Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
You've tried it on your neck on the highest setting?

And pressed it several times on a day?
Why would I want to do that? If I had to I would - in other words, if Ben had needed that level of correction, then I would have first tested it on myself.

But he didn't. He has probably only ever been zapped around 5 times, maybe less. He has not had to be zapped for a very long time, he wears the collar but it is not used. Sometimes OH does not even have the controller with him, sometimes he forgets to put the collar on, the collar is really rather extraneous now simply because Ben now comes when he is called. So why would we want to use it.

I am struggling, realy struggling, to understand why people cannot accept this fact

THAT BEN DOES NOT HAVE TO BE CORRECTED WITH THE E COLLAR NOW, AND HAS NOT BEEN FOR A LONG TIME.

Comprenez?

Sorry if my posts are a bit hostile, but I am beginning to get really fed up of having to repeat myself over and over and over again.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

05-11-2013, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
You did have other options and you are being a bit too rigid in your ways if you refused to consider them.
I agree with you Julie
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by Heather and Zak View Post
I think a calm stooge dog should be used not an arsey entire male. I can't see how the dog you are going to use will help with Ben's aggression, it will have the opposite effect. I really think you have no idea how dogs really tick. Will you be Zapping Ben when he reacts badly to the other dog?
Absolutely not - because Ben won't kick off with a calm dog.

And thank you very much for your lovely comment about how I have no idea how dogs really tick. That is extraordinary, considering how I am so much in tune with them. Several dogs I know are extremely aggressive and unpredictable with strangers, but have no issues with me. I tend to attract dogs to me like rats to the pied piper. I am a very doggy person, and particularly a very wolfdoggy person and although no-one can ever claim to know everything about dogs, you learn and learn every day, or you should do, I would class myself as a knowledgeable dog owner.

Your last remark just demonstrates how you have not listened to anything I have said ... I have repeatedly said you would NOT use an e collar in a confrontational situation.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

05-11-2013, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Why would I want to do that? If I had to I would - in other words, if Ben had needed that level of correction, then I would have first tested it on myself.

But he didn't. He has probably only ever been zapped around 5 times, maybe less. He has not had to be zapped for a very long time, he wears the collar but it is not used. Sometimes OH does not even have the controller with him, sometimes he forgets to put the collar on, the collar is really rather extraneous now simply because Ben now comes when he is called. So why would we want to use it.

I am struggling, realy struggling, to understand why people cannot accept this fact

THAT BEN DOES NOT HAVE TO BE CORRECTED WITH THE E COLLAR NOW, AND HAS NOT BEEN FOR A LONG TIME.

Comprenez?

Sorry if my posts are a bit hostile, but I am beginning to get really fed up of having to repeat myself over and over and over again.
Why would you want to do that? Well, you said you had tried it on yourself, but surely it cannot compare if not on the neck, as that is where your dog wears it.

Why have the controller with you at all if it is not to be used.

Not sure why your are being hostile or using other lamguages, but the question was perfectly valid.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
I have had DA dogs and Nervous aggression too, no amount of training can train it out of some dogs and we have to love them despite their baggage. Adding electric shocks into the equation isn't training them it's hurting and scaring them into complying. I want mine to want to do things for me not be too scared of me to refuse if they are worried or scared in a situation.
For the last time!! We used the e collar to train a recall NOT for the aggression.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

05-11-2013, 01:06 PM
Absolutely not - because Ben won't kick off with a calm dog.

And thank you very much for your lovely comment about how I have no idea how dogs really tick. That is extraordinary, considering how I am so much in tune with them. Several dogs I know are extremely aggressive and unpredictable with strangers, but have no issues with me. I tend to attract dogs to me like rats to the pied piper. I am a very doggy person, and particularly a very wolfdoggy person and although no-one can ever claim to know everything about dogs, you learn and learn every day, or you should do, I would class myself as a knowledgeable dog owner.

Your last remark just demonstrates how you have not listened to anything I have said ... I have repeatedly said you would NOT use an e collar in a confrontational situation.
TBF I had read it that way as well. You were setting up your nervous agressive dog with an agressive do using an e-collar. Maybe I misread it, but in all honesty I skim read very long posts
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
This shows your lack of knowledge on how to train a dog, how they learn and how their mind works, when a dog has a shock/hurt their instinct is to run to were/who they feel safe, zap a dog with a collar he runs to his owner, he doesn't understand why he was zapped or what zapped him, all he knows it happened so he runs to his owner who he thinks will protect him not realising that his owner caused it.
You had better tell this to Ben then, because clearly he totally disagrees with you.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

05-11-2013, 01:08 PM
For the last time!! We used the e collar to train a recall NOT for the aggression.
Interesting, some of the most aversive trainers I've ever met insist that it's massively counter productive to use aversive techniques when training recall.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
WHAT LINE, WHAT COLLAR? I HAVE NEVER TOLD YOU TO USE EITHER. Maybe you will now realise that you are putting things into my posts which are not their.

Put a photo up of him and I will get someone to ask him, then we will know what he things of the collar.

Of course you had a choice with Ben, no matter how many ways we try there is always another which we haven't, this is why I prefer positive training, if my brain doesn't work out other ways there is always someone who can. I this from experience that many brains are much better than one.

the long line that you mentioned I should use
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by Dogloverlou View Post
I don't know anything about you Gnasher, so can't comment on your situation with Ben. But saw the mention of Lou Castle there and had to cringe a little. That man drives me mad! I wouldn't mind his stance on e-collars if it wasn't for the fact he's so blinkered to e-collars being the ONLY way of training that he dismisses other peoples accounts and experiences using different training methods. He joined another forum I belong to as an "invited" guest and was very arrogant and rude and it was more or less his way or the highway kind of attitude. He teaches puppy basic obedience using the collar from as young as 10 weeks old. That to me is just plain wrong and totally unnecessary. I can't take a trainer seriously when he feels that level of correction is needed on a 10 week old puppy.

Just out of interest, if the collar became illegal in England, as it is in Wales, what would you do then? I believe it's only a matter of time until that law is passed here also.
Hello Lou - now I know who "Lou" is - I assumed you were Lou Castle.

To answer your last question, I would ignore the law. Ben wears an e collar, it is not used, sometimes he does not wear it at all. There is no need for us to use it because his recall is now perfect.

You would never know he is wearing a collar because he has an extremely heavy double wolf coat - it is hidden beneath his furry neck!!

What would happen if someone DID see that Ben was wearing an e collar and reported us to whoever you report these things to? We would most likely be fined - so what? I care about my dog and his health, wealth and happiness, and would have to cough up - although if OH did not have the controller with him when spotted, then i do not think there would be a case against us. In other words, if it does become illegal, then Ben will wear the collar but we won't have the controller with us.
Page 21 of 44 « First < 11 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 31 > Last »