Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 07:46 AM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
If I had the power I would lock the thread with this as the final statement. It completely sums up why we have such an issue with Staffies in the UK today. Complete respect to TabithaJ

Thank you very much.
Craig & Lorna
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-08-2011, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Aggression is usually displayed when fear is felt. So this breeder is breeding timid dogs - or mistreating them so they feel fear. Lovely.
If that statement didn't show your complete lack of knowledge and understanding of the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, i may be offended

Sal and numerous other members here have dog aggressive dogs, do they all mistreat their dogs too ?

I am irrisponsible, i do not health test and now i mistreat my dogs ....

I see that you were one of the posters from one of the other Stafford aggression threads too, obviously didn't take anything on board that was being said then either !

I can completely understand why a majority of them gave up.

In response to TabithaJ : I know where all of the puppies that we have bred are, we speak to their owners be it via email, PM on a "breed specific" forum or on the phone. Everyone of them knows that we will take back anyone of the dogs that we are responsible for. So although i cannot guarantee that none of their owners will ever put them into rescue, we have done everything to ensure that they don't. Then there is the fact that i would never sell a pup to anyone who was not aware of the fact that he/she could become dog aggressive, and that i thought would deal with the issue responsibly should it arise.

Once again for the record, i have never said that i would actively look for a dog aggressive dog. What i said was, that a Stafford being dog aggressive would not dissuade me from using it. It is quite clear that anyone that would has no understanding of the breed.

I have noticed that a few people have just said aggression, i said "dog aggression" not just an aggressive dog. There is a very big difference between a dog aggressive Stafford and just an aggresive one.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by Craig & Lorna View Post
If that statement didn't show your complete lack of knowledge and understanding of the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, i may be offended

Sal and numerous other members here have dog aggressive dogs, do they all mistreat their dogs too ?

I am irrisponsible, i do not health test and now i mistreat my dogs ....

I see that you were one of the posters from one of the other Stafford aggression threads too, obviously didn't take anything on board that was being said then either !

I can completely understand why a majority of them gave up.

In response to TabithaJ : I know where all of the puppies that we have bred are, we speak to their owners be it via email, PM on a "breed specific" forum or on the phone. Everyone of them knows that we will take back anyone of the dogs that we are responsible for. So although i cannot guarantee that none of their owners will ever put them into rescue, we have done everything to ensure that they don't. Then there is the fact that i would never sell a pup to anyone who was not aware of the fact that he/she could become dog aggressive, and that i thought would deal with the issue responsibly should it arise.

Once again for the record, i have never said that i would actively look for a dog aggressive dog. What i said that a Stafford being dog aggressive would not dissuade me from using it. It is quite clear that anyone that would has no understanding of the breed.

I have noticed that a few people have just said aggression, i said "dog aggression" not just an aggressive dog. There is a very big difference between a dog aggressive Stafford and just an aggresive one.
I do understand what you are saying, and I don't class you as a bad breeder, it sounds as if you do everything by the book, as is required by the breed clubs.

However, I just cannot understand why you wouldn't dismiss a da dog from your breeding program and search for a good alternative to try to ensure that none of your line are affected in future...surely there is less chance of one of your pups becoming da in the future if there is nothing in the line that is that way inclined?

If everyone stopped using the da dogs and only used those with a good temperament then this tendancy could be bred out without losing the good locks and the spirit of the breed
Craig & Lorna
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-08-2011, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
I do understand what you are saying, and I don't class you as a bad breeder, it sounds as if you do everything by the book, as is required by the breed clubs.

However, I just cannot understand why you wouldn't dismiss a da dog from your breeding program and search for a good alternative to try to ensure that none of your line are affected in future...surely there is less chance of one of your pups becoming da in the future if there is nothing in the line that is that way inclined?

If everyone stopped using the da dogs and only used those with a good temperament then this tendancy could be bred out without losing the good locks and the spirit of the breed
Hi,

It maybe has something to do with the fact that you and a few others here sees a dog aggressive dog as "affected" or that it has something wrong with it. Myself along with hundreds/thousands of other owners/breeders/exhibitors see it as a breed trait and something that we are happy to live with in a responsible manner owning a Stafford.

I really do not think that a majority here (Most do not even own a Stafford) understand that what they are asking is ridiculous.
Snoringbear
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-08-2011, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
I'm sure the KC BS doesn't advocate DA as part of the temperament & character isn't it

Obviously someone has interpreted the bits in red as showing DA
I agree. Most of that temprement qualities in the standard suggest gameness which often seems to be misinterpreted as aggression. I certainly wouldn't consider a DA dog as "reliable".
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 10:43 AM
Hi,

It maybe has something to do with the fact that you and a few others here sees a dog aggressive dog as "affected" or that it has something wrong with it. Myself along with hundreds/thousands of other breeders/exhibitors see it as a breed trait and something that we are happy to live with in a responsible manner owning a Stafford.

I really do not think that a majority here (Most do not even own a Stafford) understand that what they are asking is ridiculous.
I would have thought that most dog owners would think that DA is not wanted in any breed, I don't consider my views or opinions to be ridiculous!!
Snoringbear
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-08-2011, 10:43 AM
Very well researched article on inherited aggression:

http://www.pitbullguru.com/InheritedDogAggression.pdf
Craig & Lorna
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-08-2011, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
I would have thought that most dog owners would think that DA is not wanted in any breed, I don't consider my views or opinions to be ridiculous!!
The point that seems to be continually missed is this is not every breed we are talking about. We are talking specifically about the Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

If someone told you that they wanted a (Don't mean to keep using the German Shephered) German Shepherd but they really did not want a dog that was protective of it's owner or home, you would tell them to look at a different breed !

If you do not want a potentially dog aggressive dog then don't buy a Stafford !
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 10:54 AM
Hi,

It maybe has something to do with the fact that you and a few others here sees a dog aggressive dog as "affected" or that it has something wrong with it. Myself along with hundreds/thousands of other owners/breeders/exhibitors see it as a breed trait and something that we are happy to live with in a responsible manner owning a Stafford.

I really do not think that a majority here (Most do not even own a Stafford) understand that what they are asking is ridiculous

Actually, the only 'ridiculous' thing here is that you, who claim to care about the breed, are happy to use dog aggressive Staffies to breed from.

It's the equivalent to a Lab breeder using dogs with bad hip scores to breed from.

My dog plays with a few Staffies at our local park as the breed is pretty popular round here. These dogs have a fab temperament and I am sure their owners would claim they are 'true' Staffies.
It is you and breeders who share your mindset that are producing dog aggressive Staffies - many of whom then end up in rescues and being euthanised.

You have the choice to breed from dogs with great temperaments OR dogs that are dog aggressive.
Craig & Lorna
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-08-2011, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post

It's the equivalent to a Lab breeder using dogs with bad hip scores to breed from.
After trawling through 9 pages of your previous posts, that comment does not surprise me at all
Page 10 of 18 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »