View Post
i never judged them i said it was my belief but good on them for seeing it differently.
I really love your attitude, so nice to see someone who can voice their own opinion without judging others for having a different view! Bit off topic, but had to say your posts are making me feel a bit better about the human race - something I really needed today
wonderlandtm
New Member!
Male 

09-10-2012, 02:31 AM
Lovely couple and a gorgeous dog. Hope someone will help to pay towards another honeymoon.